NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 10:43 a.m.

Well, I went looking for a small FR car because I want to sell my GTI, love the car but, wanted rwd and looked at a few rusty Chevettes and came across this MKII Cortina....not for sale near me so I kept looking and decided to look up some old Toyota's, and I found a 1980 Just was curious as to what I need to look for or replace, what gets swapped and such, I do know that AE86 suspension pretty much bolts right on it....learn me! ha

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
12/21/10 4:13 p.m.

A little rough looking, but fun too.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/21/10 4:28 p.m.

Basically AE86 suspension in a less drift-taxed package, and with a pushrod hemi motor instead of the OHC mill. It'll either have the 1.8L 3T-C or 1.6L 2T-C, and I'm fairly certain all later cars had the bigger engine. If you're somewhere with loose emissions laws, you can drop in a 2T-GTE for some tarbo-powas. For some motivation, try here

I'd buy one in a heartbeat.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/21/10 4:32 p.m.

How hard is it to drop in a 4AGE to turn them into "stealth Hachi Rokus"?

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter SuperDork
12/21/10 5:07 p.m.
BoxheadTim wrote: How hard is it to drop in a 4AGE to turn them into "stealth Hachi Rokus"?

Probably on par with doing a GTSR5 swap plus motormounts, (I'm pretty sure the trannies swap) though, honestly, I'd keep the 3T. I've heard crazy stories about how much power those things can make with a simple valve job and cam swap, and my understanding is with the right cam they're fully capable of the same kind of rpm as a 16v 4AGE.

I'd ping Oldskooltoy, he's in the middle of a TE build and has a lot of experience with TEs and AEs.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent Reader
12/21/10 5:28 p.m.

I believe the 83s (at least some if not all) had 4AC motor instead of the 3TC which would make a 4AGE swap easier.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
12/21/10 8:17 p.m.

Keep the 3T-C

They have more potential for stupud amounts of power than the 4A-GE.

You just need to work a bit harder and spend a bit more money to get it.

Shawn

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
12/21/10 10:10 p.m.

I had the good fortune to find a 4AC powered car to begin with.... http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/reader-rides/2130/

1980 will be a 3TC powered car.... better in some respects, worse in others, than a 4AGE swap

NickF40
NickF40 GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/21/10 11:10 p.m.

First off, yeah it's not that bad, as obviously in the pictures haha I love it already, even though the exhaust is just rubbish! (4-2-1 straight to an obnoxious round tuner muffler lol But the 3TC is staying, I like the 4AG's with ITB's and stuff but there's just something about the 3TC. I did want to put some AE86 parts on the suspension but for now just replace the worn out stuff.

I hear the the 3TC's can hold good boost but hey, we'll see

HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox
HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox SuperDork
12/22/10 7:44 a.m.

Search youtube for "3tc turbo" and prepare to have your jaw hit the floor.

There's something that's just.... WRONG about what people do to those motors.

Keep a close eye on Ebay. I've seen fully built 3tc heads go for $200.

ClemSparks
ClemSparks SuperDork
12/22/10 8:12 a.m.

If I could find another good example of one of these, I'd continue to daily drive one. They really are neat little cars.

They look GREAT with the Celica wheels (like you have on the rear).

Clem

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
12/22/10 11:35 a.m.

the biggest negative about the "T" powered cars isn't the engine... the "T" powered cars use older style worm and roller steering - pitmans arm, idler arm etc, etc, while the "A" powered cars use rack and pinion.

And because of the oil pans position... it isn't easy to put a rack on a car with a "T" engine

Capt Slow
Capt Slow Dork
12/22/10 5:00 p.m.

you guys are a bad influance because of this thread, look what I found

http://sfbay.craigslist.org/eby/cto/2121176623.html

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero HalfDork
12/22/10 9:12 p.m.

In reply to oldeskewltoy:

Well I'll be daaa . . . Thanks for that tidbit of information.

HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox
HalfTrac, Lord of the FWD deathbox SuperDork
12/22/10 10:24 p.m.

Meh. None of that is important. This is the only thing that matters:

http://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=3tc+turbo&aq=f

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bl7toO29X9afOyX2bbSnkkw7GY6PYh3Rm8W6kV2qpE5YRldj1lVHmDyXatlegqPs