drsmooth
drsmooth HalfDork
12/29/19 5:57 p.m.

I think this article sums up why the 70's was the greatest decade ever. Except Disco. It still sucks

Saron81
Saron81 Reader
12/30/19 8:40 a.m.

I remember seeing that on the old Faces of Death VHS.

AnthonyGS
AnthonyGS GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/31/19 2:05 a.m.

Agree on Disco....  got sucked in and watched entire thing.  Canucks, rockets, cars, ramps......  what could go wrong?  

BoostedBrandon
BoostedBrandon SuperDork
12/31/19 2:23 a.m.

The little stubby wings are my favorite part.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/31/19 6:19 a.m.

Too bad the article says he left the ramp at 280mph when it was actually 180mph

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
12/31/19 6:25 a.m.

Carter died three years later. He was jumping another jet car and it landed roof first, killing him on the spot. I remember a good bit of this whole stunt as I was living in Toronto at the time and it occasionally made the news.

NickD
NickD PowerDork
12/31/19 7:08 a.m.
DeadSkunk (Warren) said:

Carter died three years later. He was jumping another jet car and it landed roof first, killing him on the spot. I remember a good bit of this whole stunt as I was living in Toronto at the time and it occasionally made the news.

That one was a Firebird, I believe. And after the Continental incident, he was supposed to do a number of jumps, but at the last second would lose his nerve and cancel each one at the last second. Engineers had done all the math for the Firebird and it was supposed to launch with a half load of fuel, but he started getting all anxious due to the Continental incident, and he demanded a fuel load of fuel. That threw off the weight balance and trajectory and caused it to flip and kill him

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/31/19 7:45 a.m.

Sometimes stupidity is in such excess that you have to immortalize it to protect future generations from it. 

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/31/19 7:58 a.m.

Wow, he really thought he could jump that car a MILE? 5280 feet??

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory PowerDork
12/31/19 3:53 p.m.

In reply to maschinenbau :

He was supposed to be doing something like 280mph but left 100mph slower than that. I don't think an additional 100mph would get him a mile.

jde
jde HalfDork
12/31/19 3:56 p.m.

Skip the linked clip in the article, and watch the documentary released by the National Film Board of Canada:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JgIhGTpKTwM

https://blog.nfb.ca/blog/2010/06/23/is-this-for-real/

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
IvHCJuxDVyR1nXjoNOiujrf3CHuD2Ns6maPYbZVZ4GEp7nP7W24R6jc5F0a5yilp