Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
7/24/17 10:48 a.m.

MEET OUR EXPERT:
Keith Tanner
Flyin’ Miata
flyinmiata.com
(800) FLY-MX5s

Handling is always where the biggest bang for the buck is, of course. The car’s pretty good for comfort as long as it’s on a good suspension.

My first suggestion on what to address on the 2006–’12 cars is shocks. They were poorly damped from the factory (even the Bilstein-equipped …

Read the rest of the story

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
7/24/17 3:16 p.m.

You can it a good amount of brake under there with just the 17" Tires. Betty has the Fox Sport package on there and I love it. I just removed the rear sway bar because it really wasn't needed with the setup. I have her under 2800LB fully loaded out option wise and an LS3 under the bonnet. It even has the 8.8" Rear which is heavier than the GM one.

You can see even with 245 on there, there is plenty of room with fender rolls and a flare. Realistically, you can go to 255 easy and 275 if you worked your magic some.

Greg Smith (Forum Supporter)
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/15/20 10:30 p.m.

Are there any "easy" power adders for the NC2? 

Does is respond better to opening up the intake, exhaust, spark changes, etc?

Not yet ready for full-on forced induction. 

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
6/15/20 10:56 p.m.

The 2.5 swap might be the easiest power adder.

6/15/20 11:14 p.m.

perhaps so. I see that FM currently doesn't have supercharger kits for the NC :(

But I'm really looking for basic bolt on, so, likely a Mazdaspeed / AEM cold air intake? Maybe?
Even the kind of silly (but substantially cheaper) Cobalt cold air "scoop" seems like it could help. 

6/15/20 11:36 p.m.

Has anyone used an OpenFlash Tablet for the NC Miata? 

Or maybe you have one I could use / rent?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/16/20 8:21 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

Has anyone used an OpenFlash Tablet for the NC Miata? 

Or maybe you have one I could use / rent?

I used one on my last NC years ago. But you can't really "borrow" one from someone since the device "marries" itself to the car.

6/16/20 10:51 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

Was it worth it for you?

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
6/17/20 8:52 a.m.
Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to z31maniac :

Was it worth it for you?

You get more of a bump on the early cars, but it wasn't a big jump or anything.

I honestly wouldn't mess with it unless I was doing an intake, header, exhaust, and then at that point I'd spend the extra on a tuner who uses the ECUTek stuff. Like Mike at XeroLimit.

gardnpc
gardnpc New Reader
3/13/22 9:08 p.m.

In reply to Greg Smith (Forum Supporter) :

I've seen in the forums that the stock air box is pretty efficient with a K&N filter.  I think the biggest gains are on the exhaust side.  The factory header has a pinch at the mid-pipe junction that restricts flow.  

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
3/14/22 12:03 a.m.

In reply to gardnpc :

This is correct. That said, my aem intake is a little more "cold air" and the oem. It does actually lower IAT. 

jwagner (Forum Supporter)
jwagner (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/14/22 1:58 p.m.

An old thread makes a timely comeback - I'm looking for another NC.  Got outbid on the last one on carsandbids, but it was really too nice a car for me to start "improving" so I'll keep looking.

Adding to the above, the tune made a huge difference on my '07 with a full exhaust (header and everything in back of it) and an intake.  I wouldn't bother with those mods without the tune, they didn't make that much difference pre-tune.

newold_m (Forum Supporter)
newold_m (Forum Supporter) Reader
3/14/22 5:45 p.m.

Timely indeed as I just picked up an NC2 sport last weekend. This after a string of NA/NB's with a 987 and S2000 in between. 

Definitely gone now
Definitely gone now SuperDork
3/14/22 11:47 p.m.

Every one wants an NC these days. Why overspend on NA/nb when you can get better performance for slightly less. (That amount shrinks daily)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
JPr2oi7M4SS84ShZ4BL2xiaUux48rUdFnmAyl71oAUcmiCdDk0TuGc9skG9mFR1F