1 2
Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/11 3:28 p.m.

The Subaru has been put away for the winter, perfect time to do some mainifying. Could use new pads.

The problem is there's a million different choices, and a million different opinions.
Here's what I need:
Stops well
Low dust

I don't especially care about noise. I don't track it, I don't autocross it. It's a sporty non-winter daily.

What to use? Hawks? EBC? Carbotech? Somebody show me light!

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/16/11 3:38 p.m.

EBC Greenstuff on my Olds are dusty but they seem to stop alright and are quiet, work in the cold decently and after that first stop are fine. Only have them on the front, the rears are some cheap nonsense but that nose heavy pig probably doesn't really work the rears much at all.

paul
paul Reader
1/16/11 3:55 p.m.

Generic semi-metallic pads should work fine & are inexpensive, e.g. http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts/DC/384-05013915.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=ff&utm_term=2002-2010+Subaru+Impreza+Brake+Pads+Beck+Arnley+02-10+Subaru+Brake+Pad+Set+2009+2004&utm_content=DN&utm_campaign=PartsGeek+Google+Base

Or maybe hawk HPS, around $80 for a front set.

If high dust wasn't a issue, I'd go with hawk HP+.

mrhappy
mrhappy Reader
1/16/11 3:59 p.m.

My etc yellow are awesome. Some dusting but its not that bad.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 Reader
1/16/11 4:01 p.m.

Axxis Metal Master; great price too. I used them on my Mazda6 and was very happy with overall performance.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/11 4:04 p.m.
ST_ZX2 wrote: Axxis Metal Master; great price too. I used them on my Mazda6 and was very happy with overall performance.

I had those on my RX-7 and had forgotten about them. Don't remember having any complaints about them.

Doesn't look like they make them for the WRX...weird.

Travis_K
Travis_K Dork
1/16/11 4:22 p.m.

My dads legacy eats EBC green pads quite fast. It now has carbotech pads which work fine. If you want something better than autozone (which you should), carbotech would be a fine choice. I think you need to either turn or replace the rotors for them to work properly though.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
1/16/11 5:12 p.m.

+1 on Hawk HPS

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/11 6:34 p.m.

I'm not a big fan of anything EBC after some fun I had with some of their bike products. I do however like Hawk stuff, so I'd default to checking out Hawk HPS or HP+.

Flynlow
Flynlow New Reader
1/16/11 8:04 p.m.

Hate to say it, cause I'm a Porterfield R4S advocate, but for stock sporty daily with no auto-x/track use.....why not keep the OEM Subaru ceramics? I have those on my GC8 and they work perfectly well, with almost no noise or dust.

They also almost lasted a weekend at MidOhio when I ended up taking the Scooby after the MR2 wasn't finished in time.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/11 8:17 p.m.

I've had EBC pads fail, not fun. I won't buy them ever again. VERY happy with both Hawk (HPS) and Performance Friction (CarbonMetallic and Ceramic).

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/16/11 8:19 p.m.
Osterkraut wrote: The Subaru has been put away for the winter...

No one else has commented on this yet? You own a Subaru and you put it away for the winter?!? WTH?

And I know you own wheels for winter tires.

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/16/11 8:23 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

I don't mean to derail this but I've got EBC HH's on the front of my VFR; what's the story here? I know they sound more aggressive than the stock Honda pads, but I like the added initial bite vs. stock.

fifty
fifty Reader
1/16/11 8:39 p.m.

Stock subaru pads on my WRX were pretty good, Hawk HPS are slightly more aggressive but dust more.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/11 8:46 p.m.
dyintorace wrote:
Osterkraut wrote: The Subaru has been put away for the winter...
No one else has commented on this yet? You own a Subaru and you put it away for the winter?!? WTH? And I know you own wheels for winter tires.

It took the first big snowfall and the terrible, salty, mushy slush that happens soon after for me to go pale at the thought of subjecting my beautiful Subaru to such conditions.

The Land Cruiser is proving an excellent winter ally.

Sonic
Sonic Dork
1/16/11 9:09 p.m.

Hawk HPS are my go to pad for any daily driver, they are a little bit of a performance upgrade with no downsides, last a long time, don't dust more than anything else I have used, are readily available, and reasonable priced.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/16/11 10:46 p.m.

Weird, apparently they were right when they said a lot of forum goers don't get the actual magazine because I believe there is an article about this in the newest mag...

pres589
pres589 HalfDork
1/16/11 11:24 p.m.

In reply to HiTempguy:

Really only one of those pads were for street use and they were all the same brand so I don't really think that counts.

Osterkraut
Osterkraut SuperDork
1/16/11 11:41 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Weird, apparently they were right when they said a lot of forum goers don't get the actual magazine because I believe there is an article about this in the newest mag...

The Miata brake pad one? Much like the recent muffler "comparo," I wasn't really impressed.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
1/17/11 7:09 a.m.

Unfortunately, I agree with that sentiment. The brake pad test only proved that brakes make little difference in an autocross, since the stock pads were just as fast as all the race pads. That's why I'm still running the original, 64,000 mile pads on my Sentra. The race pads are only better in fade resistance at a track day.

In addition, the muffler test was missing input from many major manufacturers, such as Borla, Flowmaster, Dynamax, Magnaflow, etc.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
1/17/11 8:34 a.m.

Call Raceshopper and ask for Chris. They have an absurd array of stock and performance pads and know the ins and outs of every set. They website is kinda eh', but when you talk to Chris, you'll be freaked out by his "Cliff Clavin" esque knowledge of all things brake pads.

For example, there's no such thing as racing brake pads for an 86 Lincoln Mark VII. So they sent Mustang front pads with instructions to trim here, grind there and presto: Lincoln front race pads. Stock rear pads. (800) 733-8380 www.raceshopper.com

DaveEstey
DaveEstey Reader
1/17/11 9:18 a.m.

+3 on Hawk HPS

HiTempguy
HiTempguy HalfDork
1/17/11 9:20 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote: The Miata brake pad one? Much like the recent muffler "comparo," I wasn't really impressed.

I think what it reinforces is that the Hawk HPS is a good pad (better than stock), coupled with all of the positive reviews in this thread alone, would probably be worth considering.

OR, get OEM pads and be happy, because once again, they will probably work extremely well for what you need. But hey, leave deductive reasoning out of this, the test was obviously about a miata while auto-x'ing and no inferences can be made whatsoever to apply to a Subaru

Jay_W
Jay_W HalfDork
1/17/11 9:48 a.m.

Porterfield R4S

IMGT3_Performance
IMGT3_Performance New Reader
1/17/11 10:10 a.m.

IMO stick with the OE pads if they are cheaper than the Hawk or Carbotech alternatives. If the pricing is close, then make the jump.

I use (and sell) both brands of pads both in our track cars. I do stick with OE pads for the daily drive though as I do not track the car and the ATE (OE's) have a nice cold bite and I don't need the high temperature operation.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZsEihc16xIvv8PMQ455BCYKTnz03IdguU4qLGl7o6562DZ36IuZn43ZHzskOoW0H