1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 219
FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/18/21 6:01 p.m.

Ya, I very rarely see any 1st/2nd gen Taurus car/wagons on the road. They just had way too many 'built-in' issues. These issues included the '10 foot' power steering hoses that often leaked. The porous head castings were another problem. The body design did turn the other auto makers on their heads (much like the GM Mini Blazer and Chrysler Mini van platforms).

outasite
outasite HalfDork
3/18/21 6:47 p.m.

In reply to FMB42 :

Attempting to bleed the power steering system after replacing the pump or rack was a real PITA. Took forever.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltimaDork
3/19/21 7:31 a.m.

Karma Revero - the current production version of what started out as the Fisker Karma.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/19/21 11:43 a.m.

Yesterday I saw an FR-S Release Series 2.0--one of the beige ones. Looked terrific. 

Rodan
Rodan Dork
3/19/21 3:17 p.m.

Bunch of C8 'Vettes on a broken down car hauler...

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/19/21 3:21 p.m.
Rodan said:

Bunch of C8 'Vettes on a broken down car hauler...

Well it is jack cooper...

This is kinda a unicorn; I forgot that my father in law had my wife's great grandmothers valiant.

FMB42
FMB42 Reader
3/19/21 5:38 p.m.

Is that Val a push button auto? And is that a classic Honda parked in front of it? If so, you've nailed the 2fer Unicorn sighting post.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/19/21 6:23 p.m.
FMB42 said:

Is that Val a push button auto? And is that a classic Honda parked in front of it? If so, you've nailed the 2fer Unicorn sighting post.

Yeah, it's a twofer. No, it's not a push button though

Powar (Forum Supporter)
Powar (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/19/21 6:38 p.m.

This turbocharged intercooled hottie showed up down the street from my house yesterday.

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/19/21 7:19 p.m.

The sound of this Mirage's wastegate opening is forever burned in my mind. Love them.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/20/21 12:54 a.m.

Early 90s Pontiac Grand Prix. Can't remember when I saw a clean one of these on the street.

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/20/21 6:18 a.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Yesterday I saw an FR-S Release Series 2.0--one of the beige ones. Looked terrific. 

I'm so happy they went with bigger displacement than a turbo. Means that both plebs like me might be able to afford one and that it doesn't have to get heavy. Win-win!

crankwalk (Forum Supporter)
crankwalk (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
3/20/21 10:54 a.m.
DaewooOfDeath said:
David S. Wallens said:

I'm so happy they went with bigger displacement than a turbo. Means that both plebs like me might be able to afford one and that it doesn't have to get heavy. Win-win!

I don't know why turbo = heavy like it's still 1983. It would have added 60-70 lbs for 100 hpbump. I still don't get these. A DI 1.6 I4 turbo would have been great in these cars and could have still been cheap, better fuel economy, and more power.

spandak
spandak HalfDork
3/20/21 7:14 p.m.

In reply to crankwalk (Forum Supporter) :

I'm thinking it's about a lot more than just the turbo gear. EVERYTHING has to get larger. Brakes, axles, diffs, trans, etc. the cascading effect ups the weight of everything and that's assuming the parts they have can handle it at all. 
This is all from an OEM perspective. The aftermarket doesn't need to worry about such things. 
That's not even mentioning developing cost or that they make a 4 cylinder Supra already....

Saw a cleannn V6 Camry wagon from the early 90s a day or two ago. That's a weird one

Slippery (Forum Supporter)
Slippery (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
3/20/21 7:14 p.m.

Saw a Suzuki Cappuccino today. Took me a bit to figure out what it was. No pics. 

BigIron
BigIron New Reader
3/20/21 8:09 p.m.
eastsideTim said:

In reply to barefootskater (Shaun) :

I barely ever see 92-95 Tauruses anymore, but then I'm in the rust belt.  I guess they are also getting old enough to disappear out west, too.

My parents got a new 86 Taurus Wagon to replace a very problematic 1983 VW Bus (a Westy, too, would love to have it nowadays).  I considered them a "new" car for so long.  In 1993, I saw an MT5 with a primer paint job, and that was jarring.

The other day I saw an original body style Taurus wagon and a late 90's Continental within 30 seconds of one another in rural southern WI.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/20/21 8:50 p.m.

I live in the land of Luxo SUVs and I don't think I've ever seen one of these

DaewooOfDeath
DaewooOfDeath SuperDork
3/20/21 9:00 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

What is that?

Got a twofer today, both with stories.

Newish Rolls Royce. I've seen it around town, driven by a really stressed looking middle aged woman. I've seen her stuck in paid parking lots (doors are to big to get out next to the kiosk, car is too tall and the doors are too thick for her to reach from inside), stuck in a side ally and struggling to find a parking spot where it won't get damaged (notice how it's parked in the picture). Beautiful car, but I don't think the owner enjoys it very much.

AMG CL43 GTS if I remember correctly. I paid attention to this one because the lifter click was 80s Iron Duke levels of loud and rattly.

TurnerX19
TurnerX19 UltraDork
3/20/21 9:56 p.m.

In reply to DaewooOfDeath :

That is some model of Infinity. I don't know which, but they are dirt common in eastern PA.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
3/20/21 10:25 p.m.

QX80

Funny that rich Tahoe folks don't buy infinitis. Hmmm. Syncro Vanagons on the other hand, not unicorns around here.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/21 9:14 a.m.

chandler
chandler UltimaDork
3/21/21 3:55 p.m.

dxman92
dxman92 Dork
3/21/21 4:17 p.m.

Whale tail white Porsche Carrera with white Fuchs. Also it's newer but a newer Corolla hatchback with a manual box.

TVR Scott (Forum Supporter)
TVR Scott (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/22/21 8:56 p.m.

One of the new electric Mach thingies from Ford.  Reminded me of a Cayenne.  Didn't hate it but it didn't change my life either.

84FSP
84FSP UltraDork
3/23/21 4:25 p.m.

Spotted a mintyAmc Spirit rolling around my neighborhood today.  95% perfect time capsule.

1 ... 112 113 114 115 116 ... 219

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2sJ6ADWmEw3SFgpxgSO2UOOeuVTFiYlqVDaxdKVWmvVOHQOqYdZXlGjg3TfYjK0P