1 2
poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
4/29/09 1:51 p.m.
internetautomart wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I have a neighbor with an amazingly clean, slightly lowered Accord Wagon. I now desperately want one (maybe not quite as ricey as these...or maybe so:)
joo mean lika dis : http://chicago.craigslist.org/chc/cto/1144571724.html (it is not in the running)

w34p0n RRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRrr, y0!!!11!!111!

Rusty_Rabbit84
Rusty_Rabbit84 Reader
4/29/09 2:01 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
internetautomart wrote:
poopshovel wrote: I have a neighbor with an amazingly clean, slightly lowered Accord Wagon. I now desperately want one (maybe not quite as ricey as these...or maybe so:)
oh my god!! a good looking accord!!!
amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/29/09 2:09 p.m.

The Saab might be a great option for you. Find a turbo charged one w/ a manual trans and you're good to go. I saw some last time I was looking. Huge hatches.

A turbo Volvo wagon should be easy to find so long as automatic is acceptable.

The VW Golf 3 is only available in the 4 cylinder w/ 4 doors. Otherwise the Golf 3 VR6 might be a good choice.

The Audi A4 might also do the trick but hard to find the wagon in your price range and more complex to work on.

The Merc wagon might be a good option too if an automatic is acceptable.

The subies in that price range are slow and have high mileage. The Camry wagon drives terribly IMO but is probably very reliable.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
4/29/09 2:14 p.m.
amg_rx7 wrote: The Saab might be a great option for you. Find a turbo charged one w/ a manual trans and you're good to go. I saw some last time I was looking. Huge hatches. A turbo Volvo wagon should be easy to find so long as automatic is acceptable. The VW Golf 3 is only available in the 4 cylinder w/ 4 doors. Otherwise the Golf 3 VR6 might be a good choice. The Audi A4 might also do the trick but hard to find the wagon in your price range and more complex to work on. The Merc wagon might be a good option too if an automatic is acceptable. The subies in that price range are slow and have high mileage. The Camry wagon drives terribly IMO but is probably very reliable.

it has to be an automatic (back up car for the family, my DD)
I'd actually rather stay N/A at this point instead of turbo unless I find something with serious records, too many turbos are beat hard and put away hot.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/29/09 4:23 p.m.

Anyone mention B4 or B5 Passat Wagen? We loved our 94 GLX Wagen, rear folded very flat, lots of features and very comfortable on trips. We had a B5 wagen but missed the power of the VR car and the rear didn't fold as flat.

Bigger than the Golf's and parts are cheaper than the Audi's.

My $ .02

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/29/09 4:48 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:

Damn. That is 17 different kinds of hot.

72SuperBrian
72SuperBrian Reader
4/29/09 5:18 p.m.

How about a Saab 9-2X with a whole bunch of miles (130K-150K) on it?

I don't know the story behind it, but I saw an '05 in the local paper for $6500 with 89,000 miles on it, so a sub-$3000/higher mileage one is theoretically possible.

9-2X = Impreza wagon with a funny nose and Saab emblems

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
4/29/09 5:33 p.m.
72SuperBrian wrote: 9-2X = Impreza wagon with a better looking nose and Saab emblems

fixed. If I ever find a 9-2X at pull-a-part my Bugeye is getting a make over.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/30/09 3:10 p.m.

I just remembered another car. Ford Focus. I think the FX5 or whatever the letters are represent a 4 door hatch. There is also a wagon version. They are cheap here in CA and pretty nice looking IMO.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/30/09 3:11 p.m.
internetautomart wrote:
amg_rx7 wrote: The Saab might be a great option for you. Find a turbo charged one w/ a manual trans and you're good to go. I saw some last time I was looking. Huge hatches. A turbo Volvo wagon should be easy to find so long as automatic is acceptable. The VW Golf 3 is only available in the 4 cylinder w/ 4 doors. Otherwise the Golf 3 VR6 might be a good choice. The Audi A4 might also do the trick but hard to find the wagon in your price range and more complex to work on. The Merc wagon might be a good option too if an automatic is acceptable. The subies in that price range are slow and have high mileage. The Camry wagon drives terribly IMO but is probably very reliable.
it has to be an automatic (back up car for the family, my DD) I'd actually rather stay N/A at this point instead of turbo unless I find something with serious records, too many turbos are beat hard and put away hot.

Actually, the Saab turbos probably aren't too bad. I have never seen a Saab getting beat on. :)

Travis_K
Travis_K HalfDork
4/30/09 6:06 p.m.

If it has to be an auto dont get a subaru or any vw/audi products.

internetautomart
internetautomart SuperDork
4/30/09 6:34 p.m.
Travis_K wrote: If it has to be an auto dont get a subaru or any vw/audi products.

around here anything automatic tends to get it's trans blown. I've seen almost every car advertised with a blown trans.
I do know where a 45k olds 98 is that I could probably get for $100. needs a radiator and core support tweak though. not really my cup of tea though. I have been expanding beyond hatches and wagons mostly because I have an issue spending 2k on a car that is 10-15yrs old.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
4/30/09 9:02 p.m.
P71 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: 2nd-gen Camry wagon with the V6. The motor has a suprising amount of low-end for a DOHC, and they only weigh 2800 lbs or so with a manual. Only issue is changing plugs on the rear bank, you have to the upper intake manifold, if not the lower, too. Well, that, and it's a Camry.
This. They're FWD muscle cars in disguise. My buddy has one, and it's sick twisted fun baiting fox bodies at stoplights.
Dude. Seriously. Just stop.

Is there some prior issue here that I wasn't aware of?

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Dork
5/1/09 9:55 a.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
P71 wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: 2nd-gen Camry wagon with the V6. The motor has a suprising amount of low-end for a DOHC, and they only weigh 2800 lbs or so with a manual. Only issue is changing plugs on the rear bank, you have to the upper intake manifold, if not the lower, too. Well, that, and it's a Camry.
This. They're FWD muscle cars in disguise. My buddy has one, and it's sick twisted fun baiting fox bodies at stoplights.
Dude. Seriously. Just stop.
Is there some prior issue here that I wasn't aware of?

He doesn't like me because i think that for most applications there is an older Toyota for a possible answer.

It's cool. It's the internet, i'm not mad.

P71
P71 GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/09 12:00 p.m.

I'm cool with older Toyotas, in fact I'd love me an early RWD Celica.

It's that every time somebody asks for a car you recommend boring, FWD, econoboxes with barely 100HP and then claim stupendous performance. Like a V6 Camry is a muscle car. Please son, you ever drag raced a 9-second car that does wheelies? THAT'S a muscle car. A 17-second Camry with a little "pep" is not.

If the recommendation fits, go for it, but hailing all Toyota's as God's own gift is getting old. Even I admit P71's suck and/or are not the best at something every once in a while.

Dorsai
Dorsai New Reader
5/1/09 2:48 p.m.

Mazda Protege5.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
qILGPoGmU41M0oj2oHcuX9J5Q0EN3oaPQYCry051Ot4hkgf3KWodf1fsWOBaM2Dp