1 2 3 4
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltraDork
9/9/12 3:43 p.m.

So let's have a fun thread that everyone can participate in. I'm kind of interested in seeing where this will go.

So, let's start with that we are building a kit car (so its a blank slate). Said kit car has a large enough engine bay to hold any size V6, length and width. The transmission/transaxle will bolt up to whatever V6 you choose.

The criteria is:

• Needs to be out of a production vehicle, i.e. no one offs.

• Needs to be a reliable engine (Don't want one that likes to snap timing belts)

• Naturally aspirated, but is able to be boosted as an option down the road.

• Can be modded easily whether there is an aftermarket or simple things that involve a Dremel tool.

• In case of the engine needing to be rebuilt, it won't take an Doctorate in Rocket Science to work on.

So let's see what gets brought to the table!

Oh and give a reason why you chose what you chose.

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
9/9/12 3:46 p.m.

GM 3.8

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
9/9/12 3:48 p.m.

Alfa

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/9/12 3:50 p.m.

Nissan VQ 3.5

TeamEvil
TeamEvil Reader
9/9/12 4:06 p.m.

I've got you GM 3.8 all ready to go !

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/TeamEvil/eng12.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v136/TeamEvil/eng9.jpg

Comes with a nice pair of Holley aluminum valve covers.

If you're running a VW transaxle in the kit car, I have an adapter and flywheels to connect the 3.8 to the VW trans plus a built up racing transaxle as well.

One or all, either way. Easy Peasy, plug and play ! ! !

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk Dork
9/9/12 4:07 p.m.

GM 4.3

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
9/9/12 4:20 p.m.

Toyota MZ or GR series.

Honorable mention goes to the Mazda KL and JEs.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/12 4:24 p.m.

That would be the right answer

fasted58 wrote: GM 3.8

Available in lots of power

And even more power

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/12 4:27 p.m.

My choice:

New Mustang V6 with it's six speed at 300hp+ and good fuel economy. Unsure of "easy to work on" but I don't hear a lot of people having issues.

Runner Up:

GM "High Feature" V6, again 300hp, they are stupid easy to work on and as long as you keep the oil in them changed FREQUENTLY they seem to take a whoopin,.

Both have turbocharged variants AND both are available in N/S with manual transmissions OR E/W!

ProDarwin
ProDarwin SuperDork
9/9/12 5:05 p.m.

Nissan VQ35/37/40/whatever

Probably the lightest weight V6 in this thread. Infinite aftermarket, available in many different flavors, from 240hp to 330ish (?).

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/9/12 5:12 p.m.

I got to say Buick 3.8L as well. There is just way too many options out there for that motor. If your pockets are deep, you can run all aluminum motor as well.

Tell me another V6 that can support 8 sec quarter miles regularly.

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
9/9/12 5:13 p.m.

Odd ball for ya,

link

One out of an old SAAB aero would be a nice find!

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/9/12 5:30 p.m.

http://chambana.craigslist.org/cto/3260678171.html

Shrugs

Oh wait, v6..... Sorry

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/9/12 6:30 p.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Nissan VQ35/37/40/whatever Probably the lightest weight V6 in this thread. Infinite aftermarket, available in many different flavors, from 240hp to 330ish (?).

My Vote too.. also availble bolted to FWD, AWD, and RWD vehicles

pres589
pres589 Dork
9/9/12 6:44 p.m.

Ford Koln 2600 because they sound cool and are a very small package.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/9/12 6:56 p.m.

Ls1.. I dare say it could fit if ANY V6 ever would fit.

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
9/9/12 6:57 p.m.

duratec 3.0. durable as heck. supports being boosted very well (noble anyone) and has a good 75 hpo left on the table from the factory in headers tune and intake work.

pres589
pres589 Dork
9/9/12 6:58 p.m.

Not to derail this but I've been wondering why Ford didn't drop the Duratec 3.0 out of the Taurus into the Mustang as the V6 used instead of the old 3.8. Probably more cost to build the Duratec? It seems like it would be a more enjoyable car to drive with that vs the low-revving 3.8...

KATYB
KATYB HalfDork
9/9/12 7:02 p.m.

pres im sure alot of the reasoning was to as keep price down (duratec is alot more expensive to build than the essex 3,8. also to keep the performance gap wider. remember the sn95 at first only had 220 out of the 4.6 a duratec that surely would have had 200 or 210 in mustang trim would have been awfully close in performance.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce HalfDork
9/9/12 7:14 p.m.

3 liter diesel out of the newer MB cars. I know, its already turbo, but it would be interesting and knowing how luxury cars lose value, it shouldn't be too expensive.
If the factory turbo disqualifies the diesel, then I shift my vote to an air cooled Porsche 6 cylinder. Yes, it's a v, the v is just 180 degrees. To make it interesting, I'd figure out how to run it in a front mounted configuration with the cylinders hanging in the breeze like an old boxer BMW bike. If we can figure out how to run Subaru engines in the back of a VW then surely we can figure out how to run a Porsche 6 up in front.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy SuperDork
9/9/12 7:16 p.m.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HTU2M8MycW4

Already blown.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Reader
9/9/12 7:20 p.m.

GM 3.4 with 3500 heads and intake. 11.5:1 screamer with the right cam. add a set of long tubes and some porting. mate it up to a t5 from an s10, and sump it in a speedway track-t kit with a set of 3.50ish gears.

can you tell what my next project will be?

Anti-stance
Anti-stance Dork
9/9/12 7:28 p.m.

I gotta go with the GM 3.8 or the VQ.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
9/9/12 7:40 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: 3 liter diesel out of the newer MB cars. I know, its already turbo, but it would be interesting and knowing how luxury cars lose value, it shouldn't be too expensive. If the factory turbo disqualifies the diesel, then I shift my vote to an air cooled Porsche 6 cylinder. Yes, it's a v, the v is just 180 degrees. To make it interesting, I'd figure out how to run it in a front mounted configuration with the cylinders hanging in the breeze like an old boxer BMW bike. If we can figure out how to run Subaru engines in the back of a VW then surely we can figure out how to run a Porsche 6 up in front.

Probably like this but a little longer

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado PowerDork
9/9/12 7:41 p.m.

Having enough room in the bay leaves my VR6 out. Another vote for Buick. Damn the pushrods, full speed ahead. Don't know if it ever won Indy or IMSA, but dang, those things could bust out some power.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
DJ4c24YqdoNGwHprJ8goBLi82YvEeDJXK6sWWj3feFc6Aw3aGE4Py6REIrLy54eF