EvanB (Forum Supporter)
EvanB (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 1:46 p.m.

In reply to Lof8 - Andy :

I always read it as Lot 8, just now noticed that it is a "F."

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
4/10/20 1:48 p.m.

I joined in '04 or '05.  I had a convertible.  It was blue. 

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
4/10/20 1:49 p.m.
ShawnG said:

It's my name...

Used to be Trans-maro because the first 2nd-gen Trans-Am I ever bought was someone's failed Chevy swap project. "Hurr-durr same as a Camaro" No it's not and that's why nothing worked properly when I got it. I got a Trans-Am with a Camaro engine in it, it was a Trans-maro.

I'm glad you kept the avatar.  If you had changed it, too, I would not have known who you were when I came back to GRM after taking some time off

N Sperlo
N Sperlo MegaDork
4/10/20 1:57 p.m.

It's uhh... It's my name.

Many, many,  moons ago, while dating my now wife, she would say I was a "such a dirtydog".  The group of biker boys I was carousing with picked up on it.  That was in my ruder, cruder days, now I'm a "refined, retired gentleman".   My name is Jim, "dirtydog" is a relic of the past.

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/10/20 2:57 p.m.

Nothing too fancy with mine-- it's just a chosen name I liked the sound of that I'd used on other forums.  It could have just as easily been "Erasmo"

It's misspelled compared to the character's name from Chitty-Chitty-Bang-Bang (Caractacus Potts) who is pictured in my avatar.

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 3:07 p.m.
Duke said:

'Duke' is my nickname since birth.  My real name is George and I come from a long line of Georges, but they didn't want to call me George even though my grandfather was dead and my father never went by George normally.  Could have named me something else, but tradition is a harsh master for some folks, I guess.

I'm lucky that 'Duke' wasn't taken here - on forums it usually is, and often by someone who made 3 posts 4 years ago and hasn't posted since.

My avatar is my hero and looks close enough to real life that it works for me.

My family started calling my father "Tommy" when my grandmother was still pregnant. She named him Larry, but to this day, 80 years later, his sister and her whole side of the family still call him Tommy.

vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/20 3:38 p.m.

Because both have meant a lot to me. I no longer own that particular VW, but still have the Vette.

slefain
slefain PowerDork
4/10/20 3:43 p.m.

My middle name initial "S" and an old family name passed down for generations "LeFain". Crammed it all together into "slefain" because it is always available.

jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter)
jerrysarcastic (Forum Supporter) New Reader
4/10/20 4:08 p.m.

In other forums I’ve always had a name that was related to whatever car I had at the time, then inevitably moved on to some new car and suddenly my name makes no sense. I decided to future-proof myself this time, and since my name is Jerry and I’m very sarcastic, I just mashed them together to what I have now.

Maybe I should have gone with Jerry-rigger or similar as I’m definitely one of those too, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Avatar is John Cleese, one of the patron saints of sarcasm

84FSP
84FSP SuperDork
4/10/20 5:05 p.m.

84FSP is my GTI's autox moniker.  Started using it consistently for the various forums.

Peabody here (athletic supporter)
Peabody here (athletic supporter) UltimaDork
4/10/20 5:16 p.m.

I've been known to berkeley with my username from time to time

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/10/20 5:28 p.m.

This really is a fun thread, thanks to everyone who's posted up to now. 

I didn't think of asking about the avatars, so it's fun to read about them too. Mine is from a lifetime ago when I trained harness horses. Almost everything from that time was lost in a house fire, so that's one of the only pictures I have. 

This is from 1983 on the half mile training track at Pompano Park. I was training a horse named Contender, full brother to the pacer Merger, 1982 winner of the biggest event of the Pacing Triple Crown, the Little Brown Jug. 

Although Contender was bred only as a pacer, we trained him on the trot for the entire winter. It's very rare for a pacer to be able to get out of his own way when trotting, but this horse was a natural.

In the picture, we were training him the very first time all winter in hobbles, so he was pacing for the first time all that year. We warmed him up on the trot, put the hobbles on for the last heat, hooked him into the racing sulky, and went out and went a training mile at race speed. The picture was taken just prior to the finish, and we were really cooking. 

This is a portrait of me from about the same time, painted by my dad. I just work on cats and dogs now.

SuperDave
SuperDave New Reader
4/10/20 6:08 p.m.

Motorcycling buddy and I have the same first name.  On track or trail, when one of our riding decisions produced an unexpected outcome it usually resulted in the question "Well how did that happen Super Dave? ".

A wink and a nod to Super Dave Osborne, stuntman extraordinaire.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/10/20 7:01 p.m.

Apparently I have a guilty face. 

