1 ... 3 4 5
Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/19/21 10:22 a.m.

In reply to RX8driver :

A minor point, but I wouldn't say enthusiasts typically go for the sti. I mean, I'm sure they typically would like to, but when I bought mine there was no way the premium was worth it. That's a huge jump in price.

But I totally agree that there are lots of not-really-enthusiasts driving WRXs; probably the vast majority of them.

MrFancypants
MrFancypants Reader
9/19/21 2:24 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
MrFancypants said:
RX8driver said:

One thing to note about the 2015-2021 WRX's is that they've got a rubber coupling in the steering shaft that's not present in the STI. 

Why would they do that? It's like they just don't understand the type of person who wants a WRX...

Maybe they do?  I mean, you can get an OEM level parts upgrade from a junkyard or eBay, and some people don't care how good stock is if there is a way they can think they are upgrading it...

I don't know... every non car enthusiast I've known who purchased a recent WRX very quickly got rid of it because of the stiff suspension. I had a bugeye and I don't recall it being particularly stiff, but riding in a newer one I was surprised. It wasn't as harsh as the STI I owned, but compared to my GTI it may as well have been.

So they're going to give customers a stiff, uncomfortable suspension but then add unnecessary rubber parts to reduce NVH in the steering? That doesn't make sense to me.

rallyxPOS13
rallyxPOS13 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/19/21 5:39 p.m.

I realize my previous comment may make me sound like a hater....  So to set the bias:

I've owned 3 GC generation chassis, and those are daily driving and enthusiast motorsport bliss, good visibility, ergonomics, lightweight, decent NA torque.  I've also owned a bugeye WRX wagon, the perfect do-it-all car, AutoX RallyX and a comfortable drive to work.  With a better turbo and a handful of supporting mods, was as fast as I neede it to be.  In college I had a poster of Mark Lovell's ProRally car in my dorm, I always appreciated the funky styling of the bugeye....

Later on in life, my wife encouraged me to get an Adult Car, so co-workers didn't have to scramble around a cage to get to lunch, and I bought an overweight bloated WRX with plastic cladding...  and I have to say, Subaru nailed the styling on that in 2005 way better than today:

Turbo motor, now making about the same power as the modern car, manual transmission with 4.44 gears make it seem far quicker than it really is, and every other motorist just thinks I'm munchin' on granola with on the highway.

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1MeU6WpEWymJRK7JkF1X8pFHytAd9E7VvBKVAqwaShpmX6RVwy6lkmDuqen1LS5M