1 2 3 ... 11
Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
6/26/14 10:34 a.m.

Have a question about the rules, the event, or anything else? Feel free to post here. A member of the staff will answer your question as soon as possible.

Tom Suddard
6/26/14 10:34 a.m.

Here's a link to the current rules:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/extra/2014-challenge-rules/

And here's a link to the event page:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2014-challenge/

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
6/26/14 1:44 p.m.

Thanks Tom.

t25torx
t25torx HalfDork
6/26/14 3:08 p.m.

Cool thanks Tom, I didn't see one of these yet, hence the Zombie thread.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
7/2/14 12:25 p.m.

I know that there was a NASCAR-esque truck last year with some sort of circle track chassis under it. What is the ruling on such things going forward? i.e. can I drop a body on a racecar chassis and compete with it, or is that too far from "mass produced"?

Where is the line drawn? Does the race chassis have to be based on a road car? What if I add a (hacked up) road car unibody and integrate it into the race chassis?

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
7/3/14 8:47 a.m.

In reply to NONACK:

This one will need to be discussed further. If you refer to the Challenge issue of GRM (April 2014) page 74 discusses the truck you are speaking of. I think based on that you have a point. I would just like to run this by the brian trust here and will get back with you shortly.

NONACK
NONACK HalfDork
7/3/14 9:15 a.m.

In reply to Rick Goolsby:

Thanks, I appreciate the quick response- I have a line on something related to such a plan and don't want to pull the trigger if it won't be allowed to run. I have read about the truck, and understand the "heavily modified G-body" angle, but wondered what the official ruling is.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
7/6/14 6:52 p.m.

looking at the rules, cages are now part of the budget? I think that I can still do it...

I'm now worried that a group of competitors that break down will turn into a disruptive flash mob of transvestites... Can't make it this year, but if budgeting works out, I will have a Miata based creation one of these years.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
7/7/14 6:31 a.m.

Canoe in the official thread

NONACK
NONACK Reader
7/11/14 9:57 a.m.

So, has there been a ruling?

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
7/14/14 3:58 p.m.

two kegs on friday ? and post friday night buffett menu

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
7/15/14 9:53 a.m.

Planning on attending as a newbie, what time does everything kick off on Friday?

Or at what point is a more detailed agenda available? If I am blind just point me in the right direction!!

Thanks, Dan

Tom Suddard
7/15/14 11:57 a.m.

In reply to NONACK:

Yes, we'll decide on a case-by-case basis. Email Rick@grassrootsmotorsports.com to get approved.

Tom Suddard
7/15/14 11:58 a.m.

In reply to dankimber:

A detailed agenda is coming, but for now I'll just say that things start early on Friday. Gates usually open at 7 or 8am, IIRC. I'll get Rick to give you a real answer.

Rick Goolsby
7/15/14 12:30 p.m.

In reply to NONACK:

The answer is yes.

Rick Goolsby
7/15/14 12:32 p.m.

In reply to dankimber:

Gates will open at 8:00 AM on Friday. Registration usually starts at 9:00 AM.

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
7/15/14 2:09 p.m.

Thanks needed to line up some vacation time.

WilberM3
WilberM3 Dork
7/16/14 7:12 a.m.
dankimber wrote: Thanks needed to line up some vacation time.

the REAL start of the event is Thursday afternoon/evening when we all flood the Best Western hotel parking lot like a swarm of locusts.

dankimber
dankimber New Reader
7/19/14 5:55 p.m.

Am I obligated to bring some locally brewed beverages?

Cool_Hand_Luke
Cool_Hand_Luke Reader
7/20/14 7:04 p.m.

Not so much a question about rules, but can we invite Bill Caswell to the event? Who's that guy???

He's done building beater racecars for now and is devoting more time to his racing news outlet Build Race Party. I messaged him on facebook and he said he didn't know if the magazine would be ok with him shooting for another news outlet at a GRM event.

I think it would bring some great publicity for everyone, but I was interested as to what the staff would say. Bill just seems like a super cool gearhead. Hearing his story reminded me of everyone I met at the challenge last year.

Tom Suddard
7/22/14 9:28 a.m.

Bill's welcome, as is almost any other news outlet. More exposure for you guys and for the event is never a bad idea.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
7/28/14 6:05 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote: almost any other news outlet.

Almost? Long-standing feud with the local NBC Affiliate?

turboswede
turboswede GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
7/28/14 7:05 p.m.
unevolved wrote:
Tom Suddard wrote: almost any other news outlet.
Almost? Long-standing feud with the local NBC Affiliate?

I'm sure Bill would welcome any chance to pat himself on the back and bring his own brand of BS and chaos aka Build, Race, Party.

That said, he would be more interesting to watch on TopGear USA.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet SuperDork
7/28/14 7:32 p.m.

So, the real question at hand is...

Will there be a $2014 Cheap Beer Challenge? I missed it last year because we were too damn tired after the rainy Friday festivities, but I'm game this year. I did sample remnants of last year's illustrious event in the form of Aussie's "Little Kings" beers, and I want to see if anyone can do better!

Also, is it still cool to install turbos in the hotel parking lot?

unevolved
unevolved Dork
7/28/14 9:36 p.m.

I'm not familiar with that event. What are the rules?

1 2 3 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
J2QvpEYkZVZsIGUlEpcKdkOe0bjaUGtGf34QbR4anyIx0C5x48rxGFukySkQle4v