1 2 3
Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/12 11:52 a.m.
93EXCivic wrote: Why does it matter?

It doesn't (to us, at least if we don't own Datsun stock). It's about cars and it's funny.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/12 11:53 a.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
Raze wrote: That's because Audis have prettier 'style lights' in their headlights than other manufacturers. I kid you not a guy I work with ditched his 3-series for an S-4 and said the headlights were better and the DSG lets him paddle shift like a Ferrari...
There's a guy I pass on the road who simply put flexilight in his AE101 Corolla's headlight housings to make Audi-style eyelashes... Grassroots ingenuity wins again!

That is hilariously awesome!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
12/18/12 11:59 a.m.

meh

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
12/18/12 12:08 p.m.

The only one of those I'm surprised about is the G-series. I thought Infiniti had invested a good bit of time/effort and been at least somewhat successful in creating brand identity for the G-series coupe and sedan.

That could just be my bias, though, as G-series are the only Infitnitis I would ever consider owning.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/18/12 12:13 p.m.

Yeah I probably would have kept the G for Cars and QX for SUV's. Am wondering how Audi's Lawsuit will go for this one.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/18/12 1:46 p.m.

the g series was called the skyline everywhere else, a name already a worldwide brand on its own. A cool name. Yeah, i got a new skyline.

Nah, I got a new G37. wait, q3089qq?

alphabet poop.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
12/18/12 1:54 p.m.

IIRC, even Mazda tried to get in on the act of switching well established nameplates to alphanumeric. Didn't they try to eliminiate the "Miata" name with the introduction of the NC? They tried to only use the MX-5 name.

andrave
andrave Dork
12/18/12 2:11 p.m.

I feel like every manufacturer has toyed with it... even ford had the focus zx-5 or whatever the hell they were called... never understood why the alphanumeric stuff is supposed to connotate luxury, any more than initials signal performance. WS6, SVT, GTR, whatever... don't get it. I like the aftermarket performance packages better, "sledgehamer," "super snake," all that E36 M3. actually sounds like its badass.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter UltraDork
12/18/12 2:13 p.m.

In reply to Klayfish:

I think Mazda is one of the few car companies that's doing branding right. When you drive a Ford, there's no brand propagation in the name. You drive a Mustang, a Fusion, a Focus, an Explorer... not a "Ford".. But with Mazda, at least with their cars, they've successfully made the company the brand. You drive a Mazda3, a Mazda5, a Mazdaspeed2 (or will when you get around to making it!).

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/18/12 2:20 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: IIRC, even Mazda tried to get in on the act of switching well established nameplates to alphanumeric. Didn't they try to eliminiate the "Miata" name with the introduction of the NC? They tried to only use the MX-5 name.

Well, the Miata had always had MX-5 on the badge, and was MX-5 only in Europe since it first came out.

But yeah, if you spend 15 years creating a successful brand, DON'T THROW IT AWAY. Duh.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
12/18/12 2:43 p.m.
Javelin wrote:
z31maniac wrote: Another hilarious example of stuff that gets you riled up.
Riled up? Where do you people come up with this stuff? It's *funny*! For cripes sake people, lighten up and laugh!

Oh, it is?

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
12/18/12 2:45 p.m.
kreb wrote: I liked the old Q better:

Absolutely!!!! Not the original "Q" but in my book the best "Q"

Deserves a re post

Stealthtercel
Stealthtercel HalfDork
12/18/12 3:31 p.m.

If I were on the Nissan board of directors (oddly, Mr. Ghosn hasn't called yet), I would ask somebody from the genius-filled marketing department to calculate how much money the company had spent establishing G and M as model "names," and then ask my fellow directors if they were comfortable considering that sum officially pissed away.

Not to mention the loyal owner base, who are going to feel obsolete and unimportant to the company's future because that's what we're telling them about their cars. (Chrysler used to be really bad for that: the fact that the Neon actually made it to a second generation with the same name was big news at the time.)

Then maybe we could invite a guest speaker from Acura in, to give us a quick recap of everything that went right for that company when they ditched "Integra" and "Legend" like last week's fish and moved on to the bright new world of meaningless letter combinations.

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
12/18/12 3:38 p.m.

Well, they are French now...

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/18/12 4:02 p.m.

they all want to be Audi, BMW, and M-B. And really.. BMW and M-B were the ones to really get this trend rolling downhill.

Don't get me started on the "new" BMW naming system...

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand Reader
12/19/12 2:33 p.m.

I suspect they did the new naming to remove the engine sizes from the names. They probably want more flexibility with smaller engines. No one will buy a 4cyl G16 instead of a G35. But keep the name as Q60 and no one knows you bought the less expensive engine.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
12/19/12 2:39 p.m.
Klayfish wrote: IIRC, even Mazda tried to get in on the act of switching well established nameplates to alphanumeric. Didn't they try to eliminiate the "Miata" name with the introduction of the NC? They tried to only use the MX-5 name.

My NB Miata has no "Miata" badges. Just MX-5.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
12/19/12 2:43 p.m.

I'm an Infiniti tech, and this is the first I've heard of this. Will have to look into it when I get back from vacation. I guess I don't really care...I think most Infiniti's are dumb anyway, I just think it's funny that they are using the letter of my least favorite one, the QX56! Man, I need to get out of the car business, things are getting retarded...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
12/19/12 2:49 p.m.

It is as if someone told me they changed the name of the TV show Cougar Town.

So far off my radar that I am puzzled anyone took the time to notice.

sethmeister4
sethmeister4 Reader
12/19/12 5:07 p.m.
sethmeister4 wrote: I'm an Infiniti tech, and this is the first I've heard of this. Will have to look into it when I get back from vacation. I guess I don't really care...I think most Infiniti's are dumb anyway, I just think it's funny that they are using the letter of my least favorite one, the QX56! Man, I need to get out of the car business, things are getting retarded...

EDIT: I just realized that saying "I'm an Infiniti tech..." came across as if I am bragging. Believe me, I am not.

slopecarver
slopecarver New Reader
12/19/12 5:54 p.m.

I shall from now on call infinities "quartermasters"

fyi Q in bond stands for quartermaster

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
12/19/12 6:17 p.m.

At least Volvo's naming system still makes sense.

C- coupe
S - Sedan
V -Varient or wagon
XC- Cross Country

and then the numbers give you the "size" of the car

irish44j
irish44j UltraDork
12/19/12 6:54 p.m.

I love how the former G sedan is now badged as a "lower" model than the coupe/vert...lame.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
12/20/12 2:14 a.m.
andrave wrote: I feel like every manufacturer has toyed with it... even ford had the focus zx-5 or whatever the hell they were called... never understood why the alphanumeric stuff is supposed to connotate luxury, any more than initials signal performance. WS6, SVT, GTR, whatever... don't get it. I like the aftermarket performance packages better, "sledgehamer," "super snake," all that E36 M3. actually sounds like its badass.

Partly because sex sells! Think of all of the alpha-numeric models of vehicles: SVX, NSX, MX5, STX, just to name a few with X's. It goes on and on! Kind of disgusting really, but brilliant at the same time. Shoot, even the origin of THX is meant to sound like sex (THX 1138).

-Hamid

szeis4cookie
szeis4cookie Reader
12/20/12 7:13 a.m.

Relevant: http://autoblopnik.com/2012/12/19/de-nysschens-message-to-infiniti-fans-the-first-draft/

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tlqfZ4x6s8eQuQBRM2XUPySotXGoiLKA9cSygg8VMv1hOdIHNfC9zR419q6p1Cq8