1 2 3
03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/19/21 9:55 p.m.

Now they got it right! I really like that.

03Panther
03Panther SuperDork
1/19/21 10:00 p.m.

Lotta stuff to like about that one, as well. I could do without the uglyness of the scoop on the roof, and the front chin spoiler does not suit the rest of the lines,  but thats picking nits!

tr8todd
tr8todd SuperDork
1/20/21 4:36 a.m.

I got this sitting in the back of my shop.  Started working on it 25 years ago.  Messed up the rear fenders.  They don't look the same.  It pissed me off so its been in garage purgatory for 23 years.  Its available if anybody wants it.  Can even throw in a tuck load of Buick/Oldsmobile 215 engines.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/20/21 7:11 a.m.

How far down the rabbit hole did you want to go?

I'm a bit biased, but NOHOME's last two examples(Edit: one was 03Panther's-whoops) are a bit too modern to fit my mental image of an outlaw. Something more like this suits me.

I also think, just because they were available back in the day, the Sebring flares are legit, though tastefully shaped flares with less bubble would work for me, too.

Please note, all the above are opinion,s and smell just as much as (insert part of the anatomy here).

Also, my search led me to this, and I was so impressed, I had to share.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UberDork
1/20/21 8:11 a.m.
NOHOME said:

How far down the rabbit hole did you want to go?

THIS BERKIN FARR!!!!!!!

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/20/21 8:20 a.m.

I think a Group A or B take on the B GT could be pretty cool.  Something like the bi-plane rear spoiler used on a couple of period Fords could be cool.  

I'm a little confused why there are B GT's in this thread showing rounded arch extensions in the front but boxy rears.  I like the look of the rounded arches a lot and don't understand why that same shape wasn't used all around.

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
Robbie (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 8:26 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

yeah those are much more in line with my mental image of "outlaw" as well. Probably strongly influenced by the lancia I just read about in classic motorsports.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand UberDork
1/20/21 8:31 a.m.

More details on the crazy yellow MGB. 

Aps Motorsports who apparently is building it.

Speedhunters article on it.

It's apparently gone dark.  Last updates seem to be from 2016. 

Obviously I'm a fan of the turned up to 11 aspect of it.

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/20/21 8:48 a.m.

In reply to nocones :

I think ofy our car every time I see the protoype MGB GT

For the rest of you all. I have a nice starting point for such a project. Skip the rust repair. Has 4 link coil over rear suspension. Fresh new suspension. fresh interior and OD gearbox. Center lock alloys. 9k Canadian

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/20/21 9:09 a.m.

In reply to NOHOME :

gah I think about your car way too much already! I know you've sorta posted it for sale in posts like this before, and I haven't forgotten.

In reply to Robbie (Forum Supporter) :

Yeah, that Lancia is SWEET. But for me, an outlaw has to be classy as E36 M3 (which the Lancia surely is).

This one really pushes the idea, maybe goes over the line IMHO. Either way, I like it.

And I definitely think NOCONES crank it to 11 idea has its place. Just not my idea of outlaw. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
1/20/21 9:40 a.m.

In reply to wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) :

I like that white one. Always liked MGB-GTs. I've spent a lot of time trying to figure out how to add a roof to an NA/NB Miata and build a GT in the same vein as the MG.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
1/20/21 9:40 a.m.
wheelsmithy (Joe-with-an-L) (Forum Supporter) said:

I'm a bit biased, but NOHOME's last two examples are a bit too modern to fit my mental image of an outlaw. Something more like this suits me.

All of the cars in this style are just cementing my desire to own a B-GT if I ever have space to store half a dozen cars inside.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/20/21 10:01 a.m.
pres589 (djronnebaum) said:

I'm a little confused why there are B GT's in this thread showing rounded arch extensions in the front but boxy rears.  I like the look of the rounded arches a lot and don't understand why that same shape wasn't used all around.

Because those are the factory "Sebring" flares that you can buy off the shelf. Any others are basically DIY. 

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/20/21 10:07 a.m.

Well, here's mine in current state. Note the aluminum hood I have in the background hanging on the wall. Maybe I just go for maroon with a gray hood haha. Though the hood does need body work. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) PowerDork
1/20/21 10:09 a.m.

Ah.

wspohn
wspohn SuperDork
1/20/21 11:27 a.m.

I really do not like the RBB nose!

If you are going to all that work anyway, why not go for the RV8 looks....?

And would a 4 cylinder with more power potential than the Miata appeal to you?  There are several (the one I am quite familiar with is the Ecotec).

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
1/20/21 1:07 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

That is how I ended up in the Molvo game.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
1/20/21 3:02 p.m.

This is the last MGB GT I did rust repair and prepped for paint:

Note the subtle steel rear flares (made from a '90s Maxima front fender cut down).

And on the current '76 MGB project, we're using the MorSpeed bumpers to get rid of the rubber bumpers, but not go chrome.

And on a previous project, I did sand down and paint the rubber bumpers. I like it a lot better than the black...

maj75 (Forum Supporter)
maj75 (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
1/20/21 6:15 p.m.

This:

Thanks. Now I have to get an MGB-GT project to go with the 280z and 914...

Possibly the three cars most prone to rust, terrific.

https://lasvegas.craigslist.org/cto/d/las-vegas-1971-mg-bgt-hard-top-runs/7264187257.html

Robbie (Forum Supporter)
1/21/21 9:22 a.m.

It's so interesting to me that the green and yellow MGB (MGC? it has the hood but people put those on B's all the time especially for engine swaps) seems to be something that is pretty well liked in this thread while the Magnus Walker car is pretty well disliked. 

Yet, they are both basically the exact same build. Just different colors and different base cars. Is it just that we like green and yellow but not red white and blue?

Magnus Walker's 277 Outlaw 911 Lives! - TeamSpeed

JoeTR6
JoeTR6 Dork
1/21/21 10:13 a.m.

Lots of good ideas here.  I love the Lemans paint scheme.  It reminds me of the Triumph TRS cars.

Really, do what you like and you can't go wrong.

I've seen several Rover V8 conversions and like the way they drive.  Plenty of torque everywhere.  This would be a project worth doing.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jN0WzWIAioJ6ZXSoGf6uzfvFMUPQOH29JxMIqH1Z0Ru47qjRaXSTYBq28HWiM5Bk