Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/6/14 6:49 p.m.

So it's time once again to put new tires on my '04 Cooper S (205/45-17), and I've about narrowed it down to two choices: - Hankook Ventus S1 noble2, which comes out to about $530 installed at my local tirerack-authorized installer (counting the $60 rebate running right now) - Michelin Pilot Sport A/S 3, which came out to about $610 installed at the same shop (with the $70 rebate from Michelin) for the V-rated version (I'd have to put about 2-3k into the engine to even max out V-rated tires so W-rated tires are nothing but $13 extra that I don't need to spend)

I've heard fantastic things about both tires, both have about the same treadwear rating, the difference in speed ratings doesn't matter to me (the Hankooks are W-rated, the Michelins can also be had in W-rated but the V-rated ones are cheaper but otherwise identical), they both seem to perform about the same as-per the tirerack tests, and both tires won the tirerack tire shootouts they were included in, making the decision a bit more difficult. Anyone have experience with both? I can't decide if the Michelins are worth the extra ~$75 over the Hankooks but I've never seen a direct comparison between the two. If it helps my driving style alternates between "Targa Newfoundland special stage" and "85 year old grandma in a Buick" but charging on/off ramps and twisty roads is a pretty common theme in my operations of a motor vehicle

stumpmj
stumpmj Dork
5/7/14 8:55 a.m.

That's a small price premium to pay to get Michelins.

Duke
Duke UltimaDork
5/7/14 9:06 a.m.

I probably sound like a broken record, but check out comparisons on the Conti DWS as an all-season. I love 'em in all weather and conditions. Also, cue the guys who say you're an idiot if you don't have 2 sets of tires.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
5/7/14 9:16 a.m.
Duke wrote: I probably sound like a broken record, but check out comparisons on the Conti DWS as an all-season. I love 'em in all weather and conditions. Also, cue the guys who say you're an idiot if you don't 2 sets of tires.

Yes. This. I won't say idiot, but if you live in an area that gets good amounts of snowfall running two sets (summer and winter tires) you get the best performance in both poor conditions and perfect conditions.

bgkast
bgkast GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/7/14 10:40 a.m.

I liked Kumho 4Xs on my RX8. They even worked in mild snow, and gave good grip for spirited driving. They are just over half the price of the Michelins FWIW.

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
5/7/14 12:21 p.m.

All season tires are all-compromise.

1 set of summer tires, 1 set of winter tires. The initial investment is twice as much, but you'll be safer, and you can run them much longer.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/7/14 9:00 p.m.

I understand about all-seasons being a compromise, but the Richmond metro area isn't exactly a high-snowfall zone (we get one or two snowstorms of any significance each year and everyone freaks out, runs out to buy their milk sandwiches, and everything of any use decides to close, usually hours before the first flake leaves the clouds) so snow performance isn't a huge concern of mine. plus ~600 is a much easier pill to swallow than $600 for summer tires, plus an unknown price for 15-16" steelies to fit appropriate-diameter snow tires on that will only see use for maybe 7-10 days out of the year.

I probably should also look at the DWS, they're a few bucks cheaper per tire than the Michelins ($121 vs $126) but you can't spend the rebate they are offering (two free nights in participating Marriot hotels isn't exactly currency lol) so the overall installed price ends up being the highest of all the options I looked at. do you guys think the price of the contis or the Michelins is worth the extra money over the Hankooks or the Kumhos that bgkast mentioned?

jde
jde Reader
5/7/14 9:39 p.m.

Strictly $.02, since it's apples & oranges, but I put a set of A/S 3's on my '04 CTS-V last fall. Absolutely love them; they were actually decent in the snow this winter.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SkM8EQhV85QqALLb6ojW9NahsNQpf5ZRUIyZmMdxOS9YsIyEH6hBHhZHmBPyGZzc