1 ... 7 8 9 10
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter)
Pete Gossett (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/13/20 6:45 p.m.

In reply to noddaz :

Wow, you & NOT A TA are like polar opposites as far as screen names lol. 

alfabeach
alfabeach New Reader
4/14/20 1:04 p.m.

I own an ALFA Romeo and live in Ponte Vedra BEACH

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
4/14/20 1:11 p.m.
noddaz said:

Back in my early days online I had an account through AOL.  When trying to set up the account I needed a screen name.  Time for back story.  At that time I had a 1972 Super Sport Camaro that was my project car.  It seemed anytime I talked to someone about my Camaro I was asked if it was a Z-28.  I was annoyed by this I went as far as the license plate on the car said NOT A Z.

Fast forward back to AOL and needing a screen name.  I tried NOTAZ, NOTAZ28. NOT A Z and it seemed several hundred other combinations that were all in use.  My wife saw my frustrations and suggested NOD A Z (In use on aol) well then use NODD A Z which became Noddaz.

Bingo.  In use ever since.  And the Camaro is long gone.  

Side note, I do have an Eclipse but I will NOT change my name to Not A Vmpr.  Just no.

Shouda gone with Secret Squirrel.

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/14/20 1:18 p.m.

I was (still am) really interested in the movie high fidelity, wasn't sure how to utilize it because at the time amy AOL username was from middle school (moviemonster05) and decided to class it up a bit, so I stuck a random series of numbers that was easy to remember and it just stuck since then, that was sometime around the year 2000...

Maniac0301
Maniac0301 Reader
4/16/20 10:40 a.m.

Way back when looking for a name for the Cleveland Freenet I was playing a lot of Wing Commander.   Maniac was one of the pilots from that game so I used that.   0301 is the day I started dating my wife, March 1st, because Maniac by itself is always taken. 

I also go by :

Dead Tom - My name is Tommy and I like the Muppets

Dangerousmutelunatic, MuteLunatic, DM_Lunatic - references the end of portal 2 with a nod to my OG handle

Meat Shield -  Usually used in FPS games mostly retired. 

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
4/16/20 1:32 p.m.

I had a 92 civic dx hatch in a previous lifetime and i've always kept the name for some odd reason.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/16/20 5:32 p.m.

Name and a couple numbers I like (that are easy to type on a key pad)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/16/20 8:36 p.m.
crankwalk said:

The first build I went really waaay too deep in was my 91 Galant VR4. Never had an issue with crankwalk (it was a 6 bolt crank not known for doing it) but literally everybody not in the Mitsu/DSM world always asked one of two questions: How many transmissions Ive blown up and if it had crankwalk. It just turned into a running inside joke. 

Fun fact: It ran high 11 second 1/4 mile times and regularly had my kayak on top. Surprised many a street cars in Atlanta 15 years or so ago. 

Then later it turned in to less of a sleeper:

Image may contain: 1 person

No photo description available.

No photo description available.

Holy E36 M3 that was your car? I knew you from .Org way back. 

geekinajeep
geekinajeep New Reader
4/16/20 8:42 p.m.

Pretty self explanatory. Although I don't have a jeep anymore, geekinachevy doesn't have the same ring to it.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/16/20 8:44 p.m.

My parents picked mine for me. 

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/24/20 10:52 a.m.

I joined the GRMzoomchat today, and got asked if I'd explained my username in here.  And, no, I hadn't yet.

It's a bit of tale, and non-zero amount of it involves the forum; and should be broken into two parts.  Sleepyhead being what I used here for the first ~4 years.

I finally joined the forums 'for reals' back in May 2015.

