1 2 3 4
Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/11/21 5:16 p.m.

Today was paint work day.  I hate paint work day.

The sandblaster I used is not designed for anyone who has a height that starts with "6."  My back is killing me.

Got it done, though, then home to degrease and prime.

I'm not sure what this can thingie is for, but it is damn helpful when I am painting.

Little weird overspray on the hood.  Might have to do some sanding.  I hate sanding, just as I hate paint and body work

Mr_Asa
5/11/21 9:46 p.m.

Note for self: Duplicolor T174 is supposed to be a good match to the white of the motor accents

Mr_Asa
5/12/21 4:27 p.m.

We have color.

White gloss base coat to help cover up the OD green of the zinc chromate.  While still tacky spray the blue and... damn.  Doesn't pop in pictures like it does in person, but I'm getting excited

Now, if only Amazon would get off their asses and quit delaying delivery of some parts I could put the boat together while I wait for the paint to dry.

In the mean time, it makes lovely yard art.

Mr_Asa
5/12/21 5:49 p.m.

In reply to Dirtydog (Forum Supporter) :

I would say that the neighbors hate me for my permanent display of random yard art, but I'm far from the worst person on the street

Mr_Asa
5/14/21 12:45 p.m.

So, I had trouble finding the base color coat I was using, from the rant thread:

Mr_Asa said:

berkeley, man.

I'm 24-48 hours away from wrapping up my outboard repaint, which will let me put it back together and start testing it.  Could probably get it in a barrel by the end of the weekend.

I can't find the white base layer paint I was using at ANY local store that lists it on their website.  I voluntarily went into two separate Wal-Marts in search of it.  I drove to half a dozen other shops that I know carry Dupli-color.  berkeleying nothing, so this entire project is back on hold.  Demoralizing. 

I guess I can work on the boat itself, I think I have all the parts I need to start wrapping it up.

Pepboys in this area is shutting down the retail section of a couple of its stores.  That's where I originally got the paint from.  So I head to them and they're out.  Well, I got clever.  I'm using Dupli-Color Perfect Match for the top coat of color.  Since I didn't want to test a new white layer to make sure the paint solvents played well with each other, I took advantage of the 70% off and cleared out two separate stores of anything white.

One of my co-pilots on this early morning adventure was not appreciative of the early timing.

Now, that being out of the way, I could get to work.

And of course, aint no party like a Mr. Asa party, cause a Mr. Asa party berkeleys something up.  Lovebug flew into my freshly laid paint.  Instead of just letting the thing die and sanding it out like a rational person, or going and getting tweezers like an intelligent person, I used my dumb ole ape hands and... well...

Mr_Asa
5/14/21 12:45 p.m.

Although, now having posted that, I have an idea...

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/14/21 2:51 p.m.

Too bad about the lovebug in the paint, but I am glad that you're painting it in the original (or at least close to original) color.

They're the same thing under the hood, but I prefer the 'Holiday Bronze' they used on Johnson outboards in 1956.  smiley

ckosacranoid
ckosacranoid SuperDork
5/15/21 5:30 p.m.

Nice project and thank you for sharing.

Mr_Asa
5/15/21 7:18 p.m.

berkeley.

I'm gonna go drink while I think about next steps.

Damnit.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/16/21 8:42 a.m.

Their website is terrible, but try Twin City Outboard in Minnesota for a replacement part.  I think they're supposed to be the biggest outboard salvage yard in the US.  https://www.twincityoutboard.com

Mr_Asa
5/16/21 9:57 a.m.

In reply to stuart in mn :

Thanks, but Matt Penn of https://www.oldoutboard.com/ is literally right off the Hillsborough River, and I have a few other people in the area that can probably provide parts.  These should be common enough, I just don't know if the motor being the first year of the 25HP will be a PITA or not.

Still, new resource.

kb58
kb58 SuperDork
5/16/21 10:38 a.m.

I realize how old I've become, heaving just learned that a fiberglass boat is considered "classic" or 'antique." I fully expected to come see something like a Chris Craft... Sigh...

Mr_Asa
5/16/21 12:09 p.m.

In reply to kb58 :

It is a boat that was designed and made 64 or 65 years ago.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/16/21 12:58 p.m.

Boat names...

Just a little more.

