Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/17/16 2:24 p.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/cDs4fjdqj5I

A grand fable of the Class 11 Baja bug. This one is wonderful.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
1/17/16 2:45 p.m.

that was cool, but did they finish?

lrrs
lrrs Reader
1/17/16 3:00 p.m.

Dang, after watching that I was hoping there would be a series, web, or even better something to replace some of the cap on TV.

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
1/20/16 12:01 a.m.

Here is a longer version...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B1j6LP5VdNU

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
1/20/16 5:59 a.m.

awesome.

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid Dork
1/20/16 10:26 p.m.

that was cool. the really funny thing was the pear evil thing was the monster engery truck in black...that was amsuing.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/21/16 7:52 a.m.

So after seeing that, how many of you went and looked up the rules to Class 11?

I did.

Then I thought.... which would I rather do- the Baja or the Carrera Panamericana?

While I've done some really fun work with a Baja team (for real work, no less), I know the answer is the Carrera. Both my wife and I have thought about it, and much of the work of our cars had been directed toward doing it. Plus, I know a few people who have done it.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
1/21/16 8:44 a.m.

I actually had the balls to say "Class 11? Yeah, I could do that."

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/21/16 9:00 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I actually had the balls to say "Class 11? Yeah, I could do that."

I think quite a few people here could build one, just as I think quite a few can make a great entry for the Carrera. I just don't see trying to do both.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/21/16 12:55 p.m.

The car in the video is actually for sale. You know, if you want a car that's been parked outside SEMA and has started the baja 1000 several times.

http://www.markmurrellmotorsports.com

Petrolburner
Petrolburner HalfDork
1/21/16 1:43 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: So after seeing that, how many of you went and looked up the rules to Class 11? I did. Then I thought.... which would I rather do- the Baja or the Carrera Panamericana? While I've done some really fun work with a Baja team (for real work, no less), I know the answer is the Carrera. Both my wife and I have thought about it, and much of the work of our cars had been directed toward doing it. Plus, I know a few people who have done it.

Thank you for pointing out this previously unknown to me rally.

La Carrera Panamericana (1950-1954), The Mexican Road Race, was one of the most famous events in auto racing history, attracting the world's greatest drivers. It was canceled in 1955 because of the cost and concerns about safety. In 1988 the event was revived as an open-road race (stage rally) and for twenty-eight years has offered both professional and amateur drivers an opportunity to experience the thrills and challenges of the original Pan- Am. Today it is unique in the world—driving at top speed on public highways, mostly through the mountains of central Mexico for a week.

Each year one hundred colorful, vintage cars line up in southern Mexico to race nearly 1800 miles north. The event passes though the heart of the country, a string of impressive mountains and beautiful colonial cities. The Mexican Highway Patrol, whose top officers travel with the race, clears the highways for the timed speed runs. Along the way, two million spectators cheer the race cars along.

Each night the race stops in a different city. In a typical year the Pan Am will start in Veracruz on the Gulf Coast and stop for the night in cities like Oaxaca, Puebla, Mexico City, Querétaro, Morelia, Zacatecas, and end in Durango. Except for Veracruz, these cities are at high altitude, so the weather is typically cool and clear.

The Mexican Road Race is always an adventure. Getting a race cars to the starting city can be a challenge. The Pan-Am remains a serious test of drivers and their cars, and a major cultural experience. Just finishing the race in Zacatecas or Durango after seven long days behind the wheel is a major accomplishment. Earning a spot on the podium is a huge bonus. It's a lifetime of memories. Join us this year. You may never have the opportunity again.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
1/21/16 3:15 p.m.

In reply to Petrolburner:

A friend of mine ran it in 2005 in an Alfa Giula, and I knew a group of guys who ran it in an old Ford in 2002 or 2003. They loved it. My GTV race car was configured to run in the race too- for a car of it's age, with lights, wipers, and indicators- it is roughly street legal. So we had plans to run it, too.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
1/21/16 5:29 p.m.

With a little expanded metal window work, you'd have got a mini-ZAV.

CLynn85
CLynn85 HalfDork
1/21/16 9:27 p.m.

After chasing twice for Class 11 teams, I think I can safely say that there are far better ways of making it down the peninsula...

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PFrUUL3BZ38joa0RLAafhhkPuub6zWi0Shf0r50KsuTeGXcny9Ol8nM7LsHyB8VU