1 2
WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
1/17/11 10:56 a.m.
Osterkraut wrote:
ST_ZX2 wrote: Axxis Metal Master; great price too. I used them on my Mazda6 and was very happy with overall performance.
I had those on my RX-7 and had forgotten about them. Don't remember having any complaints about them. Doesn't look like they make them for the WRX...weird.

axxis metal masters are the same pad as pbr xbg so you might find that pad under its other name.

Matt B
Matt B HalfDork
1/17/11 2:26 p.m.

I used the EBC Greenstuff on an Integra years ago and wasn't that impressed. They pretty much felt like stock pads, but with a LOT of dust. Dust doesn't really bother me by-itself, but there better be a trade off. On that note, I'm a fan of Axxis/PBR/whatever Ultimates. They don't exactly meet your low-dust criteria, but they have excellent bite (much better than the Metal Masters I just put on there to replace them) and are generally less expensive compared to the Hawk and Porterfield stuff. That said, I'd imagine the HPS is probably more what you're looking for.

As for the article, I don't think it was supposed to be some super-comprehensive all-pads-included test. It was just a comparo between stock, street-performance, street&competition, and race pads. The fact they all came from the same manufacturer (except stock) makes the impressions from this type of comparo a bit more accurate imho. The times were telling that it doesn't really matter what you put on there for autocross purposes, but the differences in pedal-modulation would affect your daily driving experiences, well, daily.

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
1/17/11 2:56 p.m.

The Metal Masters on the MX6 don't disappoint and they were dirt cheap.

They don't seem to have near the bite or power than the EBC Greens i had a couple years ago on the Celica had, though.

I'm a fan of Greenstuffs, and Metal Masters on a budget.

gamby
gamby SuperDork
1/17/11 4:31 p.m.

Factory pads for a daily driver. Seems like the auto parts store pads I've used (even the decent ones) dust quite a bit.

Hawk HP+ are excellent, but dusty and a bit noisy. Awesome when warmed up and on a lighter car (99 Civic) they don't even chew the rotors up much at all. I daily drove them back in the day, but the dust was annoying.

Otherwise, I'd go Hawk HPS on a car that was sporty--and maybe one day you'll do some legit performance driving in it.

BTW--didn't read the rest of the thread, but there's a brake pad shootout in the most recent GRM.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
gJrkzHNWwewd4a5tbBwuD6L9WF1rpbuBzQoeHD2bIqsEoKiuwKcSysl6CLrz8hJc