Just one more. (Project or beverage)

Perceftion. Misspelled on purpose....

No regerts.

Done.

Finally done.

Built not bought.

Eh...  (as in "eh, good enough")

Good enough!

Mr_Asa
5/16/21 1:00 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

Considering the COVID project nature, and the general history of the boat, I think I decided to go with "Deferred"

pirate
pirate HalfDork
5/16/21 1:40 p.m.
stuart in mn said:

Too bad about the lovebug in the paint, but I am glad that you're painting it in the original (or at least close to original) color.

They're the same thing under the hood, but I prefer the 'Holiday Bronze' they used on Johnson outboards in 1956.  smiley

Looks like an Aristocraft boat in this ad. As a kid I thought those were the best looking boat on the water. Although by the time I grew up and could afford one they were pretty much all gone or rotted away.

Mr_Asa
5/16/21 5:34 p.m.

berkeley.  berkeley berkeley berkeley berkeley berkeley

I gave up on motor stuff after this happened this morning.  Went and worked on the boat itself.

I chased both male and female threads on this stupid screw as well.

Real quick dug out my control box.  Realized I need new/longer cables.  I have another set of cables that may be longer, but I'm not sure.

Worked on filling in the worst of the pits in these things.  Not sure what their purpose is, but they were on the boat when I got it so they're going back on.

From where they belong on the boat (where the hull meets the stern,) might be tie down strap guides?  Not sure.

Now to do some appearance stuff.

One of the things that I heard about these boats when I first picked them up was that they were very flexible and they twisted a lot, so I wanted to try and stiffen it a little bit.  So I grabbed some aluminum bar stock and drilled some matching holes.  Took each side and clamped them together and as with everything else I sprayed some zinc chromate on the back.  Unfortunately the bolt holes don't match 100% and I got paint through the bolt holes onto the visible surface.  Because of this and because the surface wasn't pretty I took a nylox abrasive brush cup to the surface to get it pretty.

I'm currently gluing a rubber strip to the back of the metal so I don't have metal rubbing on fiberglass.  The glue should be set in another hour and I'll install the one side I have ready

Mr_Asa
5/17/21 2:32 p.m.

Stylistic input please. 

The trim piece going over the edge of the bow cap, and the side trim gets about 2-3 dozen #10 screws.  I have flat head and I have oval headed screws.  The flat headed ones are the correct length and don't require any mods, the oval headed ones are about two inches too long and will require me to cut down every single one.  That being said, I can do that.

The rest of the screws in the boat are 1/4" and are flat head.  The original ones were flat head throughout.

So, interesting detail to add, or another possible chasing perfection thing?

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
5/17/21 2:40 p.m.

I think the oval heads look nicer, but since the rest of the boat has flat head screws I wouldn't feel bad about using them  on that side trim.

That little arrowhead-shaped trim piece on the side of the boat is an interesting detail.

Mr_Asa
5/17/21 4:40 p.m.

Side trim with oval heads.  I think I can live with them on the top portion, but I don't know about the bottom, I think that needs to be flush to accentuate that outward curve on the bottom portion of the spray rail.  

When I get that inside brace panel installed further I'll remove some of the lower bolts and see what they look like with flat heads on bottom and oval on top

Mr_Asa
5/17/21 7:27 p.m.

I kind of like the oval heads on top and flat heads on bottom.  Looks like I'm going to be cutting a bunch of threads off.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
5/17/21 7:37 p.m.

This seems to be a chasing perfection issue...

I had to re read and look at all the pictures a few times to figure out what you were talking about...

They are fasteners.  Just make sure they do the job properly move along.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/17/21 8:04 p.m.

If you're chasing perfection make sure all of the heads are aligned the same devil

Mr_Asa
5/19/21 9:59 a.m.

Good news, everyone!

Good News Everyone GIFs | Tenor

I realized that I still had stuff to paint!

Turning the control box from an old nasty thing into something pretty.

I'm going to have to figure out how to restore the knobs, though.  They're kinda like Bakelite, says "Daka-Ware" on the bottom.  Apparently the company that made them in the 50s and 60s is still around.  I might reach out to them and see if they can help me polish my knob(s)

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h1I7qNUQGufeCQqNvrWy1oRl8v2Co6K0P43QKs9LCfUs6Pxld38W3XpAxkaxatay