1 2 3 ... 6
Tim Suddard
Tim Suddard Publisher
4/8/15 6:42 a.m.

Since 1997 I have wanted a Boxster. I turned 55 last month and have decided I have waited long enough. I know, I know mid-life crisis and the old guy wants a Porsche. I have been studying and I know they have some issues, but it looks like you can get a nice early Boxster S for about $12,000. I talked to Ray Shaefer yesterday, who runs Brumos, and he said don't count an early 2.5 car out, as the lighter weight, non electric throttle cars are a lot of fun. Also, not sure I want to spend the money for a second generation car, but they are pretty damned nice too and good ones are in the mid twenties. It also looks like there are tons of nice, low mileage, club member owned and/or summer cars, so there is no reason to buy a high mileage, worn out rat. We have never done a Boxster project car. I am not thinking race car on this one, but mellow cruiser and occassional autocross and track car. What do you guys want to read about? Anyone have a line on the right car?

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave MegaDork
4/8/15 7:05 a.m.

I think these things are hitting the right value point for a pretty good GRM audience. Having spent a little time in a standard one, I think I'd have to spring the extra cash for an S. The chassis was great, but it REALLY wanted more power.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
4/8/15 7:12 a.m.

I second the "Get the S" for the same reason I always say "Get the M3" when we talk E36.

"I regret getting the sportiest model in the line up" is something that no has said, ever.

EDIT: Also, if you could spring for the 2014 Cayman instead - I guarantee you won't regret it. I did a couple laps around the Glen in one in the fall and I could not believe how brilliant that thing was.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/8/15 7:12 a.m.

I thought you already had a mid life crisis Porsche? Are you telling me that it's acceptable to have TWO mid life crisis Porsches? This changes everything.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing Dork
4/8/15 7:16 a.m.

How about a blown engine project done on the cheap?

spitfirebill
spitfirebill PowerDork
4/8/15 7:16 a.m.

Hit the easy button and let Ray Shaefer find you one.

4/8/15 7:19 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

Technically your wife has a mid-life crisis Porsche, leaving you free to get one of your own.

Sonic
Sonic SuperDork
4/8/15 7:22 a.m.

I'm also actively on the hunt for an early Boxster S, perfect timing to follow along with the project car! The plan for a nice cruiser that is autoX and track capable for occasional use sounds just about right.

Aside from Craigslist, where is a good place to look for these?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
4/8/15 7:37 a.m.

Buy the one M030 was talking about in his thread. Sounded like he had a whole bunch of goodies to go with it. 911 swap project would make a great series.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
4/8/15 7:55 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Technically your wife has a mid-life crisis Porsche, leaving you free to get one of your own.

This is true. I also really like the optimism that has 55 being a mid life crisis.

4/8/15 8:04 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

I'm doing mine on 5ths rather than halves. I'm taking 3/5s harder than I thought. One motorcycle might not be enough.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/15 8:20 a.m.

In reply to Sonic:

PCA.org marketplace, Rennlist forums, Pelican parts forums

You should get in touch with a PCA Club Racer about Spec Boxster racing before dismissing it as a future race car. With classes fields that average 10 to a class, nice contingency offerings and low cost consumables for the platform, it's something I'd consider.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/8/15 8:28 a.m.

Paging Adrian Thompson. Adrian Thompson, please pick up the red courtesy phone.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 8:48 a.m.
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: "I regret getting the sportiest model in the line up" is something that no one has said, ever.

I fully agree with the sentiment, but I have heard people gripe at autoxes about their cooper s's. Apparently they felt like the non-s was classed better in h-stock than the s was classed in d-stock or whatever, and therefore you usually had a better pax time with the non-s.

Dunno how true it was, but I have heard at least one person say "i'd rather have the non-s mini".

Maybe they had never tried to get a non-s mini to merge on the highway though...

Dashpot
Dashpot Reader
4/8/15 9:49 a.m.

I want to hear about your appetite for risk/IMS bearing failure. Face it head on or whistle past the graveyard?

