1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/14/15 2:20 p.m.

I blew a fuse for my power outlets a few days ago. So I thought I would gasp open the owners manual to see which one is blown. No diagram. Hmpf. At least I did find where they are located. Pull that panel, Nope no identification there either. What are you afraid of VW? That I actually bypass the dealership and fix it myself? What gives. Every other vehicle I have owned have either a diagram under the panel or they are listed in the owners manual....

Rant off.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
3/14/15 2:54 p.m.

That is weird. Should be able to find it online/shop manual though I would think. Still they could have made it simpler for you.

tomtomgt356
tomtomgt356 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
3/14/15 3:25 p.m.

You gotta remember, the average car owner isn't competent enough to check their own oil (coughbmwcough) much less actually read a diagram, pull the fuse, and replace it with the same size fuse. That is just way too complicated.

Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
3/14/15 3:39 p.m.

They needed the room for all the onboard navigation etc....

Mel22
Mel22 New Reader
3/14/15 3:41 p.m.

Suggestion: Go in to the service dept and ask for a printout of the diagram.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/14/15 3:55 p.m.

Given how often VW service info is wrong, I wouldn't doubt it if the fuse layout isn't in the owner's manual because the lead time for having the books printed is longer than it takes for them to change the layout of the fusebox.

I don't know how VW makes any money. They sure don't seem to do a very good job of "mass production". Everything is dependent on production date and option packages and which plant manufactured it.

bentwrench
bentwrench HalfDork
3/14/15 5:41 p.m.

Which fuse is it?

The blown one of course....

wclark
wclark Reader
3/14/15 6:05 p.m.

I have a friend with a newish Passat and he said the dealer told him there are so many different ways the "fuse panel" can come configured from the factory that they couldnt put them in an owners manual. Something about the dealer having VIN specific fuse panel diagrams available... I guess they couldnt print a page and put it in the glove box.

Sounds like a huge step backwards to me. Whats next? Each car built with unique hand made parts? Oh wait. Some cars already are there - VIN specific modules for instance.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/14/15 8:04 p.m.

In reply to wclark:

I call shenanigans.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/14/15 8:13 p.m.

That's bizarre. Did you try TDiClub? Somebody there might know.

Alternative is to start pulling fuses until you find the burnt one.

daeman
daeman Reader
3/14/15 8:57 p.m.

Get a test light and probe your fuses. Find the one that only lights up at one end and replace. It'll probably take less time than it took to write about it on here

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
3/14/15 9:06 p.m.

http://www.akitarescueoftulsa.com/vw-jetta-tdi-fuse-box-diagram/

You're welcome.

Knurled
3/14/15 9:16 p.m.
daeman wrote: Get a test light and probe your fuses. Find the one that only lights up at one end and replace. It'll probably take less time than it took to write about it on here

This. It's way faster to just go bink-bink-bink on the end of every fuse. That is why fuses have access to the terminal on the outside.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
3/14/15 9:20 p.m.

See, THIS is why I will always and forever be a japanese only car guy. People piss and moan about how slow they are, but I have NEVER been stranded by my Honda, Datsun/Nissan, Toyota,etc. I have however, always been stranded by my buddy's fords, my bosses chevys, and my wife's vr6 (curse that thing!)

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/14/15 9:42 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to wclark: I call shenanigans.

Duck a bunch of Volkswagen's, my wife bought one, I took it in for an oil change and the service advisor said I could not buy a quart of the oil he had just put in the car. I came very close to assault charges. Never again.

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
3/14/15 10:31 p.m.

In reply to TRoglodyte:

What? Before VAG rated oil was easily available I bought oil at the dealer for something like the first 4 years I owned my car.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/14/15 10:36 p.m.

In reply to Ian F:

Service advisor was playing me for an idiot.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/14/15 10:46 p.m.

sounds almost as bad as when I put a front license plate on my malibu... that body style was the same for several years but the dealer would not help me without the VIN

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
3/14/15 10:54 p.m.

Nidiots.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 7:55 a.m.
iadr wrote:
mad_machine wrote: sounds almost as bad as when I put a front license plate on my malibu... that body style was the same for several years but the dealer would not help me without the VIN
Someone who has phoned a dealership for *anything* in the past 10 years without a VIN #, is the mentally deficient one, IMO. Come and try to do our job for even an hour and you'll be gone with your tail 'tween your legs.

While I agree, it's plain wrong. Case in point, I wanted a rear reflector for the Jetta... Parts guy says I need a VIN, I call shenanigans. Just because the computer lists "17" part numbers for every model out there doesn't mean there are 17 unique parts available. You MAY have to use your brain as the parts guy. Only when the catalog clearly stated a different part number or I already knew needed a VIN like emblems and specific interior colored parts, do I really need a VIN at least with StarParts.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 7:57 a.m.
TRoglodyte wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to wclark: I call shenanigans.
Duck a bunch of Volkswagen's, my wife bought one, I took it in for an oil change and the service advisor said I could not buy a quart of the oil he had just put in the car. I came very close to assault charges. Never again.

Maybe from the bulk oil tank... But even then, if I had to sell to service, I had it to sell to the OTC parts sale.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 7:59 a.m.
jstein77 wrote: http://www.akitarescueoftulsa.com/vw-jetta-tdi-fuse-box-diagram/ You're welcome.

Thanks, but not the same.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
3/15/15 8:21 a.m.

What's so hard about this?

bludroptop
bludroptop UltraDork
3/15/15 10:17 a.m.

VW wouldn't sell me wiper blades without a VIN. I swear...

Knurled
3/15/15 10:34 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: sounds almost as bad as when I put a front license plate on my malibu... that body style was the same for several years but the dealer would not help me without the VIN

Most people don't even know what year their car is. So someone order one for an '05 Malibu but it turns out it is an '02. Or an '05 Malibu Classic. Or it's an Impala. Either way, the dealership is either stuck with stock they might not sell or they have to pay to send it back.

An easy way to solve this problem is to just get the VIN and order by the VIN. That way IF the part is wrong, the problem is higher up the chain and not because the parts guy assumed that the person ordering the part knew what kind of car they had.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uHiSx1Ojfmdd8PukLjyy1EI292HLGr1PhusV4ROtnFer4XCHicd7S6g6VNUpNZIp