Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/25/15 5:55 a.m.

Drag DR-27 wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. I just didn't see anything on Tirerack that I liked, at least not $100-150. Thought about craigslist but didn't want to buy someone else's bent/curbed problems. A quick glance on Discount Tire's website & for $100 I fell in love with the exposed allen screws.

The installer kid came out to compliment me on the car, and when it was done I went out to show them how to fit 4 wheels inside for the trip home. 4-5 guys, pretty much the whole shop, were walking around it drooling. At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/25/15 6:51 a.m.
At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

My jaw dropped too! Awesome score and the wheels really sweeten it.

Storz
Storz Dork
3/25/15 7:04 a.m.
Jerry wrote: Drag DR-27 wheels and BF Goodrich G-Force Sport COMP-2 tires. I just didn't see anything on Tirerack that I liked, at least not $100-150. Thought about craigslist but didn't want to buy someone else's bent/curbed problems. A quick glance on Discount Tire's website & for $100 I fell in love with the exposed allen screws. The installer kid came out to compliment me on the car, and when it was done I went out to show them how to fit 4 wheels inside for the trip home. 4-5 guys, pretty much the whole shop, were walking around it drooling. At least two jaws hit the floor when I told them I only paid $1500 for it...

Whoa!! What state/area are you in, I think that might be my old MR2...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/25/15 7:10 a.m.

If you had just posted pix of the rims I probably would not have picked them but dam do those look good on that car. Great choice!!!!

paddylopez
paddylopez New Reader
3/25/15 7:11 a.m.

Those look fantastic! I went with the faux rivet look on my Subaru as well, just adds a touch of class to my heavy, Chinese-built one-piece CL specials.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/25/15 8:05 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Ohio. I bought it off a friend that bought it with the intent to work on it with his dad. His dad passed away last year & friend decided no vested interest, too many other projects, and offered me that swee deal I couldn't refuse. Trying to remember where he bought it, WI? MI? Had some 3-spoke wheels when he bought it. Actually here's a photo he had posted:

Storz
Storz Dork
3/25/15 8:49 a.m.

That has got to be it! I am from SE Michigan originally. I bought the car in like 2002 with a blown motor, did a full down to the bare block rebuild as part of a class at Central Michigan University in 2003, I eventually sold it back to the guy I bought it from (Mike Burns) in the fall of 2004. Mike is the one who actually did the paint job on it. This is what it looked like when I had it. I spent 100s and 100s of hours on that car.

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
3/25/15 9:02 a.m.

Damn, while about the last wheel I would have picked for that car, they sure do work.

trucke
trucke HalfDork
3/25/15 9:04 a.m.

If you guys PM the VIN, you would know for certain it was the same car.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/25/15 9:06 a.m.

Storz and Jerry have to team up for $2015 challenge now, it has been written

Storz
Storz Dork
3/25/15 9:18 a.m.
trucke wrote: If you guys PM the VIN, you would know for certain it was the same car.

I don't think I have anything anymore that would have that information on it sadly. With that paint job though (non factory, two tone) and the geographic area I have to beleive thats it.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
3/25/15 9:23 a.m.

Now kiss...

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/25/15 9:30 a.m.

I like those wheels on the car. That thing looks sweet and sounds like you got it for a too good to pass up deal.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/25/15 10:43 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Pretty sure it's a factory two-tone color though. In any case, it could be...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/25/15 11:01 a.m.

I never thought I'd say this but those 3 spokes don't look that bad.

Jerry
Jerry SuperDork
3/25/15 12:30 p.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

They were a possible second choice from what was on it when I bought it, but I really wanted something good. And this was my "splurge" from tax return this year. (Drove it today, the ride is night/day difference from the old crappy all-season almost-bald things it had)

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
3/25/15 12:36 p.m.

This thread delivers on multiple levels.

I agree with the sentiment, the wheels look not so good when examined by themselves, but when you wrap them with an MR2, it just plain works.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RFYABA995h9liiVpANQam4PzxTPyAjLFXvkfihAvQMEPXhQsAQJZq6pu5kczzViT