4/28/09 7:32 p.m.

4 doors, AWD or FWD
Prefer with a hatch (Rear Wiper FTW!)
SUV, Wagon, Hatchback = cool
Convertble, Coupe, Pickup, Van = Uncool
absolutely no V8s
Less than 3k
Less than 150k on it
Able to out run a caravan 3.3 from a stop light.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard GRM+ Memberand SonDork
4/28/09 7:36 p.m.

Subaru!

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/28/09 8:42 p.m.

Integra's are getting down in that region now. Sweet cars. I had a White 4-door GSR (yes, for real, it was Canadian eh!) for about 18 hours (some dude bought it in cash while I was cleaning it up!). I've worked on a few since then. Always liked them. Not a hatch in 4-door though.

2.5RS era Impreza wagon also sounds right there.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
4/28/09 9:20 p.m.

2nd-gen Camry wagon with the V6. The motor has a suprising amount of low-end for a DOHC, and they only weigh 2800 lbs or so with a manual.

Only issue is changing plugs on the rear bank, you have to the upper intake manifold, if not the lower, too. Well, that, and it's a Camry.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
4/28/09 9:27 p.m.
Tommy Suddard wrote: Subaru!

fails at the last requirement.
I have looked at several, but they just don't move well enough after 96 or so.

benzbaron
benzbaron Reader
4/28/09 9:38 p.m.

Didn't they make a mercedes 300te 4matic? I don't know how the 4matic sytem works though. I'm sure given the benz depriciation they are around that price and a hell of a lot more car than some other options.

ratghia
ratghia New Reader
4/28/09 9:42 p.m.

4 door golf

walterj
walterj Dork
4/28/09 11:00 p.m.

E30 325iX grey market wagon

bludroptop
bludroptop Dork
4/29/09 5:53 a.m.
walterj wrote: E30 325iX grey market wagon

I'll take as many of those as you can find, at or below the OP's price limit!!

Not very creative, but a Volvo 855T meets all of the criteria.

internetautomart
4/29/09 8:10 a.m.

My concern on the 855T is the "T", I'm worried about it failing and then cost of replacing it.
4 dr Golf is a good idea, I'll have to see what is around.
Mercedes 300TE 4matic is an interesting thought, just worried about replacement part availability.
E30 wagon? haven't seen ANY here at all, also the parts availability issue springs to mind.

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
4/29/09 8:25 a.m.

ya i would have to say a mk3 golf would do the trick

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/29/09 9:20 a.m.

I agree with Tommy. Late 90's Subaru Outback Sport seems to fit all of the requirements.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
4/29/09 10:09 a.m.
internetautomart wrote:
Tommy Suddard wrote: Subaru!
fails at the last requirement. I have looked at several, but they just don't move well enough after 96 or so.

Really?

This one isn't scared of any Caravan except for Mini-Me. It's not fast, but you could do much worse.

I'd love to find a 3.0L H6 motor to swap into it, but it's not terribly likely.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/29/09 10:27 a.m.

mid to late 80's Maxima Wagon.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar Dork
4/29/09 10:28 a.m.

wait, I just saw you're in chicago. I'm sure 10 years ago they were all waaay rotten 'round there.

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/09 10:52 a.m.
internetautomart wrote: My concern on the 855T is the "T", I'm worried about it failing and then cost of replacing it.

Turbo seal kits are ~$60. If you just want to swap a replacement in, I picked up my 16t for $200.

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/29/09 11:22 a.m.

What about a 95-02 Saturn SW2 wagon? 122hp isn't much but the cars are light as hell. My wifes SL sedan with 100hp got 40mpg with no problem. Cheap and reliable, although I have heard stories about oil consumption. Just rack up the miles and dispose in a few years.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/29/09 11:26 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: 2nd-gen Camry wagon with the V6. The motor has a suprising amount of low-end for a DOHC, and they only weigh 2800 lbs or so with a manual. Only issue is changing plugs on the rear bank, you have to the upper intake manifold, if not the lower, too. Well, that, and it's a Camry.

This. They're FWD muscle cars in disguise. My buddy has one, and it's sick twisted fun baiting fox bodies at stoplights.

81gtv6
81gtv6 GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/29/09 11:33 a.m.

A 99 to 03 SAAB 9-3. Hatch, very safe, 2nd and 3rd gear will make you smile, cheap and will run on regular gas. Just make sure it has had the oil changed like it should have.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
4/29/09 11:47 a.m.

Direct past and copy from the other "what car thread" but fits even better in here.

HAha yet another thread to whore out my SAAB's!

I say get a 1996-98 SAAB 9000 great gas mileage on the highway (29-32)mpg, Turbo, huge amounts of cargo space, great seats for long trips, timing chain that doesn't have to be changed very 60k miles, runs on regular pump gas not premium, parts are fairly cheap and easy to get, extremely safe cars.

There, go buy one now!

Oh I forgot to mention that they're dead sexy and not plain vanilla.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/29/09 12:20 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: 2nd-gen Camry wagon with the V6. The motor has a suprising amount of low-end for a DOHC, and they only weigh 2800 lbs or so with a manual. Only issue is changing plugs on the rear bank, you have to the upper intake manifold, if not the lower, too. Well, that, and it's a Camry.
This. They're FWD muscle cars in disguise. My buddy has one, and it's sick twisted fun baiting fox bodies at stoplights.

Dude. Seriously. Just stop.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/29/09 12:50 p.m.

I have a neighbor with an amazingly clean, slightly lowered Accord Wagon. I now desperately want one (maybe not quite as ricey as these...or maybe so:)

internetautomart
4/29/09 1:04 p.m.
poopshovel wrote: I have a neighbor with an amazingly clean, slightly lowered Accord Wagon. I now desperately want one (maybe not quite as ricey as these...or maybe so:)

joo mean lika dis : http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1144571724.html

(it is not in the running)

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
4/29/09 1:26 p.m.
P71 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
Dude. Seriously. Just stop.

Yeah, you got me. Just like your suggestions, a V6 manual tranny Camry with under 150k miles in good shape isn't going to happen.

Move along, nothing to look at here.

Nashco
Nashco SuperDork
4/29/09 1:42 p.m.

I say first generation Impreza wagon or last generation of the Civic wagon. Tough to find the Impreza in decent shape at your price point, tough to find a Civic wagon in decent shape at all. Might be worth looking at Audis if you're a glutton for punishment, there are great steals out there if you don't mind buying something that the current owner can't afford to fix.

Bryce

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hnhwjumouHacZbivNj5dF81CzJlpZwvBsXBuVuEYRrGnEDBGHsJ1JwlNW7hvotHQ