ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
7/6/22 12:59 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/eR0sbGJd_bY

Is racing in the rain really an art? Someone should write a book about that. Regardless, finding grip on a wet circuit can quickly become a challenge for the inexperienced.

Luckily, pro driver Tanner Foust is no stranger to wet conditions and shares his tips and tricks for finding grip in the rain.

Watch more videos

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/6/22 1:06 p.m.

My rain tip: The painted lines might be slipperier. Or not. 

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand New Reader
7/6/22 1:42 p.m.

My rain tip...avoid it if you can. :) If you can't be vewwy vewwy kehhful till you figure out where its slick and where it isnt. Which way would you rather lose a race? By crashing cause you were foolish or because you drove too slow but kept the car and yourself in one piece?

David S. Wallens
7/6/22 2:57 p.m.

In reply to livinon2wheels :

Well, that, too.

So, several years ago at Sebring, I was in a Subaru–and just got clobbered by all the GT3 Porsches. But it was a track day, so who cares, right?

But then it rained. :) 

jfryjfry
jfryjfry SuperDork
7/7/22 9:07 p.m.

Love that guy.  He is a very good and very talented person

David S. Wallens
7/7/22 9:56 p.m.

In reply to jfryjfry :

He's our second-favorite stunt driver. :)

And, seriously, Tanner has always been very kind. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
6/29/23 12:14 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

My rain tip: The painted lines might be slipperier. Or not. 

Learn to drive on snow and ice.  Rain is a cakewalk after that. 

hobiercr
hobiercr GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
6/29/23 12:20 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

And then the front straight flooded. Sebring can turn into a lake REAL quick.

gbuff
gbuff GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/2/23 3:42 p.m.

In reply to hobiercr :

If you have a weak heart don't try to drive drive Mid-Ohio in the rain with any pace at all.

HapDL
HapDL New Reader
12/27/23 2:52 p.m.

In Canada we race on ice in the winter.  We have stud classes, but we have more cars running rubber to ice (no studs).  Lots of body contact, you don't want to bring the wife's grocery getter.

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/27/23 4:05 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I guess that subie showed those Porsches a thing or two in the rain huh

grafmiata
grafmiata UltraDork
12/29/23 2:19 a.m.
gbuff said:

In reply to hobiercr :

If you have a weak heart don't try to drive drive Mid-Ohio in the rain with any pace at all.

It'll be interesting to see how Mud-Ohio is after the repave.  I actually know a couple of people who are pissed about the reapave, because they actually ENJOY the place in the wet.  And they've got it figured out about as well as you can figure it out.

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
12/29/23 6:16 a.m.

I was first out in a Lemons race after a rainy night on a totally wet track.   My plan was to get behind the fastest car of the weekend and follow him.  We took a line that crisscrossed the dry line reducing sweeping turns and extending the straits, it worked amazingly well.   After a several laps the track started to dry at which point he walked away from me.

A track day included an hour or so of just enough rain to need wipers.  I wanted my moneys worth so I worked on SMOOTH, only lost about a second and a half per lap.  Continued smooth on a dry track took almost a second off my lap times.   Rain is a good teacher.

Olemiss540
Olemiss540 Dork
12/29/23 8:46 a.m.
gbuff said:

In reply to hobiercr :

I won't even drive my tow rig in the PADDOCK at mid-o in the rain. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PG44oRtpIk0nnpGl6YZbKpEw2tN8tEiqmpo7RX1gWsxOTaGPyvCVmhzfiflZTH34