1 2
HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
10/6/11 5:22 p.m.

I like the look of the new 9-5s. I've seen a few of them on the road. I could just never imagine msrp for one knowing how fast they depreciate and what else I could have for similar money. And once again GM blew it, I saw a spy photo of the new 9-5 a few years ago and it looked like the designers were contemplating a hatchback, the car now in production is not a hatch. ( designed by GM and originally supposed to be released in '08) .

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/6/11 5:24 p.m.

Saab was in trouble before GM bought it. Why lament the loss of a company that hasnt built cars that its customers want since the late '80s?

I say let it die, but then i've never had a thing for saabs anyway. i dont get being quirky just to be different, how does putting the ign switch in the center console make it a better car?

oh and what technology did saab have that GM wanted? how to build ugly cars.. no GM can do that without help.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy HalfDork
10/6/11 5:44 p.m.
aggravator wrote: oh and what technology did saab have that GM wanted? how to build ugly cars.. no GM can do that without help.

Um turbos that work right. Smart ecms that easily manage ignition boost and fuel and are adaptive. Safe body structures that don't weigh 4000 lbs. FWDs that don't torque steer. 4 cyl engines that make a lot of power and can last for 200k or more miles.

On second thought your right. SAAB had nothing of use to GM.

thestig99
thestig99 Reader
10/6/11 5:44 p.m.

Pains me to say it (speaking as a a life long Saab guy), but I don't see much of a future.

aggravator
aggravator New Reader
10/6/11 6:27 p.m.

Ok so GM never did do turbos and they gained something there. at least when the company dies their technology wont. or would you be happier if GM didnt gain anything by delaying the demise of a failing company with some rebadged cars.

If they were such great cars then why is the company failing? why has it been in trouble since long before the rest of the auto industry? some good technology doesnt make a good car.

Hal
Hal Dork
10/6/11 8:18 p.m.

Last good car SAAB built was the 96 V4. Many times I wish I still had mine.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/11 9:03 a.m.
aggravator wrote: Ok so GM never did do turbos and they gained something there. at least when the company dies their technology wont. or would you be happier if GM didnt gain anything by delaying the demise of a failing company with some rebadged cars. If they were such great cars then why is the company failing? why has it been in trouble since long before the rest of the auto industry? some good technology doesnt make a good car.

I have just one question. Have you ever driven a C900 Turbo? If not got do so and then come back and tell us what you think.

Yes Saab was in trouble when GM bought them, but after GM came into the picture they really did not do anything with Saab. Letting the 9-5 go from 1998 to 2008, really? But the 9-5 had a 5 star crash rating and the Vectra did not, Saab was doing something right. When was the last time you saw a Saab comercial on TV? How about V W, BMW or Audi?

The Trionic engine management system is\was the most advanced system around, turbo cars with no knock sensor and the ability to run any grade of gas you want, why did GM not use it on anything else? I am not even going to talk about how long it took GM to utilize the turbo tech that Saab had?

Has Saab built some crap, yes but they also did that before GM took over. Did they platform\engine share, yes but they also did that before GM. I think GM strangled the engineers at Saab and that is why Saab lost watever it is that made them special.

I will be sad if\when they go under, though I have not really done anything to help, there is no way I am going to go out and buy a new car of any kind.

PS I have heard two stories as to why the key is between the seats. One is that it reduced injuries in a crash, no key jammed into your knee. The other is that Saab found it saved a couple of seconds when getting in and starting the car from their rally days. I have no idea if either one is true or not.

Sorry for the book, I am done.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/11 9:24 a.m.
aggravator wrote: I say let it die, but then i've never had a thing for saabs anyway. i dont get being quirky just to be different, how does putting the ign switch in the center console make it a better car?

Switch in the console was for safety. Kept your knee from getting impaled by the keys in an accident. Remember, this was done WAY before the bulky columns of today.

If you have ever used the system, it is also fairly efficent. you have your right left hand on the wheel.. right hand turns the key to star the car.. and then only has to come up a couple of inches to put the car in it's proper gear

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kcx3HF7qzT7RGrjqfHz9IhyZ6LydzXRnEYQlUtBX4Gk71AC0bH5RuyiQu7PbPZCB