1 2
spacecadet (Forum Supporter)
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/24/20 11:10 p.m.

Got my replay settings corrected and captured the hilarious Heat race start from tonight.

Jesse Ransom (FFS)
Jesse Ransom (FFS) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/25/20 12:21 a.m.

Almost regretting that this chunk of quarantine fun budget went into 3D printing instead of getting the sim pulled together. I suppose I didn't really have time to get up to speed and not be a menace for this anyhow...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/25/20 6:50 a.m.

So has GRM thought of approaching Iracing about some sort of GRM deal?  Like if you purchase a year of Iracing you get the tracks and cars that GRM is using for free?  

11/25/20 9:05 a.m.
dean1484 said:

So has GRM thought of approaching Iracing about some sort of GRM deal?  Like if you purchase a year of Iracing you get the tracks and cars that GRM is using for free?  

Hahaha, while I wish there was a way in hell that would be possible.... iRacing has their racket and they know it.. 

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
11/25/20 8:42 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:
dean1484 said:

Hahaha, while I wish there was a way in hell that would be possible.... iRacing has their racket and they know it.. 

Yeah. This. 

While we're very friendly with iRacing, they're also having their best marketing done by nature at the moment. We can't compete with that and hold no grudges for them riding the wave. Maybe at some point we'll be able to offer some partner deals, but for now iRacing and World of Warcraft get my money every month just like the power company. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/25/20 10:27 p.m.

My new claim to fame is that I was slow enough to be in Tom O'Gorman's way in practice. I blame cold tires. laugh

11/26/20 12:46 a.m.

In reply to JG Pasterjak :

In less than 60 days iRacing has managed to make me part with nearly $300. And my only thought is to what am I going to need to buy next to get my fix for the next series I haven't run yet in the other cars I haven't driven yet. 

--Insert Dave chappelle drug addict meme--

*Scratches neck*

Y'all got any more of that iRacing?

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/26/20 11:00 a.m.

Also, it was mid-practice when I realized that even with a fixed setup, that I could adjust the brake bias. Not sure when iRacing changed that, but it's very good. laugh

adam525i (Forum Supporter)
adam525i (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/26/20 11:07 a.m.

In reply to slowbird :

I'm pretty sure you can change traction control/ABS settings as well if you have buttons mapped to them and if those settings are adjustable by the driver in real life.

11/26/20 12:01 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

i mapped it, but couldn't seem to get anything to change in the corvette.. so I was struggling with rear lockup the whole night.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/27/20 2:02 p.m.
spacecadet (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to slowbird :

i mapped it, but couldn't seem to get anything to change in the corvette.. so I was struggling with rear lockup the whole night.

There's a black box for in-car adjustments (F8) that will show the current brake bias and it should change if adjustible.  Brake Bias on the C8r is expressed as a % on the bottom left of the car's dashboard (above map and mixture) as well.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/27/20 6:00 p.m.

Tonight's the last night in the series, so go get 'em, team. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/27/20 10:37 p.m.

I'm sweating after that one, and not just because my rig is right next to a heat vent, lol.

11/27/20 11:04 p.m.

In reply to slowbird :

me too, i had a few mistakes, but a lot of the issues I had was getting caught up in other peoples accident aftermath.

JG Pasterjak
11/27/20 11:19 p.m.
slowbird said:

I'm sweating after that one, and not just because my rig is right next to a heat vent, lol.

See, I'm pretty chill at Nurburgring once the race starts. Qualifying is nerve-wracking because there's a zillion places to get 0xed and you'll  lose 10 minutes of your life, but the races flow nicely.

Bathurst on the other hand... I love that track, but every lap is like a thousand lifetimes. You have to put the car in so many situations where things are just out of your hands on every lap. There' probbly a good 15 seconds each lap where you're basically just a passenger, watching to see if your most recent decision was the correct one. 

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/28/20 8:44 a.m.

That was a good one.  I feel like I punched way above my weight considering the real life experience of the drivers around me.

JG Pasterjak
11/28/20 12:10 p.m.

And based on the enthusiasm fom this series, I think we'll most likely do something similar again at Christmas time. Maybe a few events the week between Christmas and New Years? Maybe a broadcast? If there's interest and a viable case to be made that it makes editorial/marketing/promotional sense, I'll pursue it. 

David S. Wallens
11/28/20 12:24 p.m.

Color me interested in watching. (Need an announcer?)

tbear2500
tbear2500 New Reader
11/29/20 4:48 p.m.

Thanks for hosting, I had a great time. Here's one of my highlights (or lowlights, I suppose). https://youtu.be/39GcnKKrfBc

David S. Wallens
11/29/20 5:12 p.m.

In reply to tbear2500 :

We've all been there. Still looked fun. Thanks again, JG, for hosting. 

slowbird
slowbird SuperDork
11/29/20 5:28 p.m.

Heck yeah I'll do the Christmas ones. I might even do some practice next time! laugh

TXratti
TXratti Reader
11/30/20 2:11 p.m.

Was a fun time! Had a blast learning a bunch of new tracks and cars.

red_stapler
red_stapler SuperDork
11/30/20 9:11 p.m.
JG Pasterjak said:

And based on the enthusiasm fom this series, I think we'll most likely do something similar again at Christmas time. Maybe a few events the week between Christmas and New Years? Maybe a broadcast? If there's interest and a viable case to be made that it makes editorial/marketing/promotional sense, I'll pursue it. 

I think a "vintage race" format would be fun with some of the back catalog of iRacing cars.  You could do a race with the GTP-ZX, HPD ARX, Riley DP, Corvette DP, etc.  Another race could be formula cars with the Formula Mazda, older Indycars, Williams F1, etc.  The GT race could be the Audi 90, the NC Miata, Ford GT GT2, C6 Corvette, etc.

JG Pasterjak
11/30/20 9:49 p.m.
red_stapler said:
JG Pasterjak said:

I think a "vintage race" format would be fun with some of the back catalog of iRacing cars.  You could do a race with the GTP-ZX, HPD ARX, Riley DP, Corvette DP, etc.  Another race could be formula cars with the Formula Mazda, older Indycars, Williams F1, etc.  The GT race could be the Audi 90, the NC Miata, Ford GT GT2, C6 Corvette, etc.

I like this a lot.

In related news, iRacing REALLY needs a tube-frame GT car.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
62ZRUVIcIwDoDyZn5UoIVukPipCsHadGZKG6YAvI9aadN9HAyaASodVwzur9Z3fs