1 2 3 ... 15
Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/19/19 6:02 p.m.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/19/19 6:03 p.m.

thoughts? 

I kinda love it and want to do ludicrous mode launches on dirt. 

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/19/19 6:04 p.m.

My hope is that it has king Motorsports coilovers from the factory like a nasty electric raptor. 

poopshovel again
poopshovel again MegaDork
8/19/19 6:35 p.m.

I’m...torn.

NermalSnert
NermalSnert Reader
8/19/19 6:38 p.m.

It's utterly heinous.

Tactical Penguin
Tactical Penguin SuperDork
8/19/19 6:53 p.m.

All I can see is the Warthog from Halo.

irish44j
irish44j MegaDork
8/19/19 6:54 p.m.

Something new for the suburban upper-white-collar-guys-who-never-actually-do-truck-things to replace their Raptors with. 

Looks like it has about as much utility as a Subaru Baja, but you have to lift everything twice as high to get it in the bed. 

Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/19 6:58 p.m.

That's pretty hideous.

The bro-dozer/Carolina squat crowd will love it. 

Cooter
Cooter UltraDork
8/19/19 7:17 p.m.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
8/19/19 7:44 p.m.

Is the picture from Tesla, or is it just some random rendering off the Internet?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/19/19 7:51 p.m.

I will be surprised if it is from Tesla. It would have been all over the news

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/19 9:21 p.m.

As long as it can do 0-60 faster than the Walt Disney world Aerosmith ride (2.8 seconds), I'll be a fan.

If there's anything more impressive than a human who runs a 4.4 second 40, it's the 310 pound human who runs a 4.4 second 40.

RevRico
RevRico GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/19/19 9:41 p.m.

I think the rivian looks much more useful as a truck

Ransom
Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/19/19 9:44 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Is the picture from Tesla, or is it just some random rendering off the Internet?

This.

That looks just barely more truck-like than a BMW X6 fastback-on-stilts.

Carbon
Carbon UltraDork
8/19/19 10:13 p.m.

It popped up in my news feed on fb. Seemed official. 

cdeforrest
cdeforrest Reader
8/19/19 11:03 p.m.

If they thought keeping up with Model 3 demand was a problem, just wait. No matter what it looks like, if it's got a bed and 4 doors, ppl will be lining up.  For a 2023 delivery. Or later. 
Don't forget, they still have to deliver on the model Y crossover. 

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/20/19 4:07 a.m.

Those are just a guy's idea of what it could be. Definitely not official.

" Istanbul-based designer Emre Husmen has conceived his own concept of this upcoming vehicle."

I think we're still a ways off from seeing the actual Tesla truck. As of Nov 2018, the Tesla Truck was a lower priority than the Model Y (slated to go into production in 2020), and their solar roof product according to Musk:

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
8/20/19 6:33 a.m.

I've seen about 5 different artists' renders of this thing so far.  I'll be interested in seeing the final version.  I think electric will be very good for a truck, with all that torque available at basically 0RPM.  Apparently Musk has said he wants a 300,000 pound towing capacity (!).  If the suspension is done right, I'll bet it would kill off road.  Hell, if nothing else it would be nice to have something to haul crap around while getting better than 15mpg.  

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/19 6:39 a.m.

Not just for Tesla but EV Pickups in total, I'd be very interested to see what battery life looks like while doing true truck things like towing and hauling stuff. I guess if it helps to weed out the truck population that hauls air most of it's life then its probably a good thing. 

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
8/20/19 6:47 a.m.

I think Elon has said the expected range is to be around 500 miles, but of course towing would alter that number a good bit.  But he's planning on an electric semi, so I'm guessing he has something figured out.  That would need a range of at least a thousand miles to be feasible.

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/20/19 6:57 a.m.
infinitenexus said: Apparently Musk has said he wants a 300,000 pound towing capacity (!). Hell, if nothing else it would be nice to have something to haul crap around while getting better than 15mpg.  

The electric F150 has a MUCH higher chance of seeing daylight before the Tesla truck does. It looks like every other F150. It will have an actual dealer support network. It already has massive brand identity with established "truck" cred.

Here it is towing (Dr. Evil voice) 1 Million lbs:

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
8/20/19 7:05 a.m.

I love EVs and hope to buy one soon, but not a Tesla. Nope nope nope.

infinitenexus
infinitenexus Reader
8/20/19 7:11 a.m.

That's pretty impressive.  I wonder if it being on a rail makes it a lot easier to tow?  1,000,000 pounds on something with inflated rubber tires might have interesting results.  

The electric F150 should be (hopefully) a successful product.  As you said, it's already an established vehicle.  I imagine the buyers of the Tesla and Ford will be fairly different groups of people, although it would give me a warm fuzzy if the Tesla turned out to be an incredible work truck.  

STM317
STM317 UltraDork
8/20/19 7:21 a.m.

Back to the original topic, this appears to be the only official image of the Tesla truck that's been released thus far:

It's not much to go on, (because we live in a world where corporations send out cryptic teasers via tweets for the sole purpose of building/maintaining hype) but it's obviously different than any of the full renders that are circulating.

Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/20/19 7:31 a.m.

They're going to have to make another batch of Not-a-flamethrowers to go with their Not-a-truck preorders.

1 2 3 ... 15

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mdYHyRCOo7go27o7k9reXC7Zo4NAftcNSHNO4Xw8NhgWNoHOkUTUUWE4vGFTOY4v