Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/3/18 12:29 p.m.
feature_image

With over 60 extremely fast cars on the entry list for the 2018 Tire Rack Ultimate Track Car Challenge, there are many different approaches being taken to set that one fast lap around Virginia International Raceway. But one stands out as a baffling and intriguing recipe for speed. They call it the Exomotive Electrocet.

What is an Electrocet? Take …

Read the rest of the story

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/18 12:44 p.m.

This should be impressive. I wonder what they did for cooling...there is a Tesla S spec racer series, so it's possible to mod one to not overheat within a couple laps.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/3/18 12:47 p.m.

this makes me REALLY happy.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/18 1:18 p.m.

We saw this car at the Mitty----it's pretty phenomenal!    It will be interesting to see what sort of a lap they can lay down. 

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/3/18 1:36 p.m.

I think "Electro-cute" would be a better name.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/3/18 1:53 p.m.

As long as it's well driven and sorted this should be insanely fast. 

I actually don't think cooling will be an issue... Most cooling issues on large turbo Miata's have been 100% solved when going to an exocet. Air flow is king. 

I can't wait to crash mine so I have an excuse to Exocet it. 

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/18 1:58 p.m.
goingnowherefast said:

I actually don't think cooling will be an issue... Most cooling issues on large turbo Miata's have been 100% solved when going to an exocet. Air flow is king.

The problem with the Tesla S powertrain seems to be mainly in getting heat out of the components and into the cooling fluid. I've looked into it pretty closely and it seems that serious coolant rerouting within the components, and possibly jacketing on the outside, would be necessary.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/3/18 2:10 p.m.

Hmmm... I now live close enough to consider going to Hyperfest!

Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
5/3/18 3:19 p.m.

In reply to SVreX :

Do it!

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
5/3/18 3:20 p.m.

In reply to Ed Higginbotham :

I'm working on it!

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/3/18 3:56 p.m.

BTW---- this thing ran the Parade Laps at the Mitty.    It was very quick....... and totally silent!  

Knurled.
Knurled. GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/3/18 4:38 p.m.

This car is a thing that exists.

People are awesome.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/3/18 6:53 p.m.

good lord, this thing must be very very fast.  

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/4/18 6:46 a.m.

Video, or it didn't happen...

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/4/18 9:23 a.m.

I'd love to have been there drinking beers with the crew that came up with this. 

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/4/18 11:06 a.m.

We have a Tesla powered Lotus Evora up here in the great white north that has had some success in one of our time attack series.

Electric Car Dominates Time Attack - Lotus Evora Electric Car - EP06

They have a whole build series on it which is pretty cool.

Adam

TreDeuce
TreDeuce New Reader
5/4/18 11:32 p.m.

There is our gearhead?  Volthead -- Amphead future

te72
te72 Reader
5/5/18 1:28 a.m.

Turbo Tom was talking about doing just this in a video a few months back, looks like someone beat him to it.

I'd be curious how well it does. Hopefully things are well sorted and they get that one awesome lap in early, not sure how long the conditions would be optimal for an electric track car. We're getting there, eventually...

That said, nothing wrong with a quiet daily, but I want a bit of a symphony in an enthusiastically driven car... I'd miss the noise.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bfIl09bEhKhkP4Oukz4xj0dRGlKTKQ9jhlGf0TjKUu23AAMsGlCvhbAln6j4XB9S