1 2
Circuit_Motorsports
Circuit_Motorsports New Reader
10/3/16 4:53 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Stampie wrote:
Circuit_Motorsports wrote: 5. Drag racing into the evening is cool. Although it seemed like we ran out of time this year, did we go later last year or am I imagining things?
There literally wasn't enough demand. We had planned our two drivers for early and late runs but our late driver only got a couple of runs in before being turned away because of not enough cars in the staging lanes. I was not complaining to much as he was within 3 hundreds of a second of my time and we had a $5 bet on it.
We actually shut down earlier last year. The takeaway message for both dynamic events should be to get in line when things open up. Waiting too long could mean you have to wait for the track to clean up someone else's mess.

Noted.

I think we started running fairly early, we were dealing with some issues in the pits though.

One note - I believe you were announcing - over the loudspeaker it was announced if anyone wanted to make more runs they should say something. I went and told a couple people we were looking to make a few more runs and the response was - you have 15 minutes.

Not a huge deal, but just a heads up.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/3/16 5:09 p.m.

It is pretty much impossible to be in the staging lanes waiting for another run while in the pit wrenching away looking for another 1/10th...

I was working hard to get back for more passes while hearing announcements about no one wanting any more. I thought i had 7 more minutes, so maybe an actual end time would help? A bit of a catch 22, from both sides...

Fwiw I am not mad, more disappointed.

ETA: thanks for another great event!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/3/16 7:08 p.m.
tb wrote: It is pretty much impossible to be in the staging lanes waiting for another run while in the pit wrenching away looking for another 1/10th... I was working hard to get back for more passes while hearing announcements about no one wanting any more. I thought i had 7 more minutes, so maybe an actual end time would help? A bit of a catch 22, from both sides... Fwiw I am not mad, more disappointed. ETA: thanks for another great event!

Really sorry about that you guys. Word never got up to us at mission control that we had folks looking to hit the track again.

Tom, Ed and David were texting me with updates throughout the drags. Maybe next year I just give my number to everyone and you can just message up to the booth directly to let u know. Then send months of late night, drunk texts after that.

tb
tb GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/3/16 7:12 p.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak:

Can I still do the late night drunk thing even if I finish my drag runs early?

Seriously, not a big issue in The grand scheme of an excellent weekend. I am not a fan of the night drags / schedule in general and shouldn't ever misplace my criticisms but am only human...

Also, one man teams will always be athere a disadvantage when it comes to some things and it is hard to accommodate such a disparate group but I know you all try.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
10/3/16 7:25 p.m.

I have a suggestion to help one man teams...

Though it was just me and my son, we worked 3 shifts on the autocross course, just to help out. I wasn't driving a competitive car, so I didn't mind.

But I am usually a 1 man team who is trying to get the car ready, and trying to manage a lot of kids at same time. Course work would have killed me.

So, maybe a pro-rated system based on the size of the team? A large team of 10 people could easily do 4 or 5 shifts to help out the 1 man teams. Or how about a credit system (I worked 3 shifts this year, so I can skip 1 next year).

Or better yet, slave auctions! Big teams can auction off 1 person to work for someone else, and earn an automatic +1 point in the Concours.

There are several ways it could be done....

wheels777
wheels777 SuperDork
10/4/16 5:52 a.m.
hobiercr wrote: Note to self: Next year bring (and apply) sunscreen. I'm going to be a peeling SOB in a few days. While I really wanted to have a car this year it was very nice to have more time to meet new people and spend more time with everyone. I was (and still am) seriously humbled by the "Phil Kime Spirit of the Event" Award. If it were up to me EVERYONE at the Challenge would take home that award. You guys seriously are the best of the best. Thank you for all the love and supportive words.

I am (and I feel confident that I share this sentiment with the entire group of competitors and the staff) humbled by you. You are a light for all. Thank you for being a part of this event.

Andrew

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/16 7:01 a.m.
Rick Goolsby wrote: In reply to SVreX: Thanks! I personally enjoy this event more and more each year. It is truly a homecoming of sorts.

You looked so much happier and relaxed than last year. I didn't realize you knew how to smile

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/4/16 7:05 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
tb wrote: It is pretty much impossible to be in the staging lanes waiting for another run while in the pit wrenching away looking for another 1/10th... I was working hard to get back for more passes while hearing announcements about no one wanting any more. I thought i had 7 more minutes, so maybe an actual end time would help? A bit of a catch 22, from both sides... Fwiw I am not mad, more disappointed. ETA: thanks for another great event!
Really sorry about that you guys. Word never got up to us at mission control that we had folks looking to hit the track again. Tom, Ed and David were texting me with updates throughout the drags. Maybe next year I just give my number to everyone and you can just message up to the booth directly to let u know. Then send months of late night, drunk texts after that.

I didn't realize having your number was carte blanche for late night drunk texts. You're lucky I don't drink, I usually just send late night garage texts to people

srduck
srduck New Reader
10/4/16 1:09 p.m.
hobiercr wrote: Note to self: Next year bring (and apply) sunscreen. I'm going to be a peeling SOB in a few days.

Remember... if you're ever in need, find a pasty white ginger... we always have sunscreen with us! ;) There were two of us there that I know of... myself and Alan McCrispin's daughter... and I feel fairly certain she had some nearby as well.

echoechoecho
echoechoecho Reader
10/4/16 1:18 p.m.

Thank you guys/gals for another great Challenge, this was our 3rd year and it still surprises me what crazy things show up. Also I am honored that we received challengers choice, that means a lot to me and my brother. Im learning to weld so next year you will see something "crazy" from us. thanks again and see you next year!!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WavTkgt2zfjwBkZp4ruCLqoA0Up8AUXnW0Wj1VK1HOzf3fZPNoqWLbScM3tQnFTx