1 2
accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
11/1/16 5:27 p.m.

Video

I didn't see it posted anywhere. Good video Keith!

I already wanted Fox shocks on my exocet, now even more so....

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/1/16 8:58 p.m.

That was a fun day. The best part was that I had to drive for miles to meet him, all on roads like that.

Yeah, Matt liked the car. That's pretty much our whole conversation, unedited.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/SLONL8ax9CI?rel=0

Mitchell
Mitchell UberDork
11/1/16 10:15 p.m.

Awesome video! I'm continuing to salivate over the Fox suspension for my NC... hoping to make the switch in the spring.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
11/1/16 10:16 p.m.

Cool car, the exhaust & intake noise sounds great, Matt still creeps me out.

dculberson
dculberson PowerDork
11/1/16 10:59 p.m.

Matt is a good guy.

red_stapler
red_stapler Dork
11/2/16 2:58 a.m.

I love how Matt can get excited about just about any kind of car he finds himself behind the wheel of.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/2/16 8:07 a.m.

Great video, I'm sure it will help in your sales efforts, too!

It's been a while since I've seen Matt get THAT excited about a car. You can tell he was very impressed. And he drives a TON of cars, so that's saying something.

Well done to Keith and the FM team.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 8:07 a.m.

While I absolutely love that car and the work that Keith does I just can't justify that kind of cash on a Miata. Minimum $70k buys a lot more car and leaves money for tires, entry fees and hotels.

Still, good vid and nice advertising for flyin miata.

Keith Tanner
11/2/16 9:12 a.m.

That's a common statement - but the guys buying them disagree. They can't think of another small, lightweight, nimble roadster with 500 hp for the price. I can't either. I suppose technically the Z06 is 1000 lbs more car, but I don't think that's what you meant If you pick one single parameter you can sometimes find a "better" car - such as lap times, or power after modifications - but you can't find one that is better all-round.

Part of the problem is that some people get fixated on the "Miata". But it's not. It's a car that shares the Miata's size and excellent chassis along with the modern interior, but the entire drivetrain is new and reengineered. It's a different car. And it's a new car with a warranty, not something that's been hammered by a PO.

The most recent order came from someone who has an Ariel Atom turbo and a Tesla P85D. He's tired of the Atom hassles on the road and he's planning on using the Miata on the track as well as for a daily driver.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
11/2/16 9:24 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: That's a common statement - but the guys buying them disagree. They can't think of another small, lightweight, nimble roadster with 500 hp for the price. I can't either. I suppose technically the Z06 is 1000 lbs more car, but I don't think that's what you meant If you pick one single parameter you can sometimes find a "better" car - such as lap times, or power after modifications - but you can't find one that is better all-round. Part of the problem is that some people get fixated on the "Miata". But it's not. It's a car that shares the Miata's size and excellent chassis along with the modern interior, but the entire drivetrain is new and reengineered. It's a different car. And it's a new car with a warranty, not something that's been hammered by a PO. The most recent order came from someone who has an Ariel Atom turbo and a Tesla P85D. He's tired of the Atom hassles on the road and he's planning on using the Miata on the track as well as for a daily driver.

I'm not doubting this at all. Just for me I'd rather have the vette or something similar. Part of that is the soft top, part of that is I'm a big guy. It's just a personal choice is all. Still think it's awesome.

NOHOME
NOHOME PowerDork
11/2/16 9:34 a.m.

"I cant afford it" ≠ "Expensive"

And the video is doing nothing for my Molvo budget as it pertains to the suspension component selection.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
11/2/16 10:27 a.m.

I feel as though Matt has a pretty tough job on the show. You're driving someone else's baby WITH them. You're trying to provide entertainment, information, imbue the passenger with a sense of calm and not wreck (a car foreign to you) simultaneously. Not easy. He's not my favorite E-Host, but I respect how he gets it done and enjoy his shows well enough.

Seriously drooling over the fox shocks on a daily basis. Hopefully the NA sells soon...

turtl631
turtl631 Reader
11/2/16 10:32 a.m.

Ugh, want. I'm a small car guy so I get the appeal. Most things this fast are pretty big. My C6Z is certainly selling me on the V8, and it's pretty light but still a larger car. GT3 or GT4 are a bit pricier still, and slower in a straight line. I'm sure it would take a good driver to crack off fast laps in a car with this power/weight/tire combination. It would be entertaining though! I'd want some real roll protection.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UberDork
11/2/16 10:34 a.m.

