1 2 3 4 5 6 7
airwerks
airwerks Reader
7/28/15 12:08 p.m.

Methinks most of the people saying "v-twin" actually mean Harley. That or they have never heard my S4R.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
7/28/15 1:16 p.m.

Yeah.... So exhaust note is one thing. Some engines can be praised or scorned depending on exhaust configuration. Like the VQ series. It seems the general consensus is four bangs suck unless running ITBs or screaming at 14k... Straight 6? I haven't heard a bad one yet. V8? No contest. V12's??? I don't have any experience but when I did a track day an Aston Martin made it hard to walk.

vazbmw
vazbmw HalfDork
7/28/15 1:23 p.m.

In reply to Trackmouse:

I agree...Here's my 22R with sidedrafts22r Sorry for the low quality recording...but you engine sounds sweet to me

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
7/28/15 1:27 p.m.
Duke wrote: Even built VQs sound like My Little Pony farting through a megaphone.

There is a certain crowd that would really excite so be careful where you say such a thing.

Desy
Desy New Reader
7/28/15 1:56 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: A rotary engine will not sound good no matter what you do to it.

Lies and Slander! I absolutely love the sound of a properly set up rotary. 13b's can sound terrible if you run then practically wide open with no resonators/cat's. And 20'bs dear lord. F1 sounds from a street car. Yum.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse Reader
7/28/15 2:32 p.m.

In reply to vazbmw: God bless the ITB's. Is there anything they can't enhance? Boobies?

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/28/15 2:39 p.m.

Is there any other answer than whatever horrid engine are put into Harleys??? I have yet to hear one that sounds remotely even bearable, let alone good. In cars, Civics and Integras, nope, hate their "distinctive" sound.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/28/15 2:39 p.m.
Sky_Render wrote: A rotary engine will not sound good no matter what you do to it.

I would like to apologize to all of my rotary-loving friends out there.

Because I should have said:

"Any Harley-Davidson motor, ever."

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
7/28/15 4:00 p.m.
Fobroader wrote: Is there any other answer than whatever horrid engine are put into Harleys??? I have yet to hear one that sounds remotely even bearable, let alone good. In cars, Civics and Integras, nope, hate their "distinctive" sound.

V-rod, co-developed with Porsche.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/28/15 6:20 p.m.

How did this go beyond one page?

1st place: The Subaru 4. The flatulant note announcing the arrival of the Monster fueled flatbiller in his slammed to the ground rally racer who will pass on the shoulder to make sure he beats you to Taco Bell where he will then prevent you from entering as he tears his bumper off trying to negotiate the driveway apron.

2nd place: The Rotary. While sifting through the smoldering remains of Hiroshima engineers were plotting their revenge on America. The remembered hearing an ungodly noise at a World'a Fair. A horrendous buzzing the Germans were planing to unleash on the world. The began to crank out these auditory assault vehicles and send them back to the great satan. What other reason could there be to produce an engine that is small yet inefficient, and loud without making any torque.

3rd place goes to the Harley V-Twin. An American Icon that used to strike fear into good God fearing Americans. It's arrival heralded unsavory visitors. Modern day marauders who were coming to stab your sons, knock up your daughters and clog the toilet at the Texaco station. Times change, sometimes for the worse. Now when you hear the dreaded "potato potato" of Milwaukee'a second favorite export swarming your town it means hotel room rates are going to soar, the wait at Applebee's is going to be unbearable, and oil stains in all the parking spaces.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Dork
7/28/15 6:41 p.m.

Wow, I like Subaru flat 4s, Honda/Acura 4s, rotaries, even Harleys. Never knew I was such a minority.

I will say this, most GM V6s sound like trash. And you guys are right, the 22RE turning the oversized tires on my rusty old 4Runner wheezes mightily through the flow master I put on, but it does still sound pretty bad.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
7/29/15 12:01 p.m.
Spoolpigeon wrote: Any V-twin ever.

I disagree, my to1000r sounds amazing. Pappy's Rc51 with the akra ti/carbon setup sounds great, Ducati with some termis does too. I hate how harleys sound, volumetric efficiency sounds good to me, my ear likes what is working well, thusly 150hp 1000cc= good, 80hp out of whatever displacement harleys are using=bad.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
7/29/15 12:06 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Wow, I like Subaru flat 4s, Honda/Acura 4s, rotaries, even Harleys. Never knew I was such a minority. I will say this, most GM V6s sound like trash. And you guys are right, the 22RE turning the oversized tires on my rusty old 4Runner wheezes mightily through the flow master I put on, but it does still sound pretty bad.