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/8/15 10:02 a.m.

I'm getting a Vette for my mid-life crisis like most of the old guys and I'm hoping it will be by my mid-40s. Just don't tell my wife I plan to live to 120.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
4/8/15 10:08 a.m.
mazdeuce wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: In reply to mazdeuce: Technically your wife has a mid-life crisis Porsche, leaving you free to get one of your own.
This is true. I also really like the optimism that has 55 being a mid life crisis.

Yes. 110 might be a stretch! Any who. The Boxster is quickly becoming sort of the 2nd tier GRM favorite. The Miatas older and more sophisticated (expensive!) brother. And then there's the Cayman GT4! The rich uncle! Good luck in your search. I think about them often also. And thanks to you I am thinking about them right now!!

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
4/8/15 10:36 a.m.

I've been on and off searching for one for a couple of years, mainly an early S. I've looked at a few and love them, but the ones I've looked at were...well...questionable. So of course I say "S".

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
4/8/15 11:07 a.m.
Maybe they had never tried to get a non-s mini to merge on the highway though...

They run 16s in the 1/4 mile. Roughly as fast as a 1984 Camaro with a v8.

My first cars (and a couple of my current ones) had 0-60 and 1/4 mile times that were close to the same. I have lost a race to a loaded semi before.

As much as the Boxster S is a great car, as far as magazine content i wouldn't be any less interested if it was a base model.

chili_head
chili_head New Reader
4/8/15 11:13 a.m.
rcutclif wrote:
Giant Purple Snorklewacker wrote: "I regret getting the sportiest model in the line up" is something that no one has said, ever.
I fully agree with the sentiment, but I have heard people gripe at autoxes about their cooper s's. Apparently they felt like the non-s was classed better in h-stock than the s was classed in d-stock or whatever, and therefore you usually had a better pax time with the non-s. Dunno how true it was, but I have heard at least one person say "i'd rather have the non-s mini". Maybe they had never tried to get a non-s mini to merge on the highway though...

R50 MINI is wonderful. If you like having a good handling car with no power. I will take my MINI in R53 JCW, please.

Danny Shields
Danny Shields GRM+ Memberand New Reader
4/8/15 11:45 a.m.

In reply to Tim Suddard:

Do it! We bought our "986" Boxster S more than 11 years ago and have never regretted it. It cost way more than any car we had ever bought, but we love it! We also had a 987 Limited Edition for a year. It was really nice, probably better than the 986S in most every measurable way, but was never quite as endearing as the original. And I don't think you are a guy who wants to be going to the dealer to get his oil change warning reset.

As for the "mid-life" definition, our friend Billy G, who turns 96 next month, tells the story of accommodating his neighbor's request for a 110 mph ride in his Porsche, to celebrate the neighhbor's 101st birthday. I'm not sure if either of them acknowledges getting past adolescence, much less mid-life.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
4/8/15 11:58 a.m.

I've driven a few 986s and I agree with the "don't rule out an early 2.5 car" suggestion. I liked the 2.5 better that the later 986 S that I drove. Mind you, I still ended up with a 996 instead, and what a good decision that was.

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand Reader
4/8/15 12:20 p.m.

I was really, really let down by my 99 2.5... It was the only car I've ever gotten mad at auto crossing for the ridiculous, non-disableable traction control. It was also a complete let down in the snow. It was a very happy day when I switched into my Rx-8. It sounded great at about 6500 RPM, though!

I figured that everything I hated about that car (minus the traction control) could have been fixed for only about 10k, but I didn't want to invest that much to see if liked the car.

tl;dr: Get the S.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
4/8/15 12:38 p.m.

I have lots to say latter when not on a phone. Cliff notes do it or I cancel my subscription

edwardh80
edwardh80 Reader
4/8/15 1:42 p.m.

This one in St Augustine?

1 2 3 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
firLcFmzKvawDGGVOOFFmOmtV2WlAZhzKY0lLxEF1UTufJln1esOmhObtqgP4scK