1 2 3 4 5 ... 11
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/22/14 2:22 p.m.

Free wiring scraps are free in budget as long as they are available free to anyone, not just a hookup that you have because you know a guy that knows a guy.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
8/24/14 8:09 p.m.

How do you assign a FMV to a car that's been sitting in your yard for many years, and is rare enough that you can't find any equivalent examples for sale?

Rick Goolsby
Rick Goolsby Events Manager
8/25/14 10:29 a.m.

In reply to JamesMcD:

I am going to assume that you have checked eBay Motors, AutoTrader, etc.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
8/25/14 12:29 p.m.

I've found a couple nice examples but none with rust holes in the rear strut towers big enough to stick your head through.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/25/14 1:06 p.m.

Scrap.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD Dork
8/25/14 8:35 p.m.

What SF1 says goes! Right?

This is not the only rust on the car. It's like this on both sides, and in the rockers. It has problems. Can I apply a $300 scrap value to this car? It's an '86 Mazda 626.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/26/14 9:40 a.m.

I know i wouldn't complain about it, and i doubt anyone else there would, either.

I also know the car you're talking about, and i doubt i'd pay you more than $100 for it, and bear in mind that nobody else likes old FWD Mazdas as much as you and I.

I paid $900 for my MX6, running, without rust holes you could stick your head through.

1/3rd that for a more obscure car with less support, less performance, a seized engine, and a ton of rust? I'd say that's being generous to the worth of your car.

moparman76_69
moparman76_69 SuperDork
8/26/14 9:55 a.m.

Wouldn't it be curb weight times price for scrap? Locally cars are 200 a ton scrap.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/26/14 10:09 a.m.
moparman76_69 wrote: Wouldn't it be curb weight times price for scrap? Locally cars are 200 a ton scrap.

Yeah. This car would probably be in the $220-$250 range if complete.

Rmon
Rmon New Reader
8/29/14 2:59 p.m.

So what is the rule on stock replacement parts? Do they count towards the budget?

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
8/29/14 3:15 p.m.
Rmon wrote: So what is the rule on stock replacement parts? Do they count towards the budget?

Yes, unless it's brakes, then no.

Karl La Follette
Karl La Follette UltraDork
8/30/14 2:45 p.m.

just came in today

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
9/4/14 9:37 a.m.
Swank Force One wrote:
Rmon wrote: So what is the rule on stock replacement parts? Do they count towards the budget?

True.

These safety items are budget-exempt: seat belt or harness; fire extinguisher; roll bar padding; wheel lugs, studs and bolts; and your first four tires. Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans. For example, original brake parts cannot be sold and then rebought to take advantage of this allowance.

Tom Suddard
9/4/14 9:38 a.m.
JamesMcD wrote: What SF1 says goes! Right? This is not the only rust on the car. It's like this on both sides, and in the rockers. It has problems. Can I apply a $300 scrap value to this car? It's an '86 Mazda 626.

Bring a few ads and the photos from this thread. $300 sounds good to me.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/14 9:49 a.m.
Tom Suddard wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
True. These safety items are budget-exempt: seat belt or harness; fire extinguisher; roll bar padding; wheel lugs, studs and bolts; and your first four tires. Brake friction materials, lines, calipers, master cylinders, rotors and drums may be replaced with fresh ones that are functional duplicates. The purpose of this rule is to allow for fresh brake components, not to allow for budget shenanigans. For example, original brake parts cannot be sold and then rebought to take advantage of this allowance.

Hold up...

The roll bar isn't exempt, but roll bar PADDING is?

Come on now.

Tom Suddard
9/4/14 3:38 p.m.

Well, we want everyone with a roll bar to have a safe roll bar.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
9/4/14 7:45 p.m.

You know what's safer than a roll bar? Not going fast enough to hit the point where you need a budget-hitting roll bar.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/4/14 7:56 p.m.

Does a harness bar count? I feel like it didn't back in 2009 since it adds no performance, and is only necessary for the harness (exempt).

Tom Suddard
9/5/14 3:40 p.m.

Harness bars count in budget, sorry. There are a few reasons for this:

1. They aren't terribly safe, so we don't want to encourage their use.
  2. They are cheap and easy to build.
  3. They can add stiffness if built correctly.
unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/5/14 3:49 p.m.

Womp womp. Guess we'll figure it out.

unevolved
unevolved Dork
9/15/14 8:42 a.m.

How do you guys account for parts purchased in bulk that you don't intend to use for the Challenge, but want to use post-Challenge? I want to come to the Challenge once with this car, then upgrade some stuff afterwards in future builds. If I buy a bunch of parts and there's some stuff I don't want to use for this Challenge build but fully intend on using in the future and really don't want to sell, can I subtract FMV from my budget?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
9/15/14 3:15 p.m.

I'm returning with last years car, how do I do the budget paperwork?

Clean sheet, or just show changes from last year? I've got about $300 to play with.

Rick Goolsby
9/16/14 1:10 p.m.

In reply to unevolved:

Just account for the parts you will be using for this year's build.

Rick Goolsby
9/16/14 1:12 p.m.

In reply to Gearheadotaku:

I don't think you need to reinvent the wheel so make a copy of last year's sheet and then show your additions.

dherr
dherr GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/17/14 7:37 p.m.

Rules question, I am bringing back my 2006-2007-2008 Challenge car for next year and before I start cutting wanted to clarify a few things. The biggest issue my previous challenge car had was a lack of rear suspension movement, thus lack of traction on the autocross. The fix for this is replacing the rear suspension with an independent rear suspension with a limited slip rear. Thanks to Andy Nelson, I was able to source one at a challenge friendly price and am now in the process of installing this in my chassis. Yes, it is much wider, so was my previous solution . The bigger issue is I need to fix the problem that the Spitfire has an 83" wheelbase and the NHRA rules call for an 85" wheelbase. So my plan is to modify the frame to fit the rear axle back two inches further in the chassis and do the same with the rear body section. So this will fix the wheelbase issue and give me added room for the larger rear suspension system. I will add two inches to the bonnet to address the body being mounted back two inches back. Any one see any issues with this plan?

1 2 3 4 5 ... 11

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
smDhduAl1IPmPJ8WlACsGEozoBen2U37tH6YrBDZZaRhJFl8ZndEoAyTAlkqFa4D