1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9
dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
9/26/18 9:57 p.m.

I think this is the first "talk me down" thread where the participants actually tried to talk to poster down.

Pete Gossett
Pete Gossett GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/27/18 5:28 a.m.
dculberson said:

I think this is the first "talk me down" thread where the participants actually tried to talk to poster down.

Really makes you think it might actually be a bad idea, eh?

STM317
STM317 SuperDork
9/28/18 3:01 p.m.

"It's just the Quadrifoglios that are troublesome", they said... 

"The lower trims are fine", they said...

Duke
Duke MegaDork
9/28/18 3:50 p.m.

And here's what else they're saying.

Dave Estey appears to be currently sashaying around the back roads of southern Europe in a Giulia as we speak.  Assuming he makes it home, we'll have to get his impressions.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/28/18 3:55 p.m.

Supposedly, the Ferrari engineers were involved in the design of the car.  Makes me wonder if the issues are similar to what Ferrari owners would see, but it's just amplified by the number of cars and the daily driving/more regular use of a Giulia?   With all the issues, however, I would still like to have one.  I'd just need to plan on having an appliance car in the garage when the Giulia is at the dealer.

-Rob

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/18 7:17 p.m.

There's certainly some Ferrari-ness in the Quadrofoglio. Apparently changing the serpentine belt is an 8h operation that involves disassembling large parts of the front of the car. Hey, at least they don't have to drop the thing out completely.

Other than that, quick update - you guys haven't talked me out of one yet, but I'm cross-shopping them with 2019 Challengers.

Thanks to the insane residuals (low, not high), a lease on a QF is out of the picture. Which means the current shopping is going on between TI Sports and, well, something else like a Challenger. I've also checked out a used Cayman as I know my wife likes them, but they're a little too impractical. The local Ford dealer has a Mustang GT with the performance pack - I'm not super keen on price and colour (black), but I'll probably check that one out, too.

As a completely left-field option, a used Tesla Model S might have entered the picture, but I've been watching a little too much "Rich Rebuilds" on Youtube and I'm certainly anything but a fully signed-up member of the Cult of Elon. The main issue is that the ones that are getting close to the budget are close to getting out of warranty and I have concerns about parts availability and the fact that you have to either throw used parts on it or take it to Tesla, and Tesla only, to fix the darn thing.

Oh, and my wife has discovered the existence of $25k Maserati Quattroportes.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/18 7:25 p.m.

Pre-owned Panamera 4.wink

BoxheadTim
10/7/18 7:45 p.m.

In reply to Woody :

You keep suggesting that .

Friend of mine had one as a loaner when his Boxster was in the shop. It was quite a nice place to be in, but I just can't get over the way they look.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/18 8:02 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim :

Panameras are like Bob Costas: Looks bad, feels good.

caseyjones
caseyjones New Reader
11/12/18 10:35 p.m.

I drove a Giulia Ti on Saturday.  Huge markdowns on 2018s put a new one within spitting distance of budget.  Now I read this thread and I'm back to hoping our G35 lasts until the new V60 hits the used market.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/12/18 11:12 p.m.

I was *very* uderwhelemed with the way the quattroporte went down the road. Disa...pointed. 

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/13/18 11:22 a.m.

But bet it sounded amazing! i put my windows down when one is close just to hear that v8!

BoxheadTim
6/11/19 8:22 p.m.

And here it is, in all it's glory:

TI Sport AWD. So far, a nice place to be. I've only driven it about 500 miles and rather like it.

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/11/19 8:37 p.m.

Very nice!! Congrats!

I really like the outside color, is the inside red?? Post some interior pics. 

BoxheadTim
6/11/19 8:39 p.m.

Yep, red/black interior. Haven't got any additional pics yet, but more will follow in good time.

nderwater
nderwater UltimaDork
6/11/19 9:26 p.m.

Looks great!  Very, very curious to hear about your ownership experience over time.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
6/13/19 5:15 p.m.

This isn’t helping me resist the siren call. Very nice!

Cotton
Cotton PowerDork
6/13/19 5:44 p.m.

Well,  it’s obvious at this point BoxheadTim CANNOT be talked down.  laugh

Nice looking car!  I’m curious about your ownership experience as well.  I always check them out when I see one in the flesh.

BoxheadTim
6/20/19 7:53 p.m.
Cotton said:

Well,  it’s obvious at this point BoxheadTim CANNOT be talked down.  laugh

Married long enough to have selective hearing down to an artform.

I keed.

Nice looking car!  I’m curious about your ownership experience as well.  I always check them out when I see one in the flesh.

I'll use this thread for (hopefully) occasional updates then. I have put about 600 miles on the car so far. It does seem to sip fuel on longer distances (got about 32-33mpg). The engine sounds rather meh, though - it's pretty quiet and like a lot of recent high compression turbo engines it's not musical at all. It does tend to wake up quite a bit when you put the drive selector into dynamic mode.

Wife and I both really like the sports seats (which were a non-negotiable requirement for me).

Oh, and as someone mentioned the huge markdowns on the '18s - this is a 19 as the 18s apparently aren't eligible for a lease anymore, and it was still marked down something like 9k. That's for a pretty loaded car with a sticker price of around 51k.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
6/20/19 11:32 p.m.

I saw a guy waiting in the drive through at McDonalds today in a Giulia... I was tempted to go over and ask how he liked it, but he had his windows rolled up and looked like he wasn't interested in conversation.  Good looking car, though.

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise HalfDork
6/21/19 12:15 a.m.

Congrats

how many miles on the lease ?

BoxheadTim
6/21/19 6:05 a.m.

In reply to mr2s2000elise :

15k annually. The price difference between the 12k and 15k lease was surprisingly small and 12k would have been a bit tight. Looking at the numbers it's a manufacturer subsidised lease anyway. Funny thing is that if I do decide at the end of the lease to keep it, I should be in a position to pay cash for the residual and then the whole thing would've worked out cheaper than financing it in the first place.

BoxheadTim
7/28/19 8:56 a.m.

Guess it's time for a brief update as I've just made past the 1k mile mark - 1k mile since I got the car as it had a bit over 200 miles on the clock when I got it. Didn't end up having to do a lot of customer travel, which kept the mileage down but that always varies with my job.

It also spent a couple of weeks in the shop at the beginning of the month.

Nope, not what you're thinking - the local wrap & tint guys were booked out for quite a few weeks but were happy to take it in for paint protection film and a light tint as an in-betweener job while I was picking up the S2k in Florida and all that. The paint on the car seems to chip fairly easy so I definitely wanted ppf on it before it got too bad. Yes, it's a lease but so far the plan is that if it behaves over time and there is no other really, really tempting alternative I'll probably buy it at the end of the lease.

Other than that, not much to report. The engine and drivetrain are broken in nicely now and even in economy ("a") mode it's quick enough. Stick it in "d" mode and it very much reminds me of my stock Evo X - it's not quite there, but the not quite there is more than made up by the nicer interior and overall better perceived quality of the car. It's also a tad more practical with it's bigger trunk. And around 30mpg on average are nothing to sneeze at either.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
7/28/19 11:09 a.m.

Mazda is making the new 3 with AWD, are they not? Maybe that ticks some boxes?

edit- oops, should have read all the way through... nice looking car :)

BoxheadTim
8/19/19 8:04 p.m.

In reply to mistanfo :

Thanks. I probably should split out an ownership thread. Let's see how things go.

1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... 9

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9To8dAUX3v1IV2sPCjWRmWoj0R9UToKiaAHtUj2I9tUMLrh1L1WjuVlCbkOwDVrR