1 2 3
GM > MG
GM > MG New Reader
8/8/22 12:51 a.m.

How many is too many - one.

I just sold my car, rotisserie, lift, engine stand, every part I collected for the project over the last several years. Even the  garage TV. I was lucky I bought well and got most of my $$$ back.

Old story, everybody knows this one well: my retirement project ended w/ a trip to the doctors office.

Sometimes just got to face that facts its not going to get done, pass the torch, let it go.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
8/8/22 5:23 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to darkbuddha :

Figure out which projects matter to you. If authorities came and told you mother nature was going to engulf your property and you had to evacuate and could only take one which one would it be? That's you're keeper.

Next is triage; after your keeper, number the rest in order of importance. 

The least important one will need to be sold on so you can have room to work.

After that's done start on the smallest/easiest one to finish. After that work your way through the rest.

It will take an entire weekend just to plan everything out.

It will take another weekend just to organize everything before you can actually get started.

Unless you're Jay Leno owning more than 3 hobby cars quickly becomes a burden. 

Thanks for the advice and list.  It helps.  It's kinda what I've been trying to do, but as you'll probably guess, it's not quite as easy as it might seem.  Prioritizing based on which matters to ME is fairly easy, but given that some of it is about people other than me (like my kids, or my father, or friends), it makes it a bit tougher, especially if adding in sentimental attachment.  Then there's the listing of things in order of importance, which often changes as different deadlines and opportunities come and go, like which gets priority for the upcoming GRM Challenge.  And prioritizing which is "smallest/easiest" is difficult when they've all reached a certain level of requirement: A LOT.  And we'll just ignore the hassles and responsibilities of maintaining the aging daily drivers in this equation, or that I've allowed other hobbies to interfere with cars; something I'm actively trying to rectify. Anyway, for all my self-serving excuses, I really do appreciate the reminder/reality check.  I turn 50 this year, and it occurs to me that if I don't start getting these projects sorted ASAP, it'll only get worse and never better.

One last thing: it's more like two hobby cars is a burden, 3 is borderline unmanageable, and more (like I have) is outright overwhelming.

Thanks again.

Tom1200
Tom1200 UberDork
8/8/22 10:21 p.m.

In reply to darkbuddha :

Trust me I know; I turn 60 this year. 

I sold my vintage motocross bike (running project) earlier this year becuase it was a distraction.

Note I consider my tow vehicle as a hobby car; if it weren't for the race cars I wouldn't have it.  

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/9/22 9:33 a.m.
Tom1200 said:

I have a friend who suffers from hoarding. It's one of the toughest mental health issues to overcome.

He gets such a high from buying the thing becuase the thing is gonna be so cool. That high wanes and so obviously he has to buy something else. He's got 40+ motorcyle projects that will never get finished.

The stuff owns him; even at fire sale prices he has 35-40K worth of stuff. If he sold it off he could buy several really cool bikes that would bring him so much joy on a daily basis (he retired this year). I sold him my YZ125 several years ago and every time he rides it he has a huge grin all day.  

He had some really m tough years so he bought the projects with the thought that when he got back on his feet he'd have them up and running but now he's over run with them.

It's an easy trap to fall into.

I chased that high for a long time and just dumped 20k of stuff at pretty close to fire sale prices in 5 months and bought one really good nice car that takes up way less room and brings me so much joy to drive. I'm dumping 2 more projects(one is a done project but always a project) very soon and am looking forward to seeing my space get cleaner and cleaner. I really need to pull the plug and dump my bike and 3 wheeler projects 

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
XjxASwOiTsex9XnzfWXHaZRguR8hDxjV5Pshxr55zhebpFDGPD5fAR4WMOY2Iy5M