I posted this yesterday:

Flyin' Miata 520 HP LS3 Swapped 'ND' 2016 Mazda MX5 on Reddit . Good stuff.

calteg
calteg Dork
11/2/16 10:53 a.m.

So that's what Keith looks like.

kudos, that thing looks and sounds awesome. As soon as I have $70,000 laying around, Flyin Miata will be my first call.

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/2/16 10:56 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: The best part was that I had to drive for miles to meet him...

Wait, did you drive from CO to Los Angeles? We did that non-stop coming back from the Lotus meet years ago and I think it was around a 12-hr drive. Got pretty tiring

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/2/16 10:57 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote: He's tired of the Atom hassles on the road...

Due to the car's looks, wind buffeting, cops, or mechanical issues?

kb58
kb58 Dork
11/2/16 11:02 a.m.
accordionfolder wrote: I feel as though Matt has a pretty tough job on the show. You're driving someone else's baby WITH them. You're trying to provide entertainment, information, imbue the passenger with a sense of calm and not wreck (a car foreign to you) simultaneously. Not easy.

Plus, if there's something he doesn't like about the car; with the owner/builder right there how does he phrase it, or does he not say anything to maintain a positive spin on the program? A double-edged sword.

Keith Tanner
11/2/16 11:13 a.m.

Matt is willing to rip a car if he doesn't like it. He's done it. He really did like the Miata. We spent quite a bit of time hanging out.

I had the car in the area for other tests, so I didn't drive it out just for 15 minutes with Matt I'll be heading back that way in a couple of weeks for another round with the European press.

The registration bullE36 M3 is part of the problem with the Atom. I think it's registered in Montana, he lives in the east. They've also got substandard handling. I forget all the details, we mostly talked about the Miata when he visited.

Keith Tanner
11/2/16 3:23 p.m.

BTW, there is a considerable variation in driving skill amongst journalists. Matt's one of the good ones.

mtn
mtn MegaDork
11/2/16 3:38 p.m.

I'd always heard that the one reason not to do an LSx swap into a Miata is that a Corvette is already cheap and done.

But that doesn't help if the vette is too big, or not nimble enough. I get it. I want this. If I won the lottery, I'd probably have you guys make me one out of a Fiat.

Mazda787b
Mazda787b HalfDork
11/2/16 4:57 p.m.

I've met Matt, he really does get that excited about cars. Great guy to chat with.

The real question is: How could you NOT get excited about this car?

Shaun
Shaun HalfDork
11/2/16 6:39 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Keith Tanner wrote: That's a common statement - but the guys buying them disagree. They can't think of another small, lightweight, nimble roadster with 500 hp for the price. I can't either. I suppose technically the Z06 is 1000 lbs more car, but I don't think that's what you meant If you pick one single parameter you can sometimes find a "better" car - such as lap times, or power after modifications - but you can't find one that is better all-round. Part of the problem is that some people get fixated on the "Miata". But it's not. It's a car that shares the Miata's size and excellent chassis along with the modern interior, but the entire drivetrain is new and reengineered. It's a different car. And it's a new car with a warranty, not something that's been hammered by a PO. The most recent order came from someone who has an Ariel Atom turbo and a Tesla P85D. He's tired of the Atom hassles on the road and he's planning on using the Miata on the track as well as for a daily driver.
I'm not doubting this at all. Just for me I'd rather have the vette or something similar. Part of that is the soft top, part of that is I'm a big guy. It's just a personal choice is all. Still think it's awesome.

I've never seen two bigger guys in one car!! I'm guessing that's over 12' and nearly 500-550 lbs of (good looking, intelligent, nice, outstanding citizens) human motoring around in that well sorted warrantied hotrod. Might just be the camera angle?

Keith Tanner
11/2/16 8:18 p.m.

I'm about 5'10" and 220 :) Matt is bigger.

Carro Atrezzi
Carro Atrezzi GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/4/16 9:05 p.m.
Mazda787b wrote: I've met Matt, he really does get that excited about cars. Great guy to chat with. The real question is: How could you NOT get excited about this car?

He got so excited driving the Pursang Bugatti I thought he might loose it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
5C4ey4Vo0U9KVTAF1lOmbwNr1JELJLOXnTVcTTMEO8qn2liOkcM4LHerqyUx1Rta