1 2 3 4 ... 6
Duke
Duke MegaDork
4/2/15 1:52 p.m.
pinchvalve wrote: Interesting assumption that all engineers are male...

Well, you cant say c*** punt on a polite forum.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
4/2/15 1:53 p.m.

All engineers deserve nut kicks at one point or another.

I work directly with engineers designing and building one off prototypes. Somedays, we get into actually building said prototypes and I literally ask them "what the actual f*&k were you thinking?" Of course, that comes down to the fact that engineers typically have very little real world experience and they are trying to apply theoretical design to reality.

It would be fine if they would just ask for a 2nd opinion before submitting documentation, but nope, they thought of it so it must be good to go!

LopRacer
LopRacer Dork
4/2/15 1:54 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: The Ford powerstroke 6.0 diesel. These have made me so much money over the years but the real question was half this E36 M3 necessary??

Amen, and the dip E36 M3 that spec'd it in a bunch of our school buses. WTH this engine is a constant source of extra work.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
4/2/15 4:22 p.m.

BMW for making a poor cooling system for the E36 and other chassis. Other companies can make a sports sedan/coupe/car that doesn't have cooling problems, why couldn't they figure it out?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic PowerDork
4/2/15 4:28 p.m.
Duke wrote: Ohh, and a big ol' nut kick to wiring harness connector designers.

This I can get behind, it shouldn't take 20 minutes to figure out how to disconnect a ABS speed sensor.

iceracer
iceracer PowerDork
4/2/15 6:16 p.m.

What 81cpcamaro said about todays HVAC systems is true . On the new Fiesta it is necc. to remove the brake pedal assy. to get the blower motor out. Changing the cabin filter is fun for a contorsionist after removing the glove box.

On a different subject, but somehow related.

My plant manager wasn't happy when I said, " hmm, must have been designed by an engineer."

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/2/15 6:53 p.m.

French engineers: too much wine at lunch. Have you worked on a 505?

tr8todd
tr8todd Dork
4/2/15 6:56 p.m.

I went to school for engineering, but became a plumber, and the world makes sense now. Hot is on the left, crap floats downhill and I get paid when the job is done.

bruceman
bruceman Reader
4/2/15 7:20 p.m.

All those exhaust system engenears who insist on steel bolts and flanges on a stainless steel exhaust system!

stuart in mn
stuart in mn PowerDork
4/2/15 7:27 p.m.

Oh goodie, another engineer bashing thread.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
4/2/15 7:35 p.m.

Drive by wire..

BlueInGreen44
BlueInGreen44 HalfDork
4/2/15 7:41 p.m.

GM. The battery on my old Lumina was UNDER the washer fluid tank and a structural brace. Both of those things had to come out to give someone a jump start.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/15 8:02 p.m.

The coolant hose "situation" going on with a GenI 4Runner. There are 10-10 damn hoses that can leak if you include the throttle body and heater core (and I do.) That's 20 points of possible leakage. Good luck figuring out which one. God help you if you have the auxiliary passenger heater.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/15 8:02 p.m.
stuart in mn wrote: Oh goodie, another engineer bashing thread.

Well...somebody designed this E36 M3.

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
4/2/15 8:14 p.m.
BlueInGreen44 wrote: GM. The battery on my old Lumina was UNDER the washer fluid tank and a structural brace. Both of those things had to come out to give someone a jump start.

Ha ha ha ha. My son had one of those. I hated the car. I hated the 1986 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 we had. And who mentioned sharp edges? Yes, all 4 GM cars Ive owned has left a scar on my arm.

Will
Will SuperDork
4/2/15 8:22 p.m.

Serpentine belt changes that require disconnecting a coolant hose, because I like a good hot shower on the side of the road when changing the belt my car just threw.

Automatic transmission pans that don't have a drain plug deserve a mention, but that's really an accounting fail, not an engineering fail.

icaneat50eggs
icaneat50eggs Dork
4/2/15 8:23 p.m.

By the way I started this thing and I'm a real licensed professional engineer.

Trans_Maro
Trans_Maro UberDork
4/2/15 8:27 p.m.
Will wrote: Automatic transmission pans that don't have a drain plug deserve a mention, but that's really an accounting fail, not an engineering fail.

Not really, there's no service that can be performed on an automatic that doesn't require dropping the pan. That's why there's no drain plug.

djsilver
djsilver Reader
4/2/15 9:05 p.m.

They don't put drain plugs on automatics because they don't want DIY'ers to change transmission fluid without changing the filters as well. I do my own, so I added a drain plug.

My main beef is that when american cars started going metric they use 18mm body bolts and nuts. I've been working on metric motorcycles, bicycles and cars since the early 70's and the only wrench or socket set I've ever seen with 18mm in it came from K-mart..., I've had to add 18mm parts to all my sets. If that's not enough, my wife's E46 330CI has 16mm suspension bolts..., that's just unnecessary! ISO uses 8/10/12/14/17/19 and DIN uses 9/11/13/15/17/19.

chiodos
chiodos Reader
4/2/15 9:16 p.m.

Cars that lock themselves if you dont open the door quickly enough after pressing the unlock button, seat belt minders. The best I heard recently was you have to have an electronic tool to change the brake pads on a newer mercedes, if you just pull the caliper a sensor trips and shoots the pistons out in the locked position and will not loosen until you hook a computer to it.

Edit, oh and sw20 turbos, which engineer thought it was a good idea to put TWO rubber hoses behind the hot turbo? Hose from hell and hose from hell on earth.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
4/2/15 10:03 p.m.
Datsun310Guy wrote:
BlueInGreen44 wrote: GM. The battery on my old Lumina was UNDER the washer fluid tank and a structural brace. Both of those things had to come out to give someone a jump start.
Ha ha ha ha. My son had one of those. I hated the car. I hated the 1986 Pontiac Grand Am SE V6 we had. And who mentioned sharp edges? Yes, all 4 GM cars Ive owned has left a scar on my arm.

Similar vintage mopars are just as infuriating since someone played "let's hide the battery" on most. I've found just in front of a front tire, under the rear seat, inside a side panel in the trunk, etc etc.

NGTD
NGTD UltraDork
4/2/15 10:07 p.m.

In reply to icaneat50eggs:

So am I and I was in early. Some E36 M3 just makes no sense!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/2/15 10:09 p.m.

Yes, but it would be nice to be able to direct the stream of fluid toward something, possibly a pan of some kind, instead of splashing it all over you when you drop the whole thing.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
4/2/15 10:17 p.m.

I've bitched about it before, but will do so again, because it pisses me off every time. The hole in the panel under my mazdaspeed3 that has no relationship to the location of the oil filter. Presumably it lines up with the location for a different version of the 3.

Having the remove said panel is annoying enough. Having that hole taunting me during the process is infuriating.

Cooper_Tired
Cooper_Tired Reader
4/2/15 10:26 p.m.
keethrax wrote: I've bitched about it before, but will do so again, because it pisses me off every time. The hole in the panel under my mazdaspeed3 that has no relationship to the location of the oil filter. Presumably it lines up with the location for a different version of the 3. Having the remove said panel is annoying enough. Having that hole taunting me during the process is infuriating.

I believe I read somewhere, that hole is for inspection during assembly, not for the remarkably logical purpose of oil changes.

I remember thinking "hell yea!" first time a crawled under my 3 to change the oil, then being really confused as to why it didn't line up

1 2 3 4 ... 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rhaIbH9Hn9fAZLtFXEzipboYuFLKxPSARrSkPsAznnPoVmqCg66zWFwhGNdYufMU