Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
11/16/22 8:01 a.m.

What happens to tires after our tests? We keep running them–and we keep learning.

Our latest findings: Some tires get better the more you run them. Specifically, longterm testing of the Falken Azenis RT660 and the Bridgestone Potenza RE-71RS showed that tread depth, heat cycling and rotation can impact performance over the tire’s lifetime.

[200-treadwear tire test | Bridgestone Potenza …

This content is available for GRM+ members and Grassroots Motorsports magazine subscribers only.

You can read it for free in 98 days or subscribe to GRM+ to read right now.

Subscribe now

Already a member?

Login to read

Read the rest of the story

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/16/22 10:11 a.m.

Awesome test and great info!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/22 10:37 a.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

Glad you liked it. We really like being able to offer tests like these–and if there is anything you'd like to see, let us know.

Bigben151
Bigben151 New Reader
11/16/22 11:40 a.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I want a 245-40-15 re-71rs...lol

Great article once again

Bluebayou22
Bluebayou22 New Reader
11/16/22 1:36 p.m.

Thank you for the great information in an easy to read format!!  Buying the correct set of tires saves alot of money and of course the grip and fun.

EricM
EricM SuperDork
11/16/22 2:56 p.m.

I AM SURPRISED!

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
11/16/22 3:08 p.m.

In reply to EricM :

ASTONISHED, STUNNED AND FLABBERGASTED?

Alright, I'll put the thesaurus down.

JTT
JTT New Reader
11/16/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Colin Wood :

I'd be interested in difference to pre-shaved and heat cycled tires of the same make, model and sizes

QuikMcshifterson
QuikMcshifterson New Reader
11/17/22 12:51 p.m.

Absolutely excellent testing and article. I've just picked up the Paul Haney book on tires so great timing too!

More tire testing / articles please!

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/18/22 11:22 a.m.
QuikMcshifterson said:

Absolutely excellent testing and article. I've just picked up the Paul Haney book on tires so great timing too!

More tire testing / articles please!

Just for you, more tire tests coming in hot. :) 

MSM_Racer
MSM_Racer GRM+ Member
5/14/23 2:36 p.m.

In reply to Bigben151 :

PLEASE give us better width options in a 15" wheel size!!  

I've reached out to Bridgestone multiple times to ask if/when they're coming out with a 225/45 or 245/40 and haven't received any responses.  They're leaving a lot of sales on the table by not having these sizes.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/14/23 3:42 p.m.

In reply to MSM_Racer :

The re71-rs in 205/50-15 seems to follow the trend set by the Falken rt660, of being a pretty wide tire for it's labeled size. I switched from the BF Goodrich Rival 1.5 in 225/45-15 to the new Bridgestones in the 205/50 on my E  Street Miata, gained a lot of grip.

In my case at least, the numbers on the timer matter more than the ones on the sidewall.

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/15/23 4:04 p.m.

I've run them on an Audi A6 Quattro, a Cayman S and a Miata NB and am a BIG fan of the RT660, especially once I had Tire Rack heat cycle them. The Hankook RS4 is right tere, too. They are both fast and durable, a great combination :-) I have run numerous Toyo, Nitto, BFG, Continental and Michelin models and don;t thinkthe RT660 can be beaten.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/15/23 6:23 p.m.
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to MSM_Racer :

The re71-rs in 205/50-15 seems to follow the trend set by the Falken rt660, of being a pretty wide tire for it's labeled size. I switched from the BF Goodrich Rival 1.5 in 225/45-15 to the new Bridgestones in the 205/50 on my E  Street Miata, gained a lot of grip.

In my case at least, the numbers on the timer matter more than the ones on the sidewall.

Compound trumps size, pretty much always.  Especially when using a pinched fitment like an ES Miata (205/225 on 15x6).

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/15/23 6:24 p.m.
DaleCarter said:

I've run them on an Audi A6 Quattro, a Cayman S and a Miata NB and am a BIG fan of the RT660, especially once I had Tire Rack heat cycle them. The Hankook RS4 is right tere, too. They are both fast and durable, a great combination :-) I have run numerous Toyo, Nitto, BFG, Continental and Michelin models and don;t thinkthe RT660 can be beaten.

We have test data showing that the A052, RE71RS and the revised CRS are all quicker than the RT660.

Could it be that the test vehicle is lighter in weight than other peoples applications.   Just saying.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/15/23 8:24 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:
DaleCarter said:

We have test data showing that the A052, RE71RS and the revised CRS are all quicker than the RT660.

It won't be in my budget this year, but I'm looking forward to trying the new CRS, since I won't have to spray them between autocross runs. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
5/16/23 6:52 a.m.
Purple Frog (Forum Supporter) said:

Could it be that the test vehicle is lighter in weight than other peoples applications.   Just saying.

All testing is basically a single data point, for sure.  Meant as a guide to personalized testing in specific applications.

Do you have scientific back-to-back testing data to share on a heavier vehicle?

paulhaney
paulhaney New Reader
1/29/24 1:33 p.m.

If slicks are best then it's obvious that wearing away the tread would give better lap times. I saw something similar in Spec Renault San Fran Region 30 years ago. Forget what tire they were using but the guys said they got best lap times just as the cords appeared. I guessed maybe the adhesive under the tread helped.

Great article. Nothing like lots of data taken under controlled conditions to shine light on a topic.

Paul Haney

theruleslawyer
theruleslawyer New Reader
1/30/24 10:01 a.m.

I wish we had more of this long term data on different models. Heat cycle drop off and long term wear is a huge concern when picking a tire. I'd like to see these run all the way to the cords to track where and how they start to drop off.

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
1/30/24 4:19 p.m.
theruleslawyer said:

I wish we had more of this long term data on different models. Heat cycle drop off and long term wear is a huge concern when picking a tire. I'd like to see these run all the way to the cords to track where and how they start to drop off.

Fastest laps I ever ran on that car on that track were RE71RS and CRS V2 at a little over 1/32nd.  Edgy, but fast.  Both soon got so twitchy they were trying to kill me, so I dismounted them before cords showed up. 

Fastest laps I ever turned on street tires with the CRX on that track were A052's at about 1/32nd.

All that said, my tires are stored in a climate controlled shop and never see the sun except on track.  Most people don't/can't do that. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MdgVcOKYMrCO5EMQbRjWEBpIh0zuNv41Lm71OXXu2JXfElbf1HSPkiCNHkZZ0epS