frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/24/22 6:58 p.m.

We received 29 RSVP's for Thanksgiving. ( plus one baby )   And bought at least enough for 40. 
 Two giant birds and 40 pounds of potatoes. Etc. 
     Then Her son came down with Covid.  So 5 short.  I came home from work on Friday with the worst cold imaginable. ( checked not Covid) gave it to her and Wednesday Thanksgiving was canceled.  
     Now both freezers are packed full.  The refrigerator is stuffed  and some is outside on the portico deck in coolers.  Some food is cooked and some isn't. The pantry is barely room to walk in. 
 Wine and champagne are still in the bottle 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/24/22 7:40 p.m.

I'm sorry you missed out. There's another holiday around the corner, you can perhaps schedule everything for that.

I'm sure the food pantries could use a donation before any of it goes to waste. There's a lot of people struggling right now.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
11/24/22 7:51 p.m.

Definitely donate. It's always appreciated.

Stampie
Stampie GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/24/22 7:56 p.m.

My worse Thanksgiving was 9? years ago?  I love chicken livers and couple of  nights before Thanksgiving I made some.  My problem is I like them lets say soft.  You probably see where this is going.  Yep I gave myself Salmonella.  Spent the whole holiday weekend going from the couch to the bathroom.  Finally recovered enough by Saturday that I thought I could risk driving the 3 hours home from Grandma Stampie's.  Took months before my body would tolerate red meat.  Haven't had chicken livers since.

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/22 8:04 p.m.

Frenchy, donate the birds and drink the booze. You'll feel better in no time. 

Stampie-you ever try a sous vide? We did it this year and our turkey was medium rare, but completely safe to eat. 

===========

Odd group at the table this year, but no politics, yelling, or embarassing stories. Calling it a win.

Stampie
11/24/22 8:10 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Yeah afterwards I discovered sous vide.  If I ever try them again I'll cook them with that then bread them and fry em how I like them.  Did you brown your turkey in the oven after the sous vide?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/22 8:56 p.m.

In reply to Stampie :

Bread+Fry would def work. 

I pulled the skin off, roasted it separately between two pans in the oven until it's crispy, and then broke it into pieces when it's done. 

It's a weird thing visually, but it tastes like bacon and I love it.

MyMiatas
MyMiatas Reader
11/24/22 8:56 p.m.

There is always this Sunday for Thanksgiving. You maybe good enough by then. 

Stampie
11/24/22 9:08 p.m.

In reply to CrustyRedXpress :

Oh I understand.  One Thanksgiving I took the skin off the turkey trimmings from Grandma Stampie and fried them like bacon.  Good E36 M3.

Opti
Opti Dork
11/24/22 9:12 p.m.

We host a Friendsgiving every year. This year we had like 22 RSVP, and had over 45 show. Its a potluck though, and couple friends and me handle the protein. I dont have 2 ovens so I was running between the house and my rental house, trying to cook a turkey and 4 racks of ribs simultaneously. It was pretty stressful and people just kept showing up. Once my buddies showed up and the protein all hit the table, we immediately grabbed the bourbon, built a fire and sat down.

It was fun but it was pretty stressful, If it continues to get larger every year, Im going to have to make adjustments going forward.

Stampie
11/24/22 9:52 p.m.

In reply to Opti :

That sounds like a successful Thanksgiving/Friendsgiving.  It reminds me of my favorite Thanksgiving.  In 92 I was in the Air Force stationed at Hurlburt Field in the panhandle of FL.  I was in my early 20s and most of my fellow Airmen were also.  Grandma Stampie offered to come down and cook Thanksgiving dinner for all of us.  IIRC there where four of us living within a half mile.  Grandma Stampie and I got a plan together where we could cook everything in the four households and have it all ready at the same time so everyone could eat at my house.  Imagine driving around the neighborhood to not only put things in the ovens but also to go back and check that everything was going well.  I still remember how happy she was when we got everything cooked and 40 or so Airmen showed up to eat.  Think about all the Armed Forces people that couldn't go home this weekend.  Thanks Grandma Stampie for making that year a great one.

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/24/22 9:56 p.m.

Medication has improved my wife enough is thinking she might finish it this weekend  Then I'll deliver it all  to our guests. 

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/24/22 9:57 p.m.

Sorry that you were sick Frenchy. That sucks. 
We invited friends because most the family had someplace else to be. Had a wonderful time with people that we enjoy spending time with. Best thanksgiving in years. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/24/22 10:18 p.m.

Thanks Nick.  Appreciate the thought. 

Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter)
Adrian_Thompson (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
11/24/22 10:19 p.m.

Sorry, I feel for you, but we're in the same situation.  We were supposed to be 21, myself and several others now have COVID, I spent last night in ER getting IV fluids and pain meds it was so bad.  Back home now but miserable.  

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/24/22 10:41 p.m.

Hey get well.   That Covid isn't something to fool with. 

hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass Dork
11/25/22 4:11 a.m.

Im sick too. It sucks. I was so looking forward to hanging with my inlaws for Thanksgiving yesterday, but started feeling a little off on Wednesday night. Yesterday at 2pm I checked my temp, as I still was feeling bad....worse, actually. Just under 100*, wife said "youre not going" ha

I was home alone all day, it sucked, I still feel bad.

Ate a lot of stuffing though (it's what I had made for her family's gathering).

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
11/25/22 12:27 p.m.

In reply to hybridmomentspass :

I at least shared my illness with my wife! 
    She claims I got her sick?    ( yeh, I did, brought it home from the bus route).  
     Pretty hard to live with someone and not share a cold.   Your wife may be a carrier sharing your cold with her family.  It's how those nasty things get around. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
m2Uhe6AgI1rQWBg5vafpHj5Deg9F0ZneNYzSgAUKHYCJ2Le8OA740pjKaFev5ljf