CharlesE
CharlesE New Reader
9/9/15 5:16 a.m.

Nice article on the Race of Champions in Wildwood New Jersey.

The Race of Champions

Kia_Racer
Kia_Racer Dork
9/9/15 5:25 a.m.

That sounds so cool if just a little bit dangerous. They should at least require a roll cage or at least a roof just in case something untoward happens

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/9/15 7:11 a.m.

Its actually the Race of Gentlemen, not champions. We've gone a few times, probably go again this year, loads of fun. The wife enjoys it so much I have an open permission to build a car for it if I can ever find an affordable starting point.

Not quite as dangerous as it may seem, going in a straight line on hard packed sand with vintage tires and all vintage machinery (no modern drivetrains allowed), no one is getting really big speeds. Even so it's about preserving the past and racing like it was done "in the day" to hell with safety.

I can't recall there having ever been an incident of any note.

fanfoy
fanfoy Dork
9/9/15 7:20 a.m.

In reply to JThw8:

Do you think my speedster would be allowed to run there? Assuming I ever get it done...build thread here

This seems really cool, but more hot rod oriented then my speedster will be.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/9/15 1:51 p.m.
fanfoy wrote: In reply to JThw8: Do you think my speedster would be allowed to run there? Assuming I ever get it done...build thread here This seems really cool, but more hot rod oriented then my speedster will be.

Off the top of my head I don't see why not. Their big thing is all vintage parts and configurations. No modern V8s or any modern suspensions and such. Build em like you could have build them in the 50s.

Pretty good group of guys if nothing else just to bring your speedster and cruise Wildwood for the weekend would be fun. Its more than just the racing, they pretty much take over the whole town for a few days, vintage cars cruising the streets, bands, parties, its a good time.

92dxman
92dxman Dork
9/11/15 2:29 p.m.

Looks cool until you see the ticket price

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
9/11/15 3:00 p.m.
92dxman wrote: Looks cool until you see the ticket price

Eh, dunno what that ticket is all about but Im guessing its for some after parties and private events. You can walk your ass down on the beach and watch the races for free. And the whole town is full of vintage car activity that weekend with no ticket needed.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe SuperDork
9/11/15 4:37 p.m.

My 28 Roadster will be there tearing up the sand with its owner again this year I have heard. That is a big bucket-list show for me.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
BSsY1fM7Qk1sT6UW8WNRqcyxVZ7d7e47Naa74gs22dXKiuQCZLIsR9x5jcjYeyWo