See, I'd come back from Germany, and tried to help out a buddy achieve a goal of bringing their miata to OneLap (for my 3rd time there).  There's a lot of sturm-und-drang about that, which I've inundated Sonic and few others with, but it's not really fit for here.  The basics are, we got the miata to South Bend for tech/sticker day, but it was slightly 'bumblegum, duct tape, and half a prayer'.  As it happens, this super nice redheaded Lap Puppy in a black Cadi V-wagon was parked behind us.  I helped that team out, a bit with 'first time nerves' and 'how things go here'... general 'Welcome to the Circus' stuff... and joked-off hand that they probably had room to fit a wayward OneLapper, what with a wagon and only 2 team members.

Come the next day, and the first event... wet skidpad.  And the miata is sorting through another unexpected problem... I come back from checking the brakes... only to find that it's leaking concerning amounts of oil.  So, the owner pulls the plug, and I stuck out my thumb.  Which is how I came to spend 2/3rds of OneLap 2015 from the back seat of mazdeuce's Cadi.

Unbeknownst to me, my 'late night photo editing' and my general 'Need 20mintues to be awake in the morning' was bothering Seth and codriver... who were in a completely different sync.

Also, Seth sidewize let me know that the top of my head was now internet famous:
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/mazdeuce-does-one-lap/97935/page13/

Well, now I needed to sign up for the forum... to defend my baldness.  But what name to sign up with?  Then I read about how my sleeping antics were affecting the team dynamic.

Which leaned on this Anime I'd enjoyed called 'Last Exile' back in the before-sleepykids days.  And the antagonist is ribbed throughout for similar slumber issues, and is as such called 'sleepyhead'...

(side note:  that's a good series... steampunk anime.  you should watch, but probably not with 13 and under)

sleepyhead it was

--- ----

now, let's fastforward to May 2019, and I'm with Seth again on a OneLap...
https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/mazdeuce-seth-does-one-lap-2019/143176/page15/

you see, we'd stopped somewhere for gas and food with a lame not-actually a food court.  And we all ended up deciding to get stuff from the mexican place, the kind of place where you tell them your order... then either stand up and wait for your food, or go sit down at one of the tables.  I really don't like these setups... Tim sounds too much like a bunch of other names... Tim, Slim, Ben, Jim.... basically anything that's two syllables and ends with an 'n' or an 'm'.  Additionally, between race cars and screaming sleepykids, my hearings not what it used to be.... or maybe it's the genetics?  I'd ask my dad, but he's got the same problem.  cheeky   "huh, what?"

Lo and behold... "was that my order?"  "I dunno?"  wait a bit.  "I think that was it, they called it again, must be."  Get up, take the bag, look inside... that's not right.  Look at the tag, E36 M3 you not, guy behind me in line was named "Jim".  I work it out with the crew sling the tortillas, and go sit down and wait a bit more.  "I think I need to start using a different name for ordering food."  Mazdeuce and Pete sling out a couple of options, but they don't seem right.  Maybe it's being a Poland, and the lack of good wings.  Maybe it's ancient memories of Buffalo Tacos from working at Chili's.  Who knows.  Whatever reason, 'Buffalo' popped in my head.  It's multi-syllable, it's common, but not as a name... and doesn't sounds like any name I could think of right-off.

So, I used it the next night at the Arby's at our Pilot gas stop, and a couple other times.  Patrick threw down a gauntlet, and so I eventually relented... and added it to my screen name.

It's actually become handy around the house, now.  Sleepywife can throw it at me when I'm being stubborn about something.  "Stopping being a Buffalo", among other uses.  The more I interact with it, the more I've come to identify with it.  Which is all kind of crazy to me.  I've been on the internet for 20 years, and have been bashing around looking for an identity... when it all came to others relatively easily.

A bit like my life.  Over-long, meandering, and ending up in places I never would have thought it would have.  It's been good, and thank y'all for helping me along on this journey!

[/end book]

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 11:23 a.m.

I like track and field.

Oh who are we kidding? I'm a third generation AMC nutjob that used to have a cone orange bubble fender Javelin that I autocrossed amongst other things. It was in GRM twice I think and also made Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding twice. I got it as an abandoned non-runner and spent six years mechanically restoring it and driving it alot.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/20 11:32 a.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

Thanks for posting, that was great!

