Scott Lear
Scott Lear
6/26/18 8:27 a.m.

Like stories like this? You’ll see every article as soon as it's published by reading the print edition of Grassroots Motorsports. Subscribe now.

Story by Scott R. Lear • Photo Courtesy Scion

Meet Our Expert: JEREMY BOYSEN
FT-86 SpeedFactory
108 Jefferson Ave.
Des Moines, IA 50314
ft86speedfactory.com
(888) 885-2002

For a track or autocross car, the FR-S’s running costs …

Read the rest of the story

Wizard_Of_Maz
Wizard_Of_Maz New Reader
6/26/18 9:04 a.m.

So I was actually looking at the twins to replace my E36 M3 down the road, and I came under the impression that stock cooling is a potential concern on these cars. Am I correct in saying that an oil cooler is effectively a must for hard driving?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
6/26/18 9:29 a.m.

Yep these need an oil cooler badly for any performance use, I'm surprised it wasn't mentioned as a necessary mod (I think it was in a previous GRM article).

I'd really like to own one of these, it's really the only car built with the same philosophy as the old sporty Corollas (AE86/AE92/AE111) - a simple and relatively cheap sports coupe that can still haul 3 or maybe even 4 people and a respectable amount of cargo in dignity. Well, at least the only car like that with RWD...

Jerry
Jerry UberDork
6/26/18 10:41 a.m.

This is still on my list of maybe's after the Abarth.  It was one of 5 or so I considered in early 2014 until the Abarth had a $6k rebate down to just over $20k brand new.

Wiscocrashtest
Wiscocrashtest New Reader
6/26/18 1:25 p.m.

I tried to buy an Abarth spider before I got my BRZ. Both are very fun.

daiheadjai
daiheadjai New Reader
7/12/18 3:54 p.m.

You can actually get Impreza/WRX crash-bolts from Subaru (or Scion) that will allow you ~-1.2ish degrees of camber. I think they were about $15 for the set when I had mine.

A lightweight crank pulley also wakes up the response a bit (the stock pulley is about 5lbs, while most aftermarket pulleys from Kartboy, Perrin, etc. weigh about 1lb).

Skip the intake and go for a decent panel filter instead (I got an Injen Short-ram on mine because I found one for cheap on the forums; it made the car bog and sometimes shut the engine off randomly, although it did sound nice a WOT).

bmxr
bmxr New Reader
8/30/18 6:23 p.m.
Wizard_Of_Maz said:

So I was actually looking at the twins to replace my E36 M3 down the road, and I came under the impression that stock cooling is a potential concern on these cars. Am I correct in saying that an oil cooler is effectively a must for hard driving?

Expect open track temps of about 260 stock and 230 if you add a good cooler. 260 isn’t that bad but pressure reportedly drops dramatically at that temp. I have not logged pressures and verified, but that’s what I hear...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
L6212KmokwQYOJKigiXp8XXgGRp0RYrnuAzTvUMzjINUictOhkkkRHOqToia6gLH