Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham UberDork
8/7/17 1:47 p.m.

[Editor's Note: These Tech Tips originally ran in our January 2016 issue. Some information may be different.]

MEET OUR EXPERT:
James Clay
BimmerWorld
 (877) 639-9648

As with any newer BMW that came with dealer service included, don’t change oil based on the dash message. Also, it’s worth running a very mild cleaner (we use Red Line Engine Oil Break-In Additive) through the engine to clean up …

Read the rest of the story

AlcantaraFTW
AlcantaraFTW New Reader
10/22/19 9:24 a.m.

No mention of the wastegate rattle? Weren't the water pumps and valve cover, oil pan,oil filter housing gaskets still an issue on the N54 along with the N52? Also, what was the official fix for high pressure fuel pumps?

I've heard a lot of people liken this motor to the 2JZ in terms of stock capabilities, and I believe it. I've seen guys on stock internals making 700 wheel all day at PittRace on E85.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
10/22/19 9:34 a.m.

What about the intake manifold sandblasting thing? Dont they get all e36m3ed up with carbon deposits or somethin? 

As far as the 2jz comparison, a 2jz has none of these issues, they just work for several hundred thousand miles without any bullE36 M3 at all. Maybe the blocks can handle some big(ish) power, but that is where any similarities end. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
a6DGAi6vTRSH1Un0jEJBdTFOyY2AVgIdk4e3bp9GVKGUP6iSRFNfZoxamTKaF25i