1 2 3 4 ... 6
pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/31/11 10:01 a.m.

Is this different from the Smyth Performance thing using the VW TDi donor? I assume so since it's flying under a different banner but the timing makes me think it will be the same car. And that thing does not seem to be very similar to the Stratos.

Which is a shame because a Stratos replica sold in America by FF would be a really wonderful reason to get a car loan and piss away two years of my life in the garage...

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk HalfDork
1/31/11 10:42 a.m.

EvanB,
If you want a Renault R5 TurboII, there's one for sale on Detroit Criagslist. A kit will cost as much ,or more to complete than the $17K asking price.
I vote for a Lancia replica.

Ian F
Ian F SuperDork
1/31/11 10:49 a.m.
pres589 wrote: Is this different from the Smyth Performance thing using the VW TDi donor?

I was wondering the same thing... thinking that maybe an off-hand discussion got blown out of proportions... That said, I've been under the impression the Smyth Performance TDI kit will not really be linked to FFR.

I don't think there could be any way the two projects could be related since the TDI kit uses the Mk IV donor as the basic floor pan as well as the dash.

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/31/11 12:27 p.m.
pres589 wrote: Is this different from the Smyth Performance thing using the VW TDi donor? I assume so since it's flying under a different banner but the timing makes me think it will be the same car. And that thing does not seem to be very similar to the Stratos. Which is a shame because a Stratos replica sold in America by FF would be a really wonderful reason to get a car loan and piss away two years of my life in the garage...

It is different. In fact, the first place I heard about the new FFR announcement was not in Automobile magazine, but in a post by Mark Smith (developer of the Smyth G3F) on his 100+ page thread on the G3F. He posted:

If you have seen the new issue of automobile magazine you now know that the next ffr is an ultralight subaru powered car..now you see the impetus for the vw car slanted toward comfort and daily driver stock reliablity...jim's idea on the subie car is just awesome. I share no more than you can read in automobile.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed HalfDork
1/31/11 12:41 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: can you imagine an 037 with the soundtrack of a well built Subaru flat 4?
If I ever own a car that looks like this: I don't want it to sound like a tractor. The Subaru sound is ok for Subarus, but it sounds very agricultural to me.

To each his own but IMO a Subie flat four (WRX/STI) at full song is one of lifes great symphonies.

sachilles
sachilles Dork
1/31/11 1:30 p.m.
madpanda wrote: Oooh, Do you guys think it would be possible to get around the insurance issues and make this eligible for stage rally I would even be happy with a FF5 Stratos Spec Rally Cross class :D

Not so much insurance being the problem, it's classification amongst the north american rally organizations. Without it being a production car, I don't think they'd let you run it.

dyintorace
1/31/11 1:34 p.m.
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to T.J.: Equal length headers change the tone quite a bit.

Wow! I've never heard one with equal length headers. That is a great engine note!

YouTube video of WRX with equal length headers and exhaust

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/11 1:47 p.m.

This is great news, I love FFR's (and Smythperformance's) offerings! Been to the Open House a few times, they put on a great event...

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
1/31/11 1:55 p.m.

Didn't even get to the second line and was already thinking, "Stratos?"

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg GRM+ Memberand Reader
1/31/11 3:36 p.m.

Alpine A110? could be interesting... just speculation of course, but still...

RexSeven
RexSeven Dork
1/31/11 3:42 p.m.

Hmm, FFR is only 1 1/2 hour away from my house... and I'm free on Feb. 12...

Now, if only I can wake up in time. Working 2nd shift wreaks havoc on my sleep cycle.

NGTD
NGTD HalfDork
1/31/11 3:42 p.m.
sachilles wrote:
madpanda wrote: Oooh, Do you guys think it would be possible to get around the insurance issues and make this eligible for stage rally I would even be happy with a FF5 Stratos Spec Rally Cross class :D
Not so much insurance being the problem, it's classification amongst the north american rally organizations. Without it being a production car, I don't think they'd let you run it.

