1 2
vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/5/11 10:00 a.m.
carguy123 wrote: WOT is just one data point and you don't drive a car like that much of the time so yes EFI will produce more power and another upside is virtually no maintenance once you are set up.

Agreed. Another thing is that everyday I had a different performance level. If it was rainy it was less snappy. If it was cool and dry the car would light the tires up in 3rd gear.

I will take EFI at this point in time

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/5/11 10:05 a.m.

Thanks for the input guys, and sorry for the threadjack.

Zomby woof
Zomby woof Dork
1/5/11 10:05 a.m.

He asked a pretty specific question.

I answered it correctly.

You can read into it what you want.

fast_eddie_72
fast_eddie_72 HalfDork
1/5/11 10:23 a.m.
vazbmw wrote: LCE gets pretty pricey. If I were doing my 22r/20r today, I would go forced induction. At the time I did the '78 I was racing SCCA autocross and had to stay within class rules.
fast_eddie_72 wrote: http://www.toyotacatalog.net/M1WebGear/ProductDetails.aspx?PartUniqueID=034D672B-558F-4C2D-930C-DD0FDB8ABD00

Yeah, more than I want to pay, but it's pretty neat. I'm betting it works better on a 20R or 20/22 hybrid than a 22. From what I hear, the head is the sticking point, so unless you do a lot of head work, a bunch more air available might not make a big difference. Certainly not where I'm going to start! But you sure would impress the tech folks!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Reader
1/5/11 10:44 a.m.

for the cost of an LCE alone(no management, no transmission).......

pick up a 3SGE BEAMS engine with its attached 6 speed and be done with it!

A few custom mounts... but you end up with 200+hp that is cleaner, and more thrifty than the 20R or 22R ever could.

and there would be nothing cooler(including an RG) than to pop the hood and see a nicely nestled BEAMS peaking out

there are nearly a dozen listed on ebaY... they sell for about $1800-$2500

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/5/11 7:11 p.m.

I learned a lot from working up my 20r/22r, the main thing I learned is to not spend a bunch of dough on 200hp. There are so many other options. I started work on a 1977 Celica and a v8 swap, but I had to relocate before it was done. I sold the cars.

I looked a 3sge's, booste 4age's, 18rg's (too hard to get parts for), 3rz... Point is there are a lot better choices for a sports car engine than a 20r

oldeskewltoy wrote: for the cost of an LCE alone(no management, no transmission)....... pick up a 3SGE BEAMS engine with its attached 6 speed and be done with it! A few custom mounts... but you end up with 200+hp that is cleaner, and more thrifty than the 20R or 22R ever could. and there would be nothing cooler(including an RG) than to pop the hood and see a nicely nestled BEAMS peaking out there are nearly a dozen listed on ebaY... they sell for about $1800-$2500
BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/5/11 7:22 p.m.

Well, I wasn't planning to build a 200bhp 20R . OTOH I'd like a little more pep (who doesn't) and was/am planning to concentrate on mods that don't require open wallet surgery.

The car requires enough money to be thrown at it as it is - it is a project after all - so I'm looking for cost effective upgrades as I expect to have to go through the suspension, plus there's a little bodywork and some interior work that needs doing...

That said, if the Celica turns into a keeper and I want to take it further than I can sensibly take the 20R, I must admit I like the idea of the Beams engine.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
1/5/11 9:11 p.m.

I just saw a liftback at the junkyard(parking lot), a bitchin little car.

All I know about the carbed 22r vs. EFI 22re is that my Uncle had a carbed 22r while I had a 22re. His truck gave him trouble with smog, with cold starting, etc, while my 22re has been bullet proof with no tuning issues so far.

Good luck Box Head.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Wvyp7mf8DIfwROalwWaqM4xxjcdOlZ7atlqNDTbyQhhPIEED9Okks5QZ8O10NvWm