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
4/10/20 7:18 p.m.
L5wolvesf said:
DWNSHFT said:

Avatar is my spec miata with which I scored many more wins and two SCCA championships, pictured at the Phoenix International Raceway road course when there was such a thing.

I raced there a lot in the early 90s when were you there?

I raced there a ton, from about 2003-2008.  Then instructed and coached for another several years.  Well, all the way until they closed the road course.

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/10/20 7:28 p.m.

Screen name has been my nickname since Junior year of HS. It was earned at a party that may have involved alcohol and Twister. Outside of family, few use or even know my real name. When I used to join a lot of forums, if I found gumby to be taken, I would add 23 on the end or drop the vowel for gmby23, which is my email as well. The 23 comes from being a huge Michael Jordan fan in my teens, and has always been my car number if I get the option.

The avatar is a heavily cropped pic of the Cobra IRS I had in my '87 Turbocoupe. I use it everywhere also, because I'm a sucker for routine.

irish44j (Forum Supporter)
irish44j (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/10/20 7:32 p.m.

I've used this name for about 20 years on forums.

Irish = my last name is Irish, and I am of Irish descent

44 = the number I used on sports teams in middle/high school, and also in racing (or variations of it like 444, 424, etc.)

J = first letter of my name

Keeping the same username makes it easy to find stuff I posted years ago, or photos, or whatever. Seriously, I'll Google "irish44j e21 engine swap" or whatever, if someone asks me about how I did something years ago and I've forgotten (but know I always document stuff). 

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/10/20 7:45 p.m.

Wally came from my parents, Im one of a long line of Wallys. The avitar is me trying to figure out how to take a selfie with Boris Said. 

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/10/20 8:29 p.m.
  • 759(.32) the elapsed time set by John Heinricy at....
  • NRNG (Nurburgring) with the introduction of the 2nd gen 'V' 
  • avatar taken from the autotrader ad where I stalked this sled for at least six months at a Cadillac dealership in Portland , Oregon on consignment....PO was in heart health related services/clinics and apparently passed from cardiac arrest......his dear mom wanted it gone....and I obliged. wink

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltimaDork
4/10/20 8:48 p.m.

Simple, V8 powered Ford Ranger. Of course this was in the time of the 5.0 Mustang "explosion"....

Avatar is just a cutaway LS7 I found from LS1TECH.....

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/10/20 8:59 p.m.

Kelley is my last name, First name starts with a W and middle name starts with a L. Same with my dad and his dad. We all have different first and middle names but used the same initials. No juniors in my family. I'm the third WLKelley so WLKelley3.

Avatar is my one of my toys. My restored 1970 Opel GT that my dad gave me. I did the restoration on it. I've known the car since new, PO was a friend of the family. Dad bought it from them in the late 80's to teach my youngest sister engines. Dad was an aircraft mechanic starting out in aircraft engines. All of kids had to explain how an engine works and rebuild one as part of learning to drive. I did a 69 Datsun 510 Station Wagon. Next younger sister did a 68 Yamaha 350 twin 2-stroke motor and my youngest sister did the engine in this Opel GT. I helped when I was home on leave between duty stations (Army) and when dad wanted to make room in the garage he gave it to me around 93. I restored it several years ago.

rustybugkiller
rustybugkiller HalfDork
4/10/20 9:07 p.m.

Years ago, Porsche had a " kills bugs fast" commercial. It's stuck with me. In Ohio everything rusts.

759NRNG (Forum Partidario)
759NRNG (Forum Partidario) UltraDork
4/10/20 9:18 p.m.
AngryCorvair said:

berkeley you, I'm not telling you E36 M3 about me, my screen name, or my favorite car!

Oh..oh..oh...and get off my berkin' lawn you waistrels!!!!!

paranoid_android (Forum Supporter)
paranoid_android (Forum Supporter) UberDork
4/10/20 9:36 p.m.

Paranoid_android (by Radiohead) was the song I had playing when I joined GRM.  At that time it was a throwaway username because I only wanted to be able to log in here to see images of NOCONES' MG Midget build.  GRM ended up having a far greater positive impact on my life, so I hung around and the name stuck.

During the time I joined here I was known everywhere else on the internet (which was two MG forums) as owensdad74, because that was what I went by in real life while my oldest son was starting school.  Like "Oh!  So you're Owen's dad?  Can you help Sofia's mom set up the snack table?"

At one point here I went by Brian Cougar Mellonmorse.  That came out of a thread here somewhere.

My avatar is from the game Minecraft.  My boys wanted to start a YouTube channel, and they came up with our gamer names.  TPing Enderman, Creepy Creeper and I was Zipping Zombie.

1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 ... 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
lUXM8XjRQISiW9mw5WwmPGRCrvZr7UqxFxlcHwpPDLVOGuJCppCYjbpaVhdCB1IU