1 2 3 4
Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 6:38 p.m.

After the first drive, the MG went back into the cave for some intensive fine-tuning. A new radiator (a smaller, more efficient design out of the FM science lab), fans, interior sound deadening, various lighting fixes, exhaust tips, etc. It emerged this weekend, registered and with a complete interior. Well, mostly complete. So I've been driving it, including a drive to work this morning.

The body isn't done yet although I did assemble the front end so it doesn't look quite so odd as before. So no comments on the lack of flares covering those wheels

What's it like to drive? It has nearly 400 hp and weighs around 2200 lbs, what do you think it's like? This is a quick, quick little car. It still needs an alignment (tomorrow morning) so I haven't pushed it in the corners much yet. But open the taps and the car just plain gets down to business. It seems to have inherited this behavior from the Camaro donor quite happily.

It's a small little car, very compact. The shift action is very tight, and the controls seem to be well matched in weighting. The steering doesn't have any self-centering at the moment, but we'll see what the alignment rack has to say about that. Feels like a lack of caster to me.

It's amazing how quickly it made the leap from a garage ornament to a driving car. It's not done - far from it - but you don't need as much imagination to see the potential anymore. I'm having a lot of fun doing small, non-essential things like swapping out mirrors. And lighting the rear tires on fire.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/30/10 6:41 p.m.

I still want one...

fastbmw
fastbmw New Reader
11/30/10 7:13 p.m.

All cars should be as cool as your MG.

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
11/30/10 7:14 p.m.

Uber cool - I can't wait to see this one in the metal. I expect it will be at the track in the spring.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
11/30/10 7:15 p.m.

SHOTGUN

eastsidemav
eastsidemav Reader
11/30/10 7:18 p.m.

Looks like 2200 lbs of pure awesome.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 7:18 p.m.

holy E36 M3 dude, whose house is that in the background?

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 7:20 p.m.

oh, BTW, nice vintage SBC emblem in the grille!

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 7:34 p.m.

This should be in Jalopnik.

oldtin
oldtin Dork
11/30/10 7:37 p.m.

Sweet - congrats. So that's what a complete interior looks like.

EricM
EricM Dork
11/30/10 7:44 p.m.

I just E36 M3 my pants

ZOO
ZOO GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/30/10 7:48 p.m.

I think MGB GTs are sexier than E-Types. E-Types always look too "tippy" to me, due to the narrow track.

There. I said it. I know you guys will understand.

Super car, Ketih -- I'm pretty excited for you.

RioRacer
RioRacer Dork
11/30/10 7:56 p.m.

Damn.....

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
11/30/10 7:58 p.m.

Very nice.

ansonivan
ansonivan HalfDork
11/30/10 8:04 p.m.
Keith wrote: ....lighting the rear tires on fire.

Video of this please

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 8:12 p.m.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
11/30/10 8:19 p.m.

Not nearly enough tire!

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 8:25 p.m.

I'd enjoy a car like that.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
11/30/10 8:28 p.m.

Wait, whut? Is that a rear seat in that thing?

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
11/30/10 8:44 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: Wait, whut? Is that a rear seat in that thing?

yup. another endearing feature of the GT

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/30/10 9:11 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: oh, BTW, nice vintage SBC emblem in the grille!

Glad someone caught that And the big ugly house is built behind the FM shop, we call it the Magic Kingdom. We have nothing to do with it.

Not enough tire: true. Certainly by modern standards. But I'm limited by my packaging somewhat, and it's not a race car. It's a ludicrous street car. I'm hoping to run a 205/50-15 R-comp on it eventually, but first I have two sets of 14" Azensiseses to murder.

Yes, the GT has the cutest little rear seat. And the seatback folds down, all 12" of it. It's hilarious.

The car's already been spotted by LSXTV, who listed it as an "LSX Oddity". Can't understand why Given the current redneck look of the exterior, I'm hoping to get the fender flares on before it attracts much more attention from someone like Jalopnik. Once the body is starting to show that I'm not a hack, I'll put together another video showing the car off some more. The flares could go on as early as tomorrow.

Had a little Lucas moment on the way home tonight as the engine and lights went into flicker mode for 10 seconds. To the Bat Troubleshooter, Robin!

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
11/30/10 9:16 p.m.

nice

Teqnyck
Teqnyck Reader
11/30/10 9:24 p.m.

I'm glad you pointed out the Azenis tires, when I was looking at those pics I was like "Hey, are those RT-215s?"

Luke
Luke SuperDork
11/30/10 9:39 p.m.

This is like the perfect swap. You've combined the best elements of three entirely different cars to create something awesome. Plus, the nancy purists can't whine, since the B came with a V8 at one point, anyway.

RealMiniDriver
RealMiniDriver Dork
11/30/10 10:01 p.m.

Dayum, that's wicked.

I've had similar thoughts about the trio of Bs (2 GTs and a 'vert) that my uncle has in the back of the shop, collecting dust.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
V7UbFPcYiRUbagHmKg6BL5DsRU7UmaK7HDRRwUoVq4gTSvgLc5omDd6tFiIZbB7J