93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
2/6/14 7:58 a.m.

I really need to roll the front fenders on my Civic. Lowering plus the Falken Azenis I have on there is equally a touch of rubbing. What is the best way to go about doing this if I don't have access to a fender roller?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/14 8:05 a.m.

I've thought about buying one of the fender rolling tools. I'm pretty sure that it's one of those things where you could get most of your money back selling it used. But I wouldn't even think about trying it up here in the winter. I'm sure that I would destroy my paint when it's this cold.

Leafy
Leafy Reader
2/6/14 8:06 a.m.

Borrow an eastwood roller. I've done the pipe and the roller method. I'll take the roller any day.

failboat
failboat SuperDork
2/6/14 9:02 a.m.

be sure to heat up the area so the paint doesn't crack. you can use a heat gun carefully (you dont want to burn the paint of course), or a hairdryer in a pinch

if you cant get access to a roller you can use a baseball bat or the handle of a floor jack, something round that you can pry between the tire and fender. theres videos on youtube of this method, its not the best way to do it but it works.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/6/14 9:25 a.m.

Some good discussion from last week.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/please-splain-pulled-fenders/78348/page1/

mndsm
mndsm UltimaDork
2/6/14 9:53 a.m.

I bought a fender roller outright, new, from Eastwood. I have car friends. It paid for itself in the first summer I owned it, and makes me a couple hundred dollars a year now. It's actually on loan as we speak. Easiest money I ever made. I've heard several different methods, my body guy actually did his with a hammer and a block of wood. I know people that have done it with bats, magazines, pipes, etc. The one common theme is get it as hot as you can without bubbling paint to prevent cracking and allow for a smooth roll. Beyond that, my expertise is in using the tool.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QYqnU0Fg3xRlhNxq23YuOPjgLNhN1emRxKvIXMHFKQ7NF1g9N5b9KHOk5g4OY20r