bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
4/4/14 6:50 p.m.

Headed to pick up the kid at day care in the MazdaSPEED6, doing about 40mph, traffic on left is backed up and at a stand still, 2 lane road.....

Blue Accord pulls into my lane from my left turning into my lane, 1.5 MAYBE 2 CL from me, its been raining, traction is iffy at best, stopping is going to be a poor choice, it would be a small impact, I'm sure I would slow down to under 10mph but I'd rather avoid it all together.

I have 4-5ft of gravel on the right of the road but a culvert after that, I can fit...

Neutral throttle hard right off the pavement, decrease steering input as I enter gravel, she isn't stopping she has no idea I'm even here.... push a little more onto gravel, little skid but I expected it and left room, let the car shed some speed and stabilize.... neutral wheel.... be patient....

Im clear now...... little left wheel, ease back onto the pavement,

All that in about 1.5 seconds, felt like 30 seconds, never panicked, never felt out of control, car never did anything I didnt want it to or expect it too....

I didn't even realized truly how close I was until I was 4 CL past the lady, who was still pulling out and never did stop....

Thank you Mid-Ohio School!

plance1
plance1 Dork
4/4/14 9:44 p.m.

mid ohio has only front wheel drive cars, no?

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
4/4/14 10:54 p.m.

Or your own car

I want to do that school, and soon

EastCoastMojo
EastCoastMojo GRM+ Memberand Mod Squad
4/4/14 11:57 p.m.

Whew. Glad you are unscathed. My wreck two years ago was someone turning across traffic in between cars and not yielding the right of way. There was no gravel shoulder for me to use though.

bigbens6
bigbens6 Reader
4/5/14 9:35 a.m.

your own car or mid ohio acuras which are FWD, but the experience overall has helped me avoid 2 hairy situations, and I had 1 wreck prior to mid ohio that in retrospect could have been avoided easily, I handled it poorly because I just didnt have the experience.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XoywOsMqD7Rf6JUtRWP8dMHbrBj2JRrTgJFTmdNzOsB2LfeHsZIlMeBjjGufjv3B