1 2 3 ... 17
P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/19/10 10:27 p.m.

Alright, we'll do this the right way. An old-school build thread! The car is a just-purchased (8/16/10) AMC Javelin. It's the SST trim package, 360ci V8, 4Bbl, dual exhaust. It has a 727 Torque-Flite transmission, an inverted-U floor shifter on a full console, power front disc brakes (with dual-piston calipers), and power steering. It also has a tilt wheel and electric wipers.

The Javelin has been sitting for well over 20 years, and I will be technically the 4th owner. It was abandoned at one time, but I have all the legal stuff signed, sealed, and notarized to make it mine except one little tiny detail - it has to be presented to the local State Troopers in running form to prove that it's been rebuilt!

So, the plan is to get it running!

Reader's Ride

P71
8/19/10 10:30 p.m.

Since it needs to run, I figured a good first step was cleaning off the 20 years of dirt so I could work on it. Here's the before shot:

Here's what an hour of shop-vac, scrubbing, and elbow grease got me:

No water made it into the engine and both the oil and trans fluid still look and smell new! It honestly looks like a battery and a squirt of gas are all it's going to take to get the old 360 to fire. More to come (especially as racing season ends and winter steps in!)

P71
8/19/10 11:34 p.m.

This is my inspiration. Especially since mine is already Trans-Am Red!

P71
8/19/10 11:35 p.m.

And this one has the stance, wheels, and even the color!

OK, enough drooling. I'll get back to work on it after the weekend (autocrossing Sat & Sun).

MrBenjamonkey
MrBenjamonkey Reader
8/19/10 11:45 p.m.

Damn dude, it looks like you found a score.

If you want to make it super bad ass, the 401 V8 will bolt right in and they are stupid tough engines. Forged crank/rods. People loved them for desert racing because they wouldn't pop when you overrevved them on jumps and whoops.

Are you staying automatic or swapping in something cool?

P71
8/19/10 11:47 p.m.

OK, wasn't quite done drooling yet. I found one built as an autocross car. Gotta love the modern takes on the minilites from Donohue's original (which just sold for $847,000!!! ).

P71
8/19/10 11:48 p.m.
MrBenjamonkey wrote: Damn dude, it looks like you found a score. If you want to make it super bad ass, the 401 V8 will bolt right in and they are stupid tough engines. Forged crank/rods. People loved them for desert racing because they wouldn't pop when you overrevved them on jumps and whoops. Are you staying automatic or swapping in something cool?

All in due time I've owned a 401 for 10 years, and had the AMC T-5 for it for 5. Those were the whole reason I was even looking for an AMC project. And yes, both will eventually go into the Javelin.

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/20/10 12:12 a.m.

Keep the outside scabby and turn the guts golden. Please.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath Dork
8/20/10 12:25 a.m.

Hint hint ...

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
8/20/10 12:43 a.m.

What's not to like? Get cracking on it and post pics!

2002maniac
2002maniac HalfDork
8/20/10 12:51 a.m.

Very cool car!

P71
8/20/10 8:06 a.m.

The pictures found their way into the GRM machine, so I edited the first two posts to how they should have started.

bravenrace
bravenrace Dork
8/20/10 8:13 a.m.
P71 wrote: And this one has the stance, wheels, and even the color! OK, enough drooling. I'll get back to work on it after the weekend (autocrossing Sat & Sun).

Wow, is that a factory color? I love it! Damn you, P71! I've never liked these cars before, and now you've got me wanting one! I'll be following your build closely.

stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
8/20/10 8:22 a.m.

Way (way) cool!. What year? '71? Looks like a real clean car to start with.

I've had a bad desire for some V8 happiness again lately too...

Thanks for the thread (and inspiration)!

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
8/20/10 8:23 a.m.

Very clean looking car. This will be a keeper for sure.

P71
8/20/10 8:44 a.m.

bravenrace,

That is a 71 in either Bittersweet or Copper. AMC had some amazing colors back in the day.

stan,

Mine's a 73.

bravenrace
bravenrace UltimaDork
8/20/10 9:02 a.m.

In reply to P71:

When I was 7 years old I got my first Hot Wheel car. It was a copper colored Cougar. Then just by chance my first car was a '68 Camaro that was just a plain old coupe except it was one of 300 that were painted Corvette Bronze like the one below. I've loved that type of color ever since.

a401cj
a401cj GRM+ Memberand New Reader
8/20/10 8:34 p.m.

you'll love the 401. 304s and 360's are stones but 401's are a whole 'nother paradigm. They are 454 Chevy strong. Make sure you've got the right harmonic balancer (they're unique) and flywheel or flexplate and it is a direct bolt in. EVERYTHING lines right up.

Have fun!

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
8/20/10 9:30 p.m.

When I was a kid, my favorite Matchbox was this one:

I'll be keeping an eye on your build.

btp76
btp76 Reader
8/20/10 10:21 p.m.

A good friend of mine had one of those several years ago. Driving down the freeway one day the fiberglass hood "unbonded" from the metal frame and blew away. If yours is glass you may want to... I dunno, do something to keep it on.

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
8/21/10 7:33 a.m.

Great score!

The Javelin has always been one of my two favorite pony cars, the other is the 1969 Camaro. I remember the ads for the Javelin: 'We went all out to make the Javelin a really different-looking car. Even at the risk of scaring some people off'.

Billy_Bottle_Caps
Billy_Bottle_Caps Reader
8/21/10 8:29 a.m.

Cool car, can't wait to see more progress. You must have a ton of AMC's up your way, you always seem to be tripping over one

BBC

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/21/10 8:36 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to P71: When I was 7 years old I got my first Hot Wheel car. It was a copper colored Cougar. Then just by chance my first car was a '68 Camaro that was just a plain old coupe except it was one of 300 that were painted Corvette Bronze like the one below. I've loved that type of color ever since.

Slight hijack (sorry P71 :)). My friend's Infiniti 4.5 powered 240Z (he's called it the 450Z) is a similar colour. I rhink it's from a Dodge.

bruceman
bruceman New Reader
8/21/10 8:43 a.m.

Awesomeness

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
8/21/10 10:12 a.m.

You can thread-jack all day with Z cars like that.

1 2 3 ... 17

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
eX9aHL5L8u99kAhFLVFvBlMLTfoioR34uzRqVIPJgfFika7ICvN5jSBsWW5j10KO