1 2 3
DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/27/11 6:06 p.m.

ZEP 2000. I've been using it for about a year and a half now and can't believe how great this stuff is. It makes PB Blaster and WD40 look like colored water. I just had to remove a rusty trans-cooler line for a buddy. You rust belt folks know well what happens next. The nut and the line are frozen together and the line twists into a pretzel and eventually tears. A little shot of Zep and about 30 minutes later it's spinning quite nicely. I also had to remove the air box on this car (98 Jeep XJ with 235K on it, rusty and beat up). Now, these welded on nuts would break all the time on me. I spray this on and, again, after a little wait they all come off. The great thing about this stuff is it sprays on almost like spray trim adhesive. It stays put so it can work on the rust. When I got the air box bolts out the threads were wet 3/4 down the bolt!
I'm not stepping on the toes of advertisers here, it's just that I've been meaning to post this here for a while. This stuff really works and I'll never use anything else! I've not had ONE broken or stripped bolt since I've been using it.

pres589
pres589 Dork
11/27/11 6:07 p.m.

ZEP products have all been, in my experience, some of if not the best stuff out there.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
11/27/11 6:28 p.m.

Never used Zep stuff but Kano Labs Aero Kroil is awesome.

novaderrik
novaderrik Dork
11/27/11 6:28 p.m.

never tried it, but i can't image it being any better than the GM Heat Valve Penetrant you can get at any GM dealer- which is also sold as the foamy PB Blaster everywhere else.

dankspeed
dankspeed Reader
11/27/11 6:34 p.m.

KY?

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/11 6:37 p.m.

I was skeptical until I read the word "Jeep" and discovered that you live in Michigan. I've got to try this stuff.

And just last week, I recommended Zep-Alum to someone on here!

neckromacr
neckromacr Reader
11/27/11 6:50 p.m.
dankspeed wrote: KY?

I'm glad I'm not the only one that thought of this.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey HalfDork
11/27/11 6:51 p.m.

Where does one procure this wondrous decimator of all things rusty?

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
11/27/11 7:07 p.m.
novaderrik wrote: never tried it, but i can't image it being any better than the GM Heat Valve Penetrant you can get at any GM dealer- which is also sold as the foamy PB Blaster everywhere else.

Nope, I've used that stuff. It's good but leaps and bounds less effective than ZEP. Not knocking it, but it's just nowhere near as good as ZEP. After wrenching on cars in MI for 20 or so years I can tell you, I've used lots of different stuff. ZEP is all I'm using from now on.

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
11/27/11 7:15 p.m.

So where, exactly, does one procure said miraculous dissolver of all things orange, scaley and stuck? (I'm about to start taking the suspension apart on a 17 y.o. Miata that spent the last decade of its life in Michigan, so I must have this wonderous substance.)

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
11/27/11 7:27 p.m.

A challenger appears!

Derick Freese
Derick Freese Dork
11/27/11 7:40 p.m.

In reply to Osterkraut:

Seriously?

wbjones
wbjones SuperDork
11/27/11 7:46 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Where does one procure this wondrous decimator of all things rusty?

google to the rescue

http://www.zep.com/

http://www.zep.com/ZepSearch/default1.aspx?search=Penetrants&num=20&match=Exact&country=U

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/11 7:53 p.m.

Anyone tried the seafoam penitrant? It is twice the cost of PB. I got a can but have not had a chance to try it out.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/27/11 8:24 p.m.

I'll have to try the Zep. Where do you get it?

Best I've tried so far is Kroil

hotrodlarry
hotrodlarry Reader
11/27/11 8:31 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: A challenger appears!

it works..I won't use anything else.

pigeon
pigeon Dork
11/27/11 8:34 p.m.

Timely thread since my can of PB Blaster got emptied on the brake rotor retaining screws on the 750Li last week, and I have a set of coilovers sitting in the trunk of the M3 waiting to go on, requiring the removal of bolts that have seen 10 Buffalo winters The suspension's probably not going on until after the holidays, but it wouldn't hurt to start soaking those bolts now. Google tells me that ZEP 2000 is a penetrating teflon grease - I wonder if they have a straight corrosion-busting penetrant?

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/27/11 8:48 p.m.

Been using Kroil for 30 yrs. and been content w/ it. We'd get it in 5 gal containers at work, some guys would go through it like free beer. I'm down to my last 8 ounces now so I apply it sparingly w/ a small syringe.. but that's all it really takes. After the Kroil is used up I'm gonna hafta try that Zep.. if it's really that good.

After making pretzels out of old tubing I use anti-seize on tubing nut threads and on the tube inside the nut including the rear face of the flare. Maybe it will save somebody some work in 20 yrs if my old junk is still on the road.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro Dork
11/27/11 9:03 p.m.

Gaahhh!

You guys got me hooked on PB Blaster a couple years ago, now I have to hunt down a new product.

I've used the GM stuff at work, it's pretty good but not as good as PB.

Now I hear there's something better, I gotta try it. All I do is work on rusty old cars.

It's pretty hard to beat the old blue-tipped wrench though.

Shawn

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid Dork
11/27/11 9:25 p.m.

Kroil is the next smelliest fluid to ATF, but it works awesome. I will have to find Zep and try it out.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
11/27/11 9:30 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
DaveEstey wrote: Where does one procure this wondrous decimator of all things rusty?
google to the rescue http://www.zep.com/ http://www.zep.com/ZepSearch/default1.aspx?search=Penetrants&num=20&match=Exact&country=U

Which one. There are 10 different ZEP penetrants listed there.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/27/11 9:30 p.m.

Note to self: Buy Zep stock Monday morning...

peter
peter Reader
11/27/11 9:32 p.m.
pigeon wrote: I wonder if they have a straight corrosion-busting penetrant?

According to their website, they do.

Zep Super Penetrant

But the Zep 2000 stuff is called a "penetrating grease" in their literature.

I used to swear by PB Blaster, but on my last project I used Kroil to great effect. Still, it failed me a couple weeks ago on a rusty fog-light attachment bolt. Maybe I'll have to try this Zep stuff...

fasted58
fasted58 SuperDork
11/27/11 9:48 p.m.

the magazine should do a comparison test of all the brands plus the homebrews

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/27/11 10:03 p.m.

It seems to be difficult to buy smaller amounts

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZigytfBrvJsgXorrN8ptu48RrflY42Hf2UdENH5CzkDW77a7dZjgmBRTrY39smvJ