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
4/24/20 11:37 a.m.
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

I like track and field.

TRACK AND FIELD?

HOLD ON JUST A MINUTE!

Oh who are we kidding? I'm a third generation AMC nutjob that used to have a cone orange bubble fender Javelin that I autocrossed amongst other things.

Oh, ok. Never mind.

I was in GRM twice I think and also made Car Craft and Popular Hot Rodding twice. I got it as an abandoned non-runner and spent six years mechanically restoring it and driving it alot.

Glad to hear from you. Hope you and family (including local to me) are doing well.

Opti
Opti Dork
4/24/20 12:07 p.m.

Y'all will never believe were mine came from...its crazy

I really like LT1s and they are famous for their optical distributor, or Optispark, so Opti.

I use TAEnvy on some sights because I really wanted a Ws6 TA.

I also use Enthusiast, because I like cars.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/24/20 12:31 p.m.

Anime influenced . . . Particularly Gundam

Strike Freedom + Wing Zero = Strike_Zero

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/24/20 12:34 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero :

I need to go back and read the past 8 pages.  But, I'm glad to find out I'm not the only one!

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/24/20 1:38 p.m.

In reply to sleepyhead the buffalo :

It's fun because the anime influenced names either stick out or are pretty obscure.

Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/24/20 1:47 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

We are all hanging in there right now, thank you. 

Did the tornado affect you?

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/24/20 2:12 p.m.
Strike_Zero said:

Anime influenced . . . Particularly Gundam

Strike Freedom + Wing Zero = Strike_Zero

Nice. Gundam Wing was the first Gundam series I watched. SEED Destiny, hoo boy, that was something. Be careful who you admit liking that one too.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
4/24/20 2:44 p.m.

In reply to NickD :

Peeps dunk on Seed and Seed Destiny soooooo berking hard!

It's Gundam . . . I like em all . . . Even the stinkers like Victory, Age, and G-Reco.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/24/20 2:53 p.m.
Strike_Zero said:

In reply to NickD :

Peeps dunk on Seed and Seed Destiny soooooo berking hard!

It's Gundam . . . I like em all . . . Even the stinkers like Victory, Age, and G-Reco.

I liked SEED. SEED Destiny just seemed to be lacking direction, with them starting out with Shinn as the new protagonist and then just abandoning him halfway through after they failed to make him a likeable protagonist. And the Lunamaria love interest with him was weird and out of nowhere. Athrun's plot arc makes Destiny worth watching though.

I tried watching Reconquista In G, got 12 episodes in and somehow knew less about what was going on than I knew in episode 1, and then the YouTube account I was watching it on got region-locked before I could finish watching.

00, Iron-Blooded Orphans, Wing, Unicorn, all good stuff though.

twentyover
twentyover GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/24/20 3:40 p.m.

Because it's the typical first bore oversize

TasdevEngineer2of3
TasdevEngineer2of3 New Reader
4/24/20 4:36 p.m.

Mine is a recognition of my son getting his engineering  BS degree a few years back. He had a tough time with school in his younger years but learned to overcome, ignore the labels and believe in himself. He is 3 of 3 with two kids that could increase the number if they choose. My father was the first engineer in the family.

The Tasdev part is just a race team name I have used over the years.

NickD
NickD UltimaDork
4/24/20 9:24 p.m.

NickD because my real name is Nick Dixon and I couldn't think of anything clever.

My friends have a nickname for me but it seemed weird to use on a forum and might send the wrong message, because it is Dictator. Yeahhhh, I E36 M3 you not. No one remembers where or when or why that nickname came about and it really is awful.

My avatar is my Miata I've had 6 years. That photo was a few iterations ago.

1 ... 7 8 9 10

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ntLc2S0ZUdd3stSEsxgGKyUIr3Tr2WgZI4cfwdpEm88ofKWNlDJMf0zIlankihc5