ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/30/12 11:57 a.m.

The seller was able to deliver

1965 Honda S600 being delivered

The builder had fit a Chevrolet V8 engine with triple carbs and a Ford 9″ rear axle when in high school back in 1977 or so. It looks like there wasn’t even room for a radiator so he didn’t fit one. I guess you could get away with that if you only used it on short trips. Jerry can for a tank. It would have been a bit of a death trap though as he tossed in this seat and a milk crate without bolting them down in anyway and it had the holes in the floor!

The seat

So I’ve got some cleaning to do obviously to see what I’m working with. The floors and trunk are mostly gone but oddly the actual body is very solid so far. Probably left in long, wet grass for a while. Some old beer bottles plus an old generator - probably not worth anything.

Beer bottles in the trunk

here is a fun size comparison.

Size comparision - Honda S600 vs Bike

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/30/12 11:59 a.m.

For some reason this car looks like a full-size version of nearly every modified slot car I've ever seen (especially the old Thunderjets).

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/30/12 12:04 p.m.

shame to see what was such a pretty car hacked up like that

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/30/12 12:14 p.m.

Remember, it's safer to get thrown out in a crash.

Luke
Luke UberDork
5/30/12 12:24 p.m.

Gruesome .

One redeeming feature of the past hack-job mods is that little "speedster" windscreen, which is kinda neat.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi HalfDork
5/30/12 6:49 p.m.

There's one for sale where I live but the guy wants 8000 for it and it needs everything. I like yours better!

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
5/30/12 8:43 p.m.

What are your plans for it?

Bryce

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
5/30/12 9:44 p.m.
Luke wrote: Gruesome . One redeeming feature of the past hack-job mods is that little "speedster" windscreen, which is kinda neat.

That looks like it was taken from a 1960's 14' boat.

OP, It is a project with a lot of possibilities and no matter what you do with it, noone can really claim that you messed up a classic. You can always blame that on the PO.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/30/12 11:54 p.m.

My plans? Probably toss in a simple rwd/4cyl drivetrain, give it some floors that sort of thing. Maybe a rwd Corolla, Chevette, etc. We'll see how it goes.

I took off the nasty hood blister tonight. I think it looks better. I realized the previous guy welded the rear right to the frame - no rear suspension what so ever - must have been a real handful. Looks like my Triumph Spitfire gas tank will work with the loss of some trunk space. My Datsun 210 radiator will not - too tall.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/31/12 12:16 a.m.

will miata suspension/drivetrain fit under it?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/31/12 10:13 a.m.

would be pretty baller if you could stuff a F20C under there...

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
5/31/12 10:54 a.m.

There is a guy who made a Miata fit. He couldn't use the the subframe as is - too wide. Width is just over 50" at the rear.

The F20C does fit - others have done it. Doesn't fit my budget though.

here is our progress from yesterday. Mostly cleaning but still. My oldest boy helped out and I taught him how to drill out pop rivets. He also cleaned the windshield and fiberglass seat. I took out a whole yard bag full of dirt and plant debris from the interior.

The builder was fond of wood for making body panels. These were the "structural" ones holding up the plywood. It is gone to the trash now.

Even better there was stiff carpet acting as the trunk floor!

What was left of the steering wheel. There is several interesting articles online on how to make the wood ring. I might attempt it - we'll see as it looks like a lot of work.

here is one - http://www.mgexperience.net/article/diy-wood-steering-wheel-1.html

The trunk lid as well as many of the wood body panels. Some old beer bottles as well. There is an old Chevrolet generator tucked in there too.

Sorry for the poor photo. I've got the hood blister off. The stock hood was cut then bent upwards to hold the blister one.

I intend to fix and but will wait until I have my engine in as it may need a smaller and nicer blister. Does it look better or worse with it gone? :)

Hood blister removed

Check out the rear non-suspension - yes - just welded solid to the frame. With this + short wheelbase + Chevy V8 = wild ride back in the day! Definitely going to rework this.

rear diff

dculberson
dculberson Dork
5/31/12 10:59 a.m.

It looks way better without the hood blister.

That hard-mounted rear end is amazing. I have never seen a car with no rear suspension.

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/31/12 11:53 a.m.
Nashco wrote: What are your plans for it? Bryce

Why do I picture you sitting behind your computer screen, sqeezing your hands, with a very scary laugh?

From you, Bryce, that's a very interesting question I would ask you.

some kind of FWD hybrid, RWD trans axle project, maybe?

alfadriver
alfadriver UberDork
5/31/12 11:55 a.m.

Oh, and powertrain wise- the recent showing on Top Gear UK theme- what about a motorcycle motor matched up to a RWD trans? Like the "Morgan" trike that Hammond had? That would be pretty darned appropriate....

Nashco
Nashco UltraDork
5/31/12 2:06 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Why do I picture you sitting behind your computer screen, sqeezing your hands, with a very scary laugh?

Who....me...? I...um....noooooooo.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
5/31/12 2:17 p.m.
Nashco wrote: Who....me...? I...um....noooooooo.

ScottRA21
ScottRA21 Reader
5/31/12 2:22 p.m.

Why are you guys calling that "thing" from the hood, a "blister"?

There was nothing "blister" like about it, that looked more like a full on malignant tumor! Thank you for getting rid of it!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
5/31/12 2:24 p.m.

Ahem.

EFI 13B up front.

944 transaxle in the rear.

Miata uprights and brakes all around.

Urine resistant paint in the floor pans.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/31/12 3:33 p.m.
dculberson wrote: That hard-mounted rear end is amazing. I have never seen a car with no rear suspension.

Go to a drag strip and look at all the dragsters and funny cars

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/31/12 3:46 p.m.

What in the....

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
5/31/12 3:46 p.m.

What in the....

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/31/12 3:50 p.m.

That would be AWESOME with a Honda bike engine. A CBR600 mill would be quite fitting...though a VFR V4 would be too cool.

Also, it does look a lot better without the blister.

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
6/1/12 9:16 a.m.

Not much time last night but the boy and I got car on jack stands and wheels off. There was a air pipe added to the front drums to deliver air in an attempt to cool them better I guess.

Front drum brakes - stock Honda S600. Rather stylish looking for drums.

Front drum brakes

The rear - I may have to modify the rear frame to add some clearance for suspension. It will be a crap job to get this axle separated from the frame.

Rear drum brakes

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vyuIXdiLniZ29pkYsJVWLQbueAQ857OdviDpuAu7T63hTRqOif6dofxc8xdna7hs