Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Associate Editor
2/16/17 2:39 p.m.

In order to race cars in the U.S., participants almost always must wear a helmet carrying a Snell certification sticker. Before that approval can be assigned, the helmet must first pass a battery of tests. The big question to be answered: Will the helmet protect as intended?

If a helmet has received a Snell approval, look for a sticker inside, …

Read the rest of the story

trucke
trucke Dork
2/16/17 3:38 p.m.

That picture of the green helmet on the test stand reminds of today at work. I should have brought my helmet to the office!

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
2/16/17 3:46 p.m.

That's what I've been doing all day and it sucks! The newer helmets apparently have more padding around the neck and it almost requires ripping your ears off to get them on.

Plus apparently my head is rounder than most peoples so very few fit once you get them on.

Also the eye holes must be smaller because none of them played well with glasses.

I ended up finding an Arai, they have 3 different shapes interiors on theirs, and lucked into a store that was discontinuing the brand and got it for half price.

This is one item you definitely cannot buy online.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
2/17/17 5:14 a.m.

How long is SCCA permitting '05 helmets for autoX? By the time I can commit to a membership and a full season, I will need something new.

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/17/17 6:37 a.m.

Very good read Tom. Thanks for posting that!!

drdisque
drdisque HalfDork
2/17/17 8:13 p.m.

Snell 2005's will be legal for SCCA Autocross until the Snell 2020's are widely available, so at least through 2020.

jimbbski
jimbbski Dork
2/18/17 9:35 a.m.

I purchased a new helmet this winter. A Bell brand with a extra large eye port since I wear glasses.

Of course I always take them off when ever I put on or take off my helmet. That part is a bit of a pain but of well I don't like contacts and I have heard both good and bad things about Lasik eye surgery and despite the fact that both of my sisters had it over 10 years ago without issues.

I choose Bell because that's the brand that the last two helmets I bought were, I like the fit, the style, and the fact that the company has a plant in Rantoul, Illinois.

spitfire4gp
spitfire4gp New Reader
10/27/17 3:32 p.m.

I wear glasses and I learned a trick years ago (I think it may have come from Bobby Rahal, who favored big-lens aviator glasses) where I keep my glasses on as I don my helmet -- my problem was getting my glasses' bows between my ears and skull with the helmet on. Most people put their helmet on straight down from the top. I put the opening over my face, then rotate the helmet on. Works every time! :-) My last helmet (my third Simpson Bandit) I realized the chinpiece was deeper and at first the rotation didn't work ... until I opened my mouth and would "bite" the helmet -- which let it go just that little bit deeper so the rotation still worked. 

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand UberDork
10/27/17 4:00 p.m.
jimbbski said:

That part is a bit of a pain but of well I don't like contacts and I have heard both good and bad things about Lasik eye surgery and despite the fact that both of my sisters had it over 10 years ago without issues.

ICL is the answer, Lasik is scary.

m4ff3w
10/27/17 4:03 p.m.
carguy123 said:

That's what I've been doing all day and it sucks! The newer helmets apparently have more padding around the neck and it almost requires ripping your ears off to get them on.

Plus apparently my head is rounder than most peoples so very few fit once you get them on.

Also the eye holes must be smaller because none of them played well with glasses.

I ended up finding an Arai, they have 3 different shapes interiors on theirs, and lucked into a store that was discontinuing the brand and got it for half price.

I use a helmet liner from Heat Out, it covers my hears and makes putting my helmet on a billion times easier.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-helmet-liner

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
10/27/17 4:18 p.m.
m4ff3w said:
carguy123 said:

I use a helmet liner from Heat Out, it covers my hears and makes putting my helmet on a billion times easier.

https://www.cyclegear.com/gear/heat-out-helmet-liner

2.8 litres of Swedish turbo

Is that fire retardent?

m4ff3w
10/27/17 4:25 p.m.

In reply to APEowner :

Nope.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
10/27/17 10:11 p.m.

I just think it's cool that the Snell Foundation uses that thing from Phantasm to test helmets.

Mark_42
Mark_42 New Reader
11/3/17 3:22 p.m.

In reply to Brian :

It's funny... "Autocross is safer than driving on the freeway"
Then I hear "Buy a GOOD helmet - your brain is worth it!"
But the people advising me to spend a lot on a good helmet rarely wear one while driving to work on the freeway - which is more dangerous than Autocross - which requires SNELL (not just DOT) rated helmets.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wuzkJU1mgpXBJ6LyCDkUPHId3qWXhRo7kZaKB4jVZNf6eaiP0XbjINHodLcwvbCO