Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 11:38 a.m.

For the last 10 years I have towed a trailer to events. That leaves you plenty of room to haul most of the world. Tents, chairs, air compressor, tools, coolers, fans, generators, pretty much everything you can think of. 

Fast forward to today, and I have basically the trunk space in the G35. That means cutting the load down to size. 

So what do you haul beyond the obvious like tools, water, and chairs.

Anyone haul a popup canopy that is easy to set up and packs small? 

How about your air compressor? The 110v one and generator is out. Who makes a good 12v version that doesn't take most of a day to add 10 psi to a tire. 

Best chair for comfort and small size when packed? 

What else do you find makes life easier at a autocross or track day? 

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/18 11:45 a.m.

Traditionally I tend to over-pack on everything, yet for the track I've gotten things fairly light: torque wrench with just the socket needed for my lugs, cooler with water, couple of rags, glass cleaner and a microfiber or two, extra quart of oil. Then add helmet, cap, sunblock and camera gear--figure my camera gear fits in a large backpack. This is also when running a fairly new car that shouldn't break. 

For air, I'm a fan of that Milwaukee's rechargeable air inflator. Rarely am I sitting still at an event, so if it's just me I don't need a canopy. An umbrella makes a nice canopy for one, however.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/19/18 12:10 p.m.

What type of events and how far from home?

For local street-tire autox, I don't recall ever needing anything more than my helmet, magnetic numbers, cheap 12v mini-compressor, pressure gauge, sunglasses, sunblock, poncho, a sizable Gatorade, and some snacks like chips and jerky.  

dculberson
dculberson UltimaDork
10/19/18 12:10 p.m.

Sunscreen and a nice sun hat. I bought my hat at Eddie Bauer and it folds up tiny but provides lots of coverage and has a strap so it won’t blow off. 

Something like this: http://www.eddiebauer.com/product/storm-sombrero/71400129?showProducts=&color=100&sizetype=&size=

Toyman01
10/19/18 12:13 p.m.

In reply to Driven5 :

Track days and autocross. Most of them 2+ hours from home. Some one day events, some two day events. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/19/18 12:14 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

Ah yes...How could I forget the ever-fashionable 'motorsports enthusiast' full rim mesh-paneled hat, which coincidentally also doubles as a surprisingly effective form of birth control.

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/19/18 12:19 p.m.

In reply to Toyman01 :

Then I'd probably add a jack, jack stands, torque wrench, and a basic 'mechanic' tool set...Just in case.  I always figured that if it requires more than that, it's probably time to call a tow truck and check with the locals for a reputable shop.  Maybe a small cooler, folding chair, and golf-umbrella too.

turtl631
turtl631 HalfDork
10/19/18 1:03 p.m.

The Milwaukee M12 inflator is nice. Fairly pricey but there are tons of useful M12 tools and its a nice system to buy into. I find it useful to have some quick detailer spray, window cleaner, paper towels, and baby wipes to keep all flavors of grime in check.  

I have a beach sun umbrella I need to rig up to attach to my rei camping chair.

Ram50Ron
Ram50Ron GRM+ Memberand Reader
10/19/18 1:16 p.m.

+1 on the Milwaukee inflator if you aren't already married to another battery system

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/19/18 1:25 p.m.

+1 umbrella, -1 canopy. Both are awful in even just a little bit of wind, but the canopy is much more awful to take down in a hurry.

Maybe make a small pvc tube and attach to your chair so that it holds your umbrella for you.

I like to bring a notebook and pencil for taking notes on my car setup or writing down times/scores.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/19/18 1:48 p.m.

I'm crazy, and tend to OneLap... or wait, maybe reverse that... I dunno.

I've got a background with camping/backpacking, and I was also planning on getting (?) to do OneLap in a Miata, no trailer, so space was at a premium.  So, I got two of these chairs:
https://www.rei.com/product/877258/rei-co-op-flexlite-chair

I'd also suggest you look at HarborFreight's Aluminum Jack Stands.  They're the same price as the steel ones at "parts stores", and quite a bit lighter.  Nice if you've got the 17's and are thinking about swapping front/back... might be less useful if you've got the big rubber on.  But there's lots of reasons to want to get the car up, and not rely on the jack.

I've got an old duffel bag I break an Aluminum hydraulic jack into, which I also throw the torque wrench with the single socket I need for the lugs.

Then I usually throw two tool bags together (12"x9")... one with sockets, screw drivers, and some assorted pliers and vice grips.  The other bag holds a multimeter and my tire gauge and mechanics gloves.

I've also gotten into having an A5 Lux kick scooter with me... but that's because OneLap doesn't allow "motorized sighting laps"... but real convenient jetting around a paddock with it.

You might also consider a piece of plywood for the jack and stands... some places are getting anal about their asphalt.

Extra oil, extra brake fluid, window cleaner and a roll of blue towels.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
10/19/18 3:25 p.m.

Oh yeah, granola bars--but not the chewy ones that get all gooey when hot. Made that mistake recently. 

Driven5
Driven5 SuperDork
10/19/18 4:25 p.m.

Yes, you definitely have to be careful of anything that melts or requires refrigeration...And every once in a while one slips through the (mental) cracks.

Fitz
Fitz GRM+ Memberand New Reader
10/19/18 6:54 p.m.

Ryobi 18v inflator

Ryobi 18v impact wrench

Tool bag with sockets, tq wrench, gloves, zip ties, painters tape, etc.

Chair

Tarps

Jack stands and jack

Small cooler, water bottles, granola bars (usually do Cliff bars since melting doesn't really hurt them) 

Backpack with hoodie, rain coat, pajama pants

Umbrella

Helmet/driving gloves/shoes

That's all I can fit in a NC Miata with the tall FM transformer bar and rear diagonals in the trunk as well. With more room I'd probably go with a larger cooler and have stuff in rubbermade containers so unloading would go quicker. 

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/19/18 9:10 p.m.

I forget everything then borrow stuff from other people. 

Toyman01
10/19/18 10:10 p.m.
EvanB said:

I forget everything then borrow stuff from other people. 

This is where I've been the last couple of events. I'm trying to avoid this in the future. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EEOx3ZcqgjiILzCXbtqMH6cCKj9JPSInrcuzD7XKSNtNw9lT43wEjtkzGdd7FaDn