1 2 3
Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/9/14 2:15 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Hmm. 150whp in a 3100lb car doesn't seem that impressive. How quick are they? Am I missing something?

That's basically 1.8t Jetta territory as far as power and weight go, but with better fuel economy and... you know... not Volkswagen.

Fr3AkAzOiD
Fr3AkAzOiD New Reader
3/9/14 4:38 p.m.

145hp isn't bad in my Cobalt XFE (eco) 5 speed. But that's also in a car weighing 2750 lbs +/- 50 lbs. With the 6 speed can't see it being that much worse. 0 - 60 still well under 10 seconds?

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
3/9/14 6:35 p.m.

Dont get me wrong, 150whp in a 3100 lb car isnt bad. That's not far off of the top-engined midsize sedans of the 90s. For example, a 4th gen maxima made about 160whp and weighed a bit over 3000 and with a 5 spd those things were quick-to-fast, depending on who you ask.

I think the 1.4T's potential goes a lot farther in a Sonic, but a 40+mpg Cruze 6spd that's definitely not slow is an idea with some appeal.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
3/10/14 2:10 p.m.

In reply to Vigo:

Plus the Sonic's dashboard is awesome.

Definitely more potential in the Sonic, but even that is relatively heavy (I guess maybe not compared to most of it's contemporaries).

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/19/14 12:12 p.m.

Have a loaner '15 Cruze LT 1.4L turbo, auto w/ 1300 miles for the day. Very surprised to say the least. At 6'-1" and a few extra pounds have no problems after initial adjusting power seats and mirrors. Cabin is nicely laid out, convenient and comfortable w/ none of that old plasticky feel (I'm an old skeptical Cavalier guy). This car is small by my standards but doesn't feel small.

Car soaked up typical Pa. E36 M3ty road bumps easily. Very surprised w/ the acceleration from a stop or passing on the interstate. I consistently found myself 10 mph over the speed I thought I was doing. Thinking this would be a great commuter car.

The engine didn't feel buzzy but sounded buzzy at certain RPM and load. Now that reminded me of my '85 Cavalier, they need to fix that. Steering reacts like right now to the least input but maybe that's just me after DDing trucks. Prolly want to dampen it up a little.

If I was into a longer commute I'd definitely consider this car.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/19/14 3:07 p.m.

I've just purchased a new ('14) Sonic 1.4T 6MT … I'm liking it … first trip Asheville to Danville and back .. w/~ 900 mi on the car, netted 42.xx going and 37.xx coming back (hint: uphill, overall, coming back)

it's comfortable .. on that trip (~3 1/2 hrs each way) I didn't have any back problems like I've always had in the Integra … the ergonomics seem just fine

Sultan
Sultan Dork
11/19/14 3:45 p.m.

We have had our of well over a year and still love. Great MPGs. We did one 50 segment that averaged over 50!

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/19/14 6:47 p.m.

what type of grade, and what speed ?

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
11/20/14 8:19 a.m.

A lot of talk about performance increases as we do here on GRM.

What about reliability?

Should I take it from the lack of issues in posts that these things are bullet proof reliable?

I am also on the market for a 2004 Toyota Corolla replacement. Looking at used Cruzes.

wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
11/20/14 9:04 a.m.

there are some ongoing problems, some fixed problems … just like any car these days

best info I've found is here (this is for the Sonic, but the Cruze would be pretty much the same)

http://www.sonicownersforum.com/forum/

fasted58
fasted58 PowerDork
11/20/14 12:26 p.m.

Returned the '15 2LT to the dealer this a.m. With not much time in the car I'm impressed. Really like to spend more time in this car, didn't beat me up at all... well, like I kinda expected. My old commute was 40 miles one way, this car woulda fit right in. Surprised at the ride quality but maybe that was just being next to new, wonder how it holds up over the miles? Cool in traffic too, beating people outta the light and passing on the interstate. Bet the manual would be a blast.

Dealer has $2500 off on all new '14 models. 1LT's for sub $20K, 2LT's around $23K, only one diesel but w/ heated leather, sunroof, rear cam, etc. for $27K. Sticker at 46 mpg hwy, wonder what it can really pull?

Will definitely be keeping the Cruze in mind now, no use running the truck year round, the S197 has earned toy status now, gonna check me out some used Cruze for DD.

Greg Voth
Greg Voth Dork
11/20/14 12:44 p.m.

I've had a 2014 1LT 1.4t 6-speed for just under 6 months and 24,000 miles with no issues. I've got a 100 mile a day commute then driving to inspections. Averaging 33-36mpg depending on how much is highway and how I drive it. Will pull 38-40 at 70mph on the highway but drops off at higher speeds.

Kinda wish I got the Eco for better highway gearing but the price difference they wanted was harder to justify. Got mine for a bit over $16,000.

Coming from a line of 06-14 new every two years it am pleased. Not quite as roomy but otherwise comparable. Quite a bit better mpg to boot.

NGTD
NGTD SuperDork
11/20/14 12:46 p.m.
fasted58 wrote: Dealer has $2500 off on all new '14 models. 1LT's for sub $20K, 2LT's around 23K, only one diesel but w/ heated leather, sunroof, rear cam, etc. for $27K. Sticker at 46 mpg hwy, wonder what it can really pull?

My BIL has a '14 Diesel that he has owned for about 4 months. I will try to find out what he is getting for mileage. He has a 90 minute commute each way.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SAwnXYo4LCwMnoKgRJZdxQqFRH0k6RKxrHDU5GCR4Yw3IaBaeNpLXdNHNDau6WMs