1 2
irish44j
irish44j Reader
3/7/10 9:11 p.m.

In reply to Josh:

I guess the point is that there appear to be people willing to buy it. So if "many" people on here could build the thing for a tiny fraction of the price I guess the real question is "why aren't you doing so?" And why aren't you selling the same product for $80 and profiting wildly to finance your next Lemons car or feed a poor kid in Africa or donate to cancer reserach or something?

There are also many people who can rebuild a transmission on this site, but I don't see threads dogging transmission shops for providing a service at a cost "many times" as much as people here could do it themselves....

Hell, as a naval architect I could use my skill and effort to build a fishing boat, but for some reason I decided to just buy one for more than I probably could have spent doing it myself (in theory).

Anyhow, just seems silly. There are alot of products/services out there that people could do themselves. Doesn't mean that said products/services are "stupid" or "ripoffs" necessarily.

I can easily cook an english muffin and eggs for about $1 in materials. But I still stop by McDonald's every morning and spend $2.49 on an egg mcmuffin......

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/7/10 9:12 p.m.

AMG Hammer

irish44j
irish44j Reader
3/7/10 9:16 p.m.
Josh wrote:
irish44j wrote: IDK, it's kind of funny listening to so many people here dogging it.
It's an item that's dubiously useful,

I'm also unclear about how this is "dubiously useful"

As cars go, a Miata or MR2 is "dubiously useful" for MOST things that one could need to use a car for aside from basic transporation or motorsports (family trips, golf clubs, 20 bags of mulch, towing a trailer, etc...) but that doesn't mean that most here don't use them for their very specific roles...

irish44j
irish44j Reader
3/7/10 9:17 p.m.

oh and

Hammer of the Gods Pictures, Images and Photos

irish44j
irish44j Reader
3/7/10 9:19 p.m.

and my personal favorite

Metal Hammer Cover Pictures, Images and Photos

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Reader
3/7/10 9:43 p.m.

I could build that hammer but I won't. I despise hammer with round handles. Even with the nice knurl it will still rotate in your hand and require more effort to use than an oval handled hammer.

Come to think of it I will build that hammer with a proper handle

Josh
Josh Dork
3/7/10 9:47 p.m.
irish44j wrote: Anyhow, just seems silly. There are alot of products/services out there that people could do themselves. Doesn't mean that said products/services are "stupid" or "ripoffs" necessarily.

I don't think it's stupid or a ripoff, so I'm not sure why that's in quotes. I just don't see it being up the alley of a lot of people here. It's an extremely expensive, finely finished, precision machined hammer, after all. There are a lot of tools where I need that sort of precision, but a hammer is generally not one of them. So what is it then, an example of fine engineering? An art object?

irish44j
irish44j Reader
3/7/10 10:00 p.m.
Josh wrote:
irish44j wrote: Anyhow, just seems silly. There are alot of products/services out there that people could do themselves. Doesn't mean that said products/services are "stupid" or "ripoffs" necessarily.
I don't think it's stupid or a ripoff, so I'm not sure why that's in quotes. I just don't see it being up the alley of a lot of people here. It's an extremely expensive, finely finished, precision machined *hammer*, after all. There are a lot of tools where I need that sort of precision, but a hammer is generally not one of them. So what is it then, an example of fine engineering? An art object?

I'd totally agree that it's not something that most people HERE would need....but it's not posted for sale here, it's posted on some tool forum where people maybe like fancy tools or something. A Bentley isn't really up the alley of a lot of people here either, and is an extremely expensive, finely finished, precision machine that is, when it comes down to it, runs the 1/4-mile about as fast as a turbo'd civic.

I prefer BFH's, personally. I was actually using a 7lb chopping maul (blunt end) to do some "car modifying" today (don't ask) :D

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
3/8/10 4:56 a.m.
irish44j wrote:
Josh wrote:
I don't think it's stupid or a ripoff, so I'm not sure why that's in quotes. I just don't see it being up the alley of a lot of people here. It's an extremely expensive, finely finished, precision machined *hammer*, after all. There are a lot of tools where I need that sort of precision, but a hammer is generally not one of them. So what is it then, an example of fine engineering? An art object?
I'd totally agree that it's not something that most people HERE would need....but it's not posted for sale here, it's posted on some tool forum where people maybe like fancy tools or something. A Bentley isn't really up the alley of a lot of people here either, and is an extremely expensive, finely finished, precision machine that is, when it comes down to it, runs the 1/4-mile about as fast as a turbo'd civic. I prefer BFH's, personally. I was actually using a 7lb chopping maul (blunt end) to do some "car modifying" today (don't ask) :D

I think that damn thing is stupid with a stupid price tag. For 2 years at school, I taught frat boys to make very similar hammers. If frat boys can do it... Anyone can.

TJ
TJ Dork
3/8/10 7:24 a.m.

I have a hammer I found in the woods when I was 5 or 6. It is a regular claw hammer, rusty with a slightly bent handle. I still have it. It still hits just fine. I can appreciate the craftmanship that went into the hammer and if people are willing to pay him to make them than more power to the guy.

My discarded, rusty, bent handled hammer still hits the same and it was free and I've owned it for over 30 years.

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/8/10 7:32 a.m.

There is a lot of misinformation in this thread.

TJ what you have is a hammer, what the original post refers to is a "Field Operated Impact Generator" a F.O.I.G. is much more expensive because it is shiny and will only be used by someone who drives his F430 with authentic Ferrari gloves.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
3/8/10 7:57 a.m.

Some people think it's crazy to spend $400 on a set of tires that you can't use on the street, and that can wear out in one good weekend.

Weird.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
3/8/10 8:16 a.m.

My favorite hammer

and this too are my 2 favorite tools. Partly for shear usefullness, and because my father got them for me for my 18th B-day.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/8/10 10:09 a.m.

I've used these hammers and they are nicely made, and work well:

www.AmericanHammer.com

They have also advertised with CMS/ GRM, and cared enough about our market to attend the Mitty last year.

Besides, they are made in Rockford IL. Anything made in the hometown of Cheap Trick is bound to be good!

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
3/8/10 10:40 a.m.

I thought he meant this:

A pretty decent movie actually...

ultraclyde
ultraclyde Reader
3/8/10 2:21 p.m.

If it's bigger than a breadbox - hit it with a 3lb hand sledge ($15) If it's smaller than a breadbox, hit it with a 12oz ball-peen ($9.99). If you want to turn one into the other, 8lb splitting maul.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 SuperDork
3/8/10 2:26 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: AMG Hammer

UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF UNF

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
3/8/10 3:06 p.m.

I got the Crapsman version with four interchangeable heads for $15 on sale. It seems to perform the intended functions adequately.

kurtz
kurtz New Reader
3/8/10 4:13 p.m.
bludroptop wrote: I got the Crapsman version with four interchangeable heads for $15 on sale. It seems to perform the intended functions adequately.

Also made in the USA for 1 tenth the price!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
0Pd9zfL3G1iNDQ9dGN47LMkIbypiuYHyelaM9Vj2L1eaVM7tdML9860d5FgOim1b