You're not in the minority - this is highly subjective. Opinions are like you know what - everyone has one.

To everyone hating on Subaru boxer's - well you're wrong!

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/29/15 1:45 p.m.

There was a honda CRX at a recent autocross I was at that has a rather horrible sounding sound.

Wow, I like Subaru flat 4s, Honda/Acura 4s, rotaries, even Harleys. Never knew I was such a minority.

I don't think you are in a minority. I can like 4 cylinderss, in fact there are many that I do, but those 80s honda ones do not sound good lol.

Fiat twincam, subaru flat-4, 4G63T, S2000 and more recent honda 4s, 4AGE, are a few examples of 4 cylinders that sound very good to me.

The EJ207 Subaru flat 4 sound particularly awesome especially close to 8000rpm redline.

I think Fiat twin cams are by far the best sounding 4 cylinder. I want to own a car with one one day.

I think your hatred of lower cylinder count engine sounds depends on how much you love v8s. IDGAF about V8s. I think they can sound good and like them like i do many other engines but have no preference for them.

I think a lot of hate towards engine sounds has more to do with the annoying as berkeley exhausts people put on them. V-twins and 4 cylinders in particular.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/29/15 3:51 p.m.

What ever they put in those current generation mail delivery vans. Makes a John Deere sound racey.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
7/29/15 3:52 p.m.

Well, and once again, this isn't about poop sounding EXHAUST. It's about ENGINES that always sound bad no matter what exhaust is on it.

Keep it real guys.

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/29/15 4:00 p.m.

Nothing under 300ci is going to have a sound worth talking about.

airwerks
airwerks Reader
7/29/15 4:37 p.m.
Wally wrote: Nothing under 300ci is going to have a sound worth talking about.

Couldn't disagree more!

Motorcycles, Ferarri V8's, Most any performance oriented inline 6, the list goes on and on!

Fobroader
Fobroader Reader
7/29/15 4:43 p.m.

The 2L in the S2000 sounds alright....same with the NSX.....Supra sounds alright, Skyline, B group rally cars......

Furious_E
Furious_E GRM+ Memberand Reader
7/29/15 5:32 p.m.

Oh?

Honda RC166

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
7/29/15 5:32 p.m.
Fobroader wrote:
The 2L in the S2000 sounds alright....same with the NSX.....Supra sounds alright, Skyline, B group rally cars......

1uzfe sounds bonkers. It's 242ci

ronbros9
ronbros9 New Reader
7/29/15 6:05 p.m.

you guys should hear my V12 Jaguar all 12 cylinders from a single 5" diameter outlet! especially,full throttle, after peak torque at 4200 rpm all the way to 7000 rpm. it turns into a scream, not harsh, a touch of bass! makes your hair stand up.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse HalfDork
7/29/15 6:26 p.m.

In reply to ronbros9: video or ban.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
7/29/15 7:31 p.m.

Anyone mention jeep 4.0 or 4.2? Never heard one id say sounds good. I love them but they dont make a good sound in any form. Not terrible sound like any Harley v twin just not a good sound

Tom1200
Tom1200 Reader
7/29/15 10:02 p.m.

First the worst sounding motor ever (no sense in debating it) is your flat head single cylinder lawn mower..............RrrrrRrrrrRrrrrRrrrr and some dufus always starts one at 6:45........go back to bed......dork

I like the thrum of the boxer motor in my Outback.

Rotary 8000 rpm wail is one of the coolest sounds ever

A pack of Harleys sound great......when they are XR750s slipstreaming down the front stretch at the Sacramento Mile.

Yes to ITBs on motors; the flat slide carbs on my Datsun make it sound much better.

Two strokes; doesn't get much cooler than 500cc GP bike and part of the coolness of riding a TZ250 is the sound. It's hard for any four stoke to compete but there are a couple that are very cool.

The aforementioned RC 166 and for me the RC148 5 cyl 125 GP bike.

Tom

1 2 3 4 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WA2Si5CwS3oMXFxRWjhXMk0kprmQ9CPRr02w7juGvuYvGJXZsaYIccjIQJv8DlyG