Under current rules you are correct - it would not be allowed to run. It also would not be allowed if the body is made of something except metal.

NOHOME
NOHOME Reader
1/31/11 4:16 p.m.

So, does this mean the G3F is not going to happen?

LJD
LJD New Reader
1/31/11 4:20 p.m.

I'm glad I wasn't the only who got extremely excited about this little snippet of information that Dyer teased us with. The short length (only 2 cylinders long) of the subie turbo-flat-4 is ideal for a longitudinally mounted, mid-engine platform. 914 owners have known this for years. I just hope the styling is 904-sexy, rather than 914-fugly.

Nitroracer
Nitroracer SuperDork
1/31/11 4:37 p.m.

Finally a use for all those cheap legacy and loyale models. lol

Actually this sounds like an awesome kit, they've already done some amazing work with the fords/shelby.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
1/31/11 4:42 p.m.
Tom Heath wrote: I'd probably still rather have the Hot Rod kit though. I love those things.

+100 I love those things

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IwN66i7Pi5w

T.J.
T.J. SuperDork
1/31/11 5:53 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
MrJoshua wrote: In reply to T.J.: Equal length headers change the tone quite a bit.
Wow! I've never heard one with equal length headers. That is a great engine note! YouTube video of WRX with equal length headers and exhaust

Sounds more like a regular car. Less Subarooey. At least the stock sound is very distinctive.

PHeller
PHeller Dork
1/31/11 6:03 p.m.
imirk
imirk New Reader
1/31/11 6:14 p.m.
T.J. wrote:
dyintorace wrote:
Wow! I've never heard one with equal length headers. That is a great engine note! YouTube video of WRX with equal length headers and exhaust
Sounds more like a regular car. Less Subarooey. At least the stock sound is very distinctive.

Heh, Subie makes a Compromise (a common one at that) in the name of manufacturing, price and packaging. And people attribute it to the "character" of the car. Just look at all the people telling him he made his car sound like a honda.

dyintorace
1/31/11 6:28 p.m.
NOHOME wrote: So, does this mean the G3F is not going to happen?

On the contrary. Mark is wrapping up the Alpha car and is going to have an open house at his shop this weekend and next. Evidently he is near both FFR and Local Motors. You can follow his work either on Facebook or on the forums at FFcars.com.

The first beta kit should ship at some point in February.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/31/11 7:39 p.m.

Not sure anyone could get away with a Stratos kit car-without being sued.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand New Reader
1/31/11 7:55 p.m.

In reply to carguy123:

http://www.hawkcars.co.uk/hf3000/index.html

They drove one on Top Gear a while back, though I don't think they were terribly impressed. But there it is, a Stratos replica.

Ah, the TG clip: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CtH9tU0kE5c

kb58
kb58 Reader
1/31/11 8:42 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Not sure anyone could get away with a Stratos kit car-without being sued.

Agreed, especially if they use the same name. And since the original mfg is still around, doesn't seem like a good idea. They'll probably change the name slightly to something lame that everyone knows what it copied.

vazbmw
vazbmw Reader
1/31/11 8:49 p.m.
dyintorace wrote: ...lumn in Automobile Magazine, the author visited FFR and gleaned that the next FFR car will be mid-engined, less than 2000 lbs, and Subaru WRX donor-based. He then speculated that it might be Lancia Stratos-like in appearance....

I swear I will buy this thing if they are real

Hasbro
Hasbro HalfDork
2/1/11 12:35 a.m.
T.J. wrote:
Slyp_Dawg wrote: can you imagine an 037 with the soundtrack of a well built Subaru flat 4?
If I ever own a car that looks like this: I don't want it to sound like a tractor. The Subaru sound is ok for Subarus, but it sounds very agricultural to me.

Agreed but I'm beginning to sound like a broken record in favor of a K24 variant for middies. But I could "settle" for a Subie.

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3uYEsBKJXpI5ZHdSqvUACpuzOyEzsa5twUpJHNFn0KQcPZNPasQh9TU3